3:73 to 4:10 cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Yes, also 100% correct 62. As you said, if all else was equal and I could have purchased a 10 geared truck for similar money back then, I would have. I'd have had to order one and didnt want to wait or they'd have had to bring one in from another dealership, but the cost would have been more.

So after driving them back to back and feeling no seat of the pants difference, with the weight I was towing, for me personally, it wasn't worth the effort to get a 10 geared truck. In my opinion, once your north of 10k loaded trailer weight your pushing into Cummins territory, regardless of what gear set your running. The 6.4 makes good power and can do heavier weights, especially with a gear change, but fuel mileage really takes a hit if you tow often and heavy with the 6.4.

Last edited:

nekkidhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I have an extended warranty I paid a lot of money for that covers me for another 65k miles or 4 years. Not doing anything that'll void that warranty.
but you are going to regear it...........

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
well i was going to say that will void that warranty too lol.
Honestly I mainly bought the warranty for the engine and tranny since those are the main big ticket items that seemed to have issues. I could live without the back end of the truck not being covered but my luck sure as I did the rear end swap the engine would go and warranty company would blame it in the rear end and decline coverage.

Omegasupreme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's your lesson and lesson to anyone who wants to tow, don't get a gasser. It's that simple. These 6.4 are not made for being efficient while towing, at all. I have learned my lesson.

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Here's your lesson and lesson to anyone who wants to tow, don't get a gasser. It's that simple.
I'll respectfully disagree. I believe many who drive diesels really don't need the diesel engine except for a couple times a year and could easily get by on a gas engine. Diesels are more expensive than gas engines to drive for the average once every few weekends hauler.

I do agree for those who are wanting decent gas mileage towing a gas engine is not the way to go. But again I think many step over a dollar to save a dime going with a diesel over a gas.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll respectfully disagree. I believe many who drive diesels really don't need the diesel engine except for a couple times a year and could easily get by on a gas engine. Diesels are more expensive than gas engines to drive for the average once every few weekends hauler.

I do agree for those who are wanting decent gas mileage towing a gas engine is not the way to go. But again I think many step over a dollar to save a dime going with a diesel over a gas.
I agree. Nothing against diesels at all and they have their place. A lot of people I talk to think they "need" a diesel to tow anything where as a gasser would do fine. Granted, if I was towing a heavy trailer on a regular basis I would get a diesel but simply don't need one to tow a fairly light trailer 5-6 times a year.....especially when you consider the $10k+ upfront cost increase and 40% higher fuel costs right now!

Omegasupreme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have to look at all variables.
What's your time worth? How many more fuel station stops do you have to make? Even when not towing a diesel smokes a gasser.
Don't get me started on a headwind. The 6.4 will dip to single digits on that as well. If you tow once a year under 400 miles, then perfect. But if you have a boat, dump trailer or want to be able to tow most things...a 6.4 is not the answer. Most half tons can out tow a 6.4 now.

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
I’ll admit I thought the 6.4 would have more power and my 6.4 doesn’t quite have the power as the F150 ecoboost I had did. Yep that was disappointing for sure.

I think diesels are a good fit for some just not for me.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Gas here is 5.20 Canadian a gallon, so about 3 bucks U.S., diesel is 8 bucks Canadian. The diesel being more expensive has been true for at least 6 years. You can't get enough better mileage to make that work so the only reason to get the diesel is if you have to have the torque to pull nearly full time or your company supplies diesel.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I am curious. How do you calculate that into US dollars per gallon? On Gasbuddy looking at Edmunton fuel statyion, most of the fuel stations that pop up say 153.9¢ Does that mean it is $1.539 per? To convert to Canadian cost per gallon, would I then multiply by 3.78 since that is how many gallons in a liter? Then convert that to US?

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
You have to look at all variables.
What's your time worth? How many more fuel station stops do you have to make? Even when not towing a diesel smokes a gasser.
Don't get me started on a headwind. The 6.4 will dip to single digits on that as well. If you tow once a year under 400 miles, then perfect. But if you have a boat, dump trailer or want to be able to tow most things...a 6.4 is not the answer. Most half tons can out tow a 6.4 now.
I get over 17mpg average on the highway running empty. What does your diesel get in similar conditions? I've never gotten single digits on the highway, even towing was 11 to 12 plus mpg.

I think the 6.4 gets excellent fuel mileage considering its pushing around a 7klb brick, but that's just me.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I was playing a little lose with the numbers. For exact figuring, I get gas at ufa cardlocks, was 1.315 per litre when I filled up today times 3.79 litres per gallon is 4.98 Canadian. Diesel is 1.90 canadian at ufa. Most other places are higher. Canadian dollar is .723 so should actually be about 3.62 a gallon for gas in us dollars so a bit more than the 3 I ball parked it at. Diesel would be about 5.25 U.S. still a 1.60 a gallon diff.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I’ll admit I thought the 6.4 would have more power and my 6.4 doesn’t quite have the power as the F150 ecoboost I had did. Yep that was disappointing for sure.

I think diesels are a good fit for some just not for me.
Really not fair to compare any 2500 series truck, which is a piece of equipment compared to a light weight 1/2 ton glorified car with a bed on it. Especially an aluminum can f150

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Really not fair to compare any 2500 series truck, which is a piece of equipment compared to a light weight 1/2 ton glorified car with a bed on it. Especially an aluminum can f150
I know I’m not alone in thinking when someone moves from a 1/2 ton truck to a 3/4 ton truck the 3/4 ton should at least have equal towing power. I don’t think that’s an unrealistic expectation.

The Ram 6.4 as it is currently is either in its way out or due for a makeover in my opinion. Ford and Chevy realized they were making half ton trucks. that had more torque than their 3/4 tons so Ford is making changes by doing away with their 6.2 and replacing it with a ramped up 6.8. Ford will still have the 7.3 gas. Chevy or GM already made the move to their 6.6 gas and in 2024 will couple that with their 10 speed Allison. Ram will have no choice but to keep up eventually again in my opinion.

Omegasupreme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I get over 17mpg average on the highway running empty. What does your diesel get in similar conditions? I've never gotten single digits on the highway, even towing was 11 to 12 plus mpg.

I think the 6.4 gets excellent fuel mileage considering its pushing around a 7klb brick, but that's just me.
You must be driving 55. I put a single axle trailer with a mower on it and its 9-10. It's like the computer knows when a trailer is hooked up and immediately dumps fuel.
If I put a fully loaded dump trailer, 4-5 mpg. Maybe.

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
You must be driving 55. I put a single axle trailer with a mower on it and its 9-10. It's like the computer knows when a trailer is hooked up and immediately dumps fuel.
This is in line with what I get. My computer is always 1.5-2 mpg higher than actual. Last time I pulled my 9200 lb TT running around 65 mph mostly flat highway computer was between 5-6 mpg. Best I’ve ever gotten was 14.5 hand calculated flat interstate running around 70. Computer read 16.8.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Negative. That's around 70mph, average. And there are others I know who have similar results.