4x4 with no tow hooks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you go with a trailer hitch recovery point, I believe a hitch receiver with a shackle would be stronger than the trailer hitch tow loop.

1711626776048.jpeg

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Just want to vent here….I was kind of shocked when I found out that my truck did not have tow hooks on it? Ram messed this one up! If your going to engineer a truck with all these fancy options, like your emergency brake won’t disengage with out your seat belt on, don’t forget the essentials. I look at it this way, if you have 4-wheel drive for anything other than conversation you will either need a tow hook to pull someone else out or maybe yourself. Okay I feel better now!

I did find a set online and installed. kind of need them in the construction world with all the mud!
You can have tow hooks put on, but it's costly! Four years ago the hooks were about $400 plust shop time

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 4X4, Sport and Tow packages.
Definitely annoying to realize your 4X4 doesn't have recovery hooks. My wifes Ford Expedition does have them. I will be using mine to tow my Jeep, so hopefully won't need it. Though you never know.

There have been times where the offroad area gets flooded and everyone gets stuck. So probably buy the hitch mounted recovery point.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmmm opt to disagree with those who say they are something not needed if you don't get stuck in the mud. Nice to have...and on the front not the bull ring on your hitch as sometimes you are not facing the right way when helping some lady with a minivan out of a snowbank on a road going one way and she is in front of you so you cannot turn around because of the traffic behind you..worked like a charm.. a great mod on any 4 x4...just my 2 cents..i'm happy, not bold, brave or a clown as mentioned by Lstadelmeier..just a person who helps others out if needed...because my Hemi has the tools!

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You can have tow hooks put on, but it's costly! Four years ago the hooks were about $400 plust shop time

I put mine on like 2 weeks after purchase, bought the hooks off of amazon or an online ram dealer and put them in myself. I'm not the best wrencher around so if I can do it anyone can, hardest part was knocking out the factory bolts as they have a "catch" at the end of the bolt which requires some force to push them out through the hole.

I'd never even consider towing anything without front towhooks.

Tow hooks + rear locker/limited slip + 4x4 + v8 are the basic requirements for me lol.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The fact these P.O.S 1500s have no front locker option is what's actually concerning.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tow hooks look cool even if you dont use them. I made sure to put some on.

They're also for recovering your vehicle. I wouldn't recover anyone in reverse unless it was necessary.

Joseph Godvin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2016 didn't come with the hooks, I have several trailers, I installed a front 2" hitch for moving trailers around and it came with hooks welded on the side plates !!!

Neomoritate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've driven a variety of AWD cars, 4X4 trucks and SUV's over a couple decades. Chicago, Michigan, Wisconsin winters, dirt roads, muddy farms, etc. Never needed Tow Hooks. The vast majority of 4X4 vehicles are never operated Off Road, the 4X4 is for snow and mud.
If you're one of the very few drivers who need tow hooks, they are readily available, and they bolt right on.