2021 Off-Road Package Bilstein 5100 Thunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

z0n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi with Etorque
Hi all,

I have a 2021 Laramie with the off road package. I have ReadyLift UCA's and Bilstein 5100's on setting #5. Ever since install I seem to get a "thunking" noise going over speed bumps or pot holes. It only happens when the suspension can droop and I have no issues if the wheels stay planted. Its almost as if the struts are topping out. I have checked for UCA's hitting the coil and also retorqued all of the bolts that were touched during install. I am thinking of dropping down to setting #4 soon to see if this fixes the problem. Does anyone have an idea on what else could be causing this issue?

My trucks measurements for reference:
Front before level: 37.75"
Back before level: 39.75"
Front after level: 39.5"
Back after level: 39.75"

1635959556007.png1635959755243.png

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Hi all,

I have a 2021 Laramie with the off road package. I have ReadyLift UCA's and Bilstein 5100's on setting #5. Ever since install I seem to get a "thunking" noise going over speed bumps or pot holes. It only happens when the suspension can droop and I have no issues if the wheels stay planted. Its almost as if the struts are topping out. I have checked for UCA's hitting the coil and also retorqued all of the bolts that were touched during install. I am thinking of dropping down to setting #4 soon to see if this fixes the problem. Does anyone have an idea on what else could be causing this issue?

My trucks measurements for reference:
Front before level: 37.75"
Back before level: 39.75"
Front after level: 39.5"
Back after level: 39.75"

View attachment 476168View attachment 476169
Your truck looks Great!! Ill start by saying the dust shield needs to be cut down clearly stated in the bilstein instructions. You hear a clunk when the suspension is unloading? Is the sound metal like? who did the install?

OP
OP
z0n3

z0n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi with Etorque
Your truck looks Great!! Ill start by saying the dust shield needs to be cut down clearly stated in the bilstein instructions. You hear a clunk when the suspension is unloading? Is the sound metal like? who did the install?
Appreciate the feedback!!
So with this being only on setting 5 the instructions didn’t call to cut the dust shields. I think if you go with setting 7 it called for it which I can’t due to the ORP. I did this install myself and had it aligned a couple hundred miles after install.

The noise isn’t metal like. It’s felt more through the floor board and is just like a solid thunk. I can’t even say it’s clanking because it doesn’t sound like two things hitting each other. It makes the noise when I go over a spot near my house where the rip rises up around a manhole cover a bit. I have to be going about 22-25mph at least to make the noise. It also makes the noise anytime I drive into a pothole no matter the speed. If it’s a decent size pothole it makes the same noise which makes me think it’s almost topping out.

OP
OP
z0n3

z0n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi with Etorque
Bilstein instructions that I followed down below. I wonder if the dust shield on mine could be popping over the top of the shock on full droop and popping back off on recoil? Although the noise I hear seems a bit loud for a piece of plastic.7EEA428A-0544-4175-9076-0FE4C2E3AB86.jpeg

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gotta agree with quick shifter…truck looks great!

Have you went back through and re torqued all the nuts/bolts, or at least checked them that they are not loose?

I have to agree with you, dosnt seem like that dust shield would be the culprit if you are getting a significant clunk…

OP
OP
z0n3

z0n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi with Etorque
Gotta agree with quick shifter…truck looks great!

Have you went back through and re torqued all the nuts/bolts, or at least checked them that they are not loose?

I have to agree with you, dosnt seem like that dust shield would be the culprit if you are getting a significant clunk…
Thank you! As for rechecking all torques - I have done that a couple of times now. I have sat under the truck and stared at each bolt I had to remove to install these and made sure it was torqued to spec. I’ve almost lost hope in finding the issue here and am relying on resetting my bilsteins to #4 to resolve the problem. For a while I thought it was the strut bottom bolts not torqued enough but those were up to spec.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmmmm. Yea, to me you make it sound like either a loose bolt or the shocks are topping out.

I am not really familiar with the half tons, but do these shocks reuse the factory springs? If so, I wonder if the off road package springs are too tall for using some of the upper settings, and the shock may be topping out….

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder if you could get several people to push/pull up and down on the bumper enough to get it to make the noise, while you lay under the truck listening/looking around.

I have also seen guys mount go pros under there in certain spots trying to find the culprit.

OP
OP
z0n3

z0n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi with Etorque
The 5100s do reuse the stock coils. I have thought about somehow filming the shock while driving but haven’t come up with a feasible way to do so. The truck is a tad nose high so I want to drop it down regardless. If the noise persists after that it might be time to go with a different setup or back to stock.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
The 5100s do reuse the stock coils. I have thought about somehow filming the shock while driving but haven’t come up with a feasible way to do so. The truck is a tad nose high so I want to drop it down regardless. If the noise persists after that it might be time to go with a different setup or back to stock.
Did you torque the shaft bolt? What did you use for a spring compressor?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Bilstein instructions that I followed down below. I wonder if the dust shield on mine could be popping over the top of the shock on full droop and popping back off on recoil? Although the noise I hear seems a bit loud for a piece of plastic.View attachment 476185
This is where destructions and common sense gets tested. Look at the clip locations and their spacing now look at how much they want you to cut off going from position 6 to 7 ???????

OP
OP
z0n3

z0n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi with Etorque
This is where destructions and common sense gets tested. Look at the clip locations and their spacing now look at how much they want you to cut off going from position 6 to 7 ???????
I figured it was odd to max them out on the ORP setting and not cut the dust boot. I do agree with you on that! As for the spring compressor I used two sets of the rentable ones from autozone and stuck 3 of them on it to work it down. I am almost wondering if I didn't compress them enough and bottom that strut nut out? I know its torqued to spec but that doesn't necessarily mean its bottomed out on the threads.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I figured it was odd to max them out on the ORP setting and not cut the dust boot. I do agree with you on that! As for the spring compressor I used two sets of the rentable ones from autozone and stuck 3 of them on it to work it down. I am almost wondering if I didn't compress them enough and bottom that strut nut out? I know its torqued to spec but that doesn't necessarily mean its bottomed out on the threads.
That’s normally what it is. The rental ones just don’t have the clamping power. The threads stretch on them before the coil goes down far enough. We see it a lot. You could try hitting the top bolt with an impact through the hole in the strut tower while the tires are on the ground. I have fixed a few that way. Just a quick zip don’t hold it and spin the shaft

OP
OP
z0n3

z0n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi with Etorque
That’s normally what it is. The rental ones just don’t have the clamping power. The threads stretch on them before the coil goes down far enough. We see it a lot. You could try hitting the top bolt with an impact through the hole in the strut tower while the tires are on the ground. I have fixed a few that way. Just a quick zip don’t hold it and spin the shaft
I can also see this scenario causing my thunk noise to only occur when i hit potholes/speed bumps. Im actually still planning to tear them down next week to put them on setting 4. I need a bit more rake back! Any advice if I use the rentable compressors? Or do I try and have a shop do it?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I can also see this scenario causing my thunk noise to only occur when i hit potholes/speed bumps. Im actually still planning to tear them down next week to put them on setting 4. I need a bit more rake back! Any advice if I use the rentable compressors? Or do I try and have a shop do it?
The rental ones are made for car springs. I also don’t trust shops to not impact the nut and spin the shaft (one of the reasons I opened a suspension shop) my recommendation would be to call around to some small shops and ask to use theirs or ask if you can watch. Smaller shops are are usually more accommodating to requests

OP
OP
z0n3

z0n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi with Etorque
The rental ones are made for car springs. I also don’t trust shops to not impact the nut and spin the shaft (one of the reasons I opened a suspension shop) my recommendation would be to call around to some small shops and ask to use theirs or ask if you can watch. Smaller shops are are usually more accommodating to requests
I see your point. I will have to try and see if I can find a shop I trust or a decent compressor myself. If I am dropping my bilsteins down to setting #4 do you still recommend I cut the dust shield down?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I see your point. I will have to try and see if I can find a shop I trust or a decent compressor myself. If I am dropping my bilsteins down to setting #4 do you still recommend I cut the dust shield down?
I normally always cut them down. The biggest reason being I like to see if any leaks or defects on the shaft. Check the bump stop clearance and see how close your tolerance is. They don’t compress far

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
are the Bilstien 5100"s better than the ones that come in the ORP..I put a set on my last truck, a gmc sierra 4x4 ccsb and took off the Ranchos. but since I use my ram to tow our travel trailer I dont want to change out the shocks if the oem ones that come with the ORP are better suited to the loads of towing.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bro doesn't the Bilstein need to be set to stock height with the 5100s? Remember the shop didnt lower mine to stock height and I had nothing but problems until they did. I beleive Readylift/Bilstein even says that the 5100's need to be lowered.

Me and quick shifter put my Bilsteins 5100's on my Ram and its at notch 6 and I have 0 clunk noises. I did have those noises it was with the stock suspension when I hit pot holes. I don't have that at all now with the 5100s at notch 6; so I dont think that is your problem. We removed my dust shield competely though....

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I've never used boots when installing aftermarket shocks. They seem to just trap water & crud. The rod scraper keeps the rod clean. :)