3.5" 8 ohm speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Between e & e 2nd octave on the d string on a bass guitar is the meat punch of a bassline, then you want to have them carry over the tones from there on up. It's a beautiful thing, but too many variables factor in. Speakers are just one part of the equation which could wind up costing a fortune if one's not careful. But studio mix is a bunch of it too. If a bass is not mixed in properly (i.e. and justice for all) then it's a moot point to spend so much. lol And **** on Lars while I'm at it. :D
Lars is to blame and he's on record saying he handcuffed the bass guitar on the final mix....*******.
The struggle is real when it comes to tight, midbass output and accurate bass guitar reproduction. I firmly believe it ALMOST impossible with a two-way configuration (midbass/tweeter) simply because the midbass speaker (specifically the popular 6.5" size) is asked to do too much...reproduce the girth of the actual low notes, but also play the midrange frequencies which deliver the string slap on frets/pickups etc...I think of Korn's bass guitar sound, or other funky slap bass players. A couple things I have found to help (IF you're stuck with a two-way)
Find a subwoofer that is comfortable playing up to 120hz or possibly 150hz and utilize a shallow slope so the drop off isn't too apparent and your sub can take some load off the midbass speakers. A former IASCA champion used a single 10" sub crossed very high, then had a 4" midrange and tweeter. I forget the sub, but the front stage was Illusion speakers, and it was in a RAM.
OR, find a 7"+ midbass speaker that is comfortable playing midrange frequencies alongside a tweeter that can take over around 2000hz on up (Dynaudio's tweeters can do this with ease).
OR, go to 3-way front stage, and get a 8"+ midbass, dedicated midrange, tweeter. Not impossible to fit a 8"+ midbass into a RAM, but it aint gonna drop right in.
I said **** it and went with a 10" midbass, 4" mid, tweeter.....I am getting close to sonic bliss but more tuning is needed.
Again, the struggle is real

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lars is to blame and he's on record saying he handcuffed the bass guitar on the final mix....*******.
The struggle is real when it comes to tight, midbass output and accurate bass guitar reproduction. I firmly believe it ALMOST impossible with a two-way configuration (midbass/tweeter) simply because the midbass speaker (specifically the popular 6.5" size) is asked to do too much...reproduce the girth of the actual low notes, but also play the midrange frequencies which deliver the string slap on frets/pickups etc...I think of Korn's bass guitar sound, or other funky slap bass players. A couple things I have found to help (IF you're stuck with a two-way)
Find a subwoofer that is comfortable playing up to 120hz or possibly 150hz and utilize a shallow slope so the drop off isn't too apparent and your sub can take some load off the midbass speakers. A former IASCA champion used a single 10" sub crossed very high, then had a 4" midrange and tweeter. I forget the sub, but the front stage was Illusion speakers, and it was in a RAM.
OR, find a 7"+ midbass speaker that is comfortable playing midrange frequencies alongside a tweeter that can take over around 2000hz on up (Dynaudio's tweeters can do this with ease).
OR, go to 3-way front stage, and get a 8"+ midbass, dedicated midrange, tweeter. Not impossible to fit a 8"+ midbass into a RAM, but it aint gonna drop right in.
I said **** it and went with a 10" midbass, 4" mid, tweeter.....I am getting close to sonic bliss but more tuning is needed.

I’m strongly considering the audiofrog 6x9 in the doors, infinity 300m in the dash, and my morel tw1 in the sails for a 3 way. Having the 6x9 run 50-60 range up to the 200hz, the 3.5 up to 5-6k.

Love korns bass sound. Or some good ol Fleetwood Mac for a mellow smooth roll.

Man did we derail this thread

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I’m strongly considering the audiofrog 6x9 in the doors, infinity 300m in the dash, and my morel tw1 in the sails for a 3 way. Having the 6x9 run 50-60 range up to the 200hz, the 3.5 up to 5-6k.

Not gonna lie, I enjoyed reading it! Hahaha

OP
OP
sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like I said, there are so many things and ways to configure. Cheap and decent is my route. lol. I had some JBL 6x9's in my last truck and really liked the way they sounded. So I might just go with a pair of them again. I also have a 10" sub in a foxbox that I'll put back in it eventually but want to save up and get a new head unit and the idatalink maestro for it as well. It'll be a saving in progress and a project in the future.

I've heard of audiofrog, but have never heard them. The price of them kind of negates the want or need to. lol.

Fieldy is clacky. All lows and highs. No mids. But the Fleetwood Mac. Nice bass and kick mix. lol

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like I said, there are so many things and ways to configure. Cheap and decent is my route. lol. I had some JBL 6x9's in my last truck and really liked the way they sounded. So I might just go with a pair of them again. I also have a 10" sub in a foxbox that I'll put back in it eventually but want to save up and get a new head unit and the idatalink maestro for it as well. It'll be a saving in progress and a project in the future.

I've heard of audiofrog, but have never heard them. The price of them kind of negates the want or need to. lol.

Fieldy is clacky. All lows and highs. No mids. But the Fleetwood Mac. Nice bass and kick mix. lol

Audiofrog is owned and built by an audio enthusiast not a huge company just making speakers that look good on paper. The 6.5 are regarded as some of the best mid bass on the market. The 6x9s are affordable enough for me to justify them. I’d love to get the GB40 but I do t want to hack up my dash, and the GB25 will be just a hair to narrow for the frequency range I need that speaker to cover. I’ve yet heard a bad thing about an audiofrog product. In fact over in DIYMA they are pretty much worshiped and for good reason.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Those audiofrog speakers look awesome. Nice specs. Would like to hear them in person.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Then you’re gonna hate my suggestions. LOL

The Audio Development W800NEO is a shallow 8” that plays cleanly into the midrange and will put out some serious midbass. They ain’t cheap though. I have a pair of them in boxes waiting for me to decide if they are better than my current midbasses.

OP
OP
sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Then you’re gonna hate my suggestions. LOL

The Audio Development W800NEO is a shallow 8” that plays cleanly into the midrange and will put out some serious midbass. They ain’t cheap though. I have a pair of them in boxes waiting for me to decide if they are better than my current midbasses.
Here's my dilemma. I wouldn't mind getting a nice set up, but I don't want a divorce and would like to keep my balls attached to me. :superhack:. On that note, I can get away with some stuff, just have to make it in small increments.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Cant beat infinity 300M midranges for the price. Love mine, night and day better than the JLs I had previously.

C2844374-BEED-4116-B87A-1A407D20ECF7.jpeg

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would they work wideband tweeterless or do they roll off too early. Paper stats only tell a small part of the story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am running 100 rms to the infinity 3.5’s and have rockford power 6.5 components with tweeters in the sails. Running 175 rms to them. Everything comes together nicely.
Tried amplifying the JLs, wasn’t impressed at all.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Cant beat infinity 300M midranges for the price. Love mine, night and day better than the JLs I had previously.

View attachment 140544

Jeez those are a beefy looking speaker.

I've been looking at the 6.5's and 6x9's made by them. Sadly my experience with one company has made me re-evaluate what my upgrades are going to be and where I will get them....

OP
OP
sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I really like Hertz. I've been looking at the 6x9's on Crutchfield but they won't fit. I don't think. Maybe with some adjustments, they might. I do have the Hertz 3.5's and put the resistors on them. That did help tame them down a bit. But they sound really good. Clear mids. The treble can get harsh if you aren't careful, but nothing like the Kicker 3.5's I had previously. Those things were horrible. I'm glad they blew when they did. lol. Those Infinity's look really nice. I just wonder how they would be treble wise.

Edit: Actually, these might work. Might have to do some modifying, but maybe not. It'd be worth a shot. I know it's the cheaper line, but the dimensions to fit are close to what might work.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_301X690/Hertz-Uno-X-690.html?tp=105

Last edited:

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really like Hertz. I've been looking at the 6x9's on Crutchfield but they won't fit. I don't think. Maybe with some adjustments, they might. I do have the Hertz 3.5's and put the resistors on them. That did help tame them down a bit. But they sound really good. Clear mids. The treble can get harsh if you aren't careful, but nothing like the Kicker 3.5's I had previously. Those things were horrible. I'm glad they blew when they did. lol. Those Infinity's look really nice. I just wonder how they would be treble wise.

Edit: Actually, these might work. Might have to do some modifying, but maybe not. It'd be worth a shot. I know it's the cheaper line, but the dimensions to fit are close to what might work.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_301X690/Hertz-Uno-X-690.html?tp=105

I have my 3.5” infinity’s crossovers so they don’t play the highs they are not suppose to. My component tweeters handle that job very well in the sail panels.
I have the rockford power 3 way 6x9’s in my rear doors amplified, and they give more bass than my 6.5 rockford power components up front. Look into those. Those hertz 6x9’s don’t look to handle much power you listed.

OP
OP
sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have my 3.5” infinity’s crossovers so they don’t play the highs they are not suppose to. My component tweeters handle that job very well in the sail panels.
I have the rockford power 3 way 6x9’s in my rear doors amplified, and they give more bass than my 6.5 rockford power components up front. Look into those. Those hertz 6x9’s don’t look to handle much power you listed.
They handle 85 watts rms which is more than plenty than what I'd need. That's another thing is I'm debating if I'd want to put tweeters in the sail. I don't want to tear it up too much. lol

They're too deep. Wouldn't fit.