2023 dodge ram filling gas problems.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramsteen23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 23 1500 and there are three different gas stations in my area that I commonly use depending on the direction I'm headed and only one of them gives me issues when filling by constantly cutting off. The other two gas station pumps work fine...I chalked it up to a potential issue with the pump nozzle or the flow rate being too fast...read this online (below) after a quick search so it must be true ;)

A gas pump nozzle contains a venturi tube that sucks in air as gas enters your tank. When gas covers the tube, it triggers a valve to stop gas from pumping. A gas pump might stop pumping prematurely if the gas flow is too fast, if there’s a mechanical issue with the pump, or your car’s vent lines are damaged

I apologize if this was already mentioned...I didn't read through the entire thread. The issue the OP is experiencing might be unrelated but figured I would share it anyways in case its helpful to some.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 23 1500 and there are three different gas stations in my area that I commonly use depending on the direction I'm headed and only one of them gives me issues when filling by constantly cutting off. The other two gas station pumps work fine...I chalked it up to a potential issue with the pump nozzle or the flow rate being too fast...read this online (below) after a quick search so it must be true ;)

A gas pump nozzle contains a venturi tube that sucks in air as gas enters your tank. When gas covers the tube, it triggers a valve to stop gas from pumping. A gas pump might stop pumping prematurely if the gas flow is too fast, if there’s a mechanical issue with the pump, or your car’s vent lines are damaged

I apologize if this was already mentioned...I didn't read through the entire thread. The issue the OP is experiencing might be unrelated but figured I would share it anyways in case its helpful to some.
Where I live, they don't have the vapor return nozzles, you can hang the nozzle in just far enough to not fall out and the pump still works. The only thing that's on the handle is an anti-splash flap to keep gas from spitting back when it comes to a stop.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I posted on this subject prior (can't remember if it was in this thread or another). Having worked in the fueling industry for MANY years, I'm very familiar with how all of these items interact with each other. The post above regarding the nozzle venturi is accurate. Defeating the insert depth safety is not a good idea (how far the nozzle is inserted/resting into the filler neck). To expand on this, Ram/Dodge did a POOR job of making the filler neck angle. This results in people putting the nozzle spout in very shallow, allowing for the fuel to back further up the neck, closer to the entry port. Combine this with having to manipulate the splash guard to offset Ram's poor angle, you are making a recipe for backsplash landing on your vehicle, you, and on the ground. All of which creates a larger, ignitable vapor area. Unsafe for many reasons. Add another ingredient - a failed venturi/shut off valve assembly in the nozzle. These can fail in different forms. They can have a slow reaction time but still shut off (nozzle fully inserted properly into vehicle would still have time to shut off upon fill up, possibly slightly over-filling). Or they can completely fail and continue to dispense fuel, uncontrolled, all over your vehicle and onto the ground. I've worked MANY, MANY fuel spills from failed auto shut-off nozzles. And there are human elements to this where humans have decided to override the auto fill "full service clips" that hold open the nozzle during dispensing (people shoving wallets, tennis balls, etc into opening to hold handle open). Full service clips have been removed in many areas as they violate local fire codes or stations have elected to remove them to reduce the number of over-fill or unattended fueling situations. It is illegal, unlawful, DANGEROUS to leave motor vehicle fuel flowing unattended. E.G. dip your card, start the fuel flow, and head inside for a cup of coffee or a trip to the head. Meanwhile, nozzle doesn't shut off for whatever reason, fuel is flowing across the parking lot. In most cases, the clean up and any damage associated (fire, injury, death) falls back on the person who left the nozzle unattended. The full service clips are there for a convenience of not having to hold the nozzle open for 20 or 30+ gallons. The user is the primary safety device and defeating that (leaving the area or being in excess of "an arm's reach") makes you liable. I know that's driving way off topic, but some people need this information. Dispensers are required to not flow in excess of 10gpm (gallons per minute) to be compliant with onboard vapor control devices. Output from the dispenser beyond that causes some pollution control devices in certain vehicles to fail or give false failures. The exception to this rule is non-vapor controlled fuels (e.g. diesel, kerosene, aviation).

JcL RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I'm having same problem on my 2018 1500 3.6 V6. Only 24k mi on it. Can hear the fuel coming up the fill tube just before it shuts off, so something is preventing full flow into the tank. Even tried holding the lever only partially on, slow fill, that helped but I ran out of patience.
Have an appointment tomorrow with dealer to advise. Hope my extended warranty will cover it. Will update here...

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I'm having same problem on my 2018 1500 3.6 V6. Only 24k mi on it. Can hear the fuel coming up the fill tube just before it shuts off, so something is preventing full flow into the tank. Even tried holding the lever only partially on, slow fill, that helped but I ran out of patience.
Have an appointment tomorrow with dealer to advise. Hope my extended warranty will cover it. Will update here...
If it's a Mopar MaxCare ESP then yes it will be covered (minus your deductible).