5.7 LIFTER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2021 RAM 5.7 LIFTER PROBLEM.

DEALER CALLED ME TODAY AFTER THE TRUCK STAYED IN THE SHOP OVER A WEEK.

TRUCK HAS 1200 MILES NOW AND LIFTERS TAPPING. DEALER REFUSES TO ADDRESS THE MATTER SAYING THE ENGINE IS OPERATING AS DESIGNED.

NEVER WILL BUY ANOTHER MOPAR!!

KC5TGQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
It may be the Hemi tick you are hearing. It's no big deal. Now if it is a lifter eating into the cam, that's a whole different matter. Drive the truck for a month or two and see how it goes.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best bet is to drain the oil and run a good synthetic. Amsoil, penzoil ultra, or redline. It’ll quiet down. The crap oil the dealer uses causes a lot of trucks to be noisy. It’s not uncommon.

OP
OP
AJNY

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks but I am furious.
I was a Ford mechanic back in the early 80’s and worked on NYC Taxi Cabs before Ford.
I haven’t encountered anything like this with a Ford engine. I had dozens of older MOPARS and own a 73 Dodge Dart Sport H Code 340. All my engines were quiet.
My 2009 5.7 was quiet.
WTF has happened to MOPAR.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would ask for a refusal letter from dealer, if they say no, go see a lemon lawyer immediately. You have rights, but you need to exercise them or lose them, lemon lawyers don't charge you anything upfront, they work on contingency and if case goes to court is often force to be paid by dealer. If you lose you pay nothing but filing fee. I wouldn't try a lubrication strategy until you have them on recording refusing to fix it. This will likely be my last Mopar as well, in fact I will likely never buy a new vehicle, I'd be more inclined to fix older ones that were built better. 90's Fords with those Windsors have a special place in my thoughts, best engines I have owned. I'm not a HP junky or have needs for it, so the hemi is overkill for me personally.

Mine started this at 3500 miles, we at ram forum developed lubrication strategies to deal with this and had very good success rates. It is a large deal in 4 gen as you can imagine the shear number of hemi ticks on this board. Look at these polls and results, the redline poll you can see the ram forum members who killed this tick.

Now, these strategies are not supported by the dealer, if you have a failure you should tow truck home and change oil before letting them touch it, they will likely test the oil in that case. If you try these strategies please vote yeah or nay depending on success or not in those threads. Now, the science of molybdenum is that it takes time to plate, which then kills the tick, this can take 500-1700 miles. My tick was silenced at 500 mile mark, has been butter smooth for over a decade. This has an 80% success rate, not bad for an oil change. Do yourself another favor, but a royal purple filter 20-820 if you do this. I'd go redline 5w30, it is hemi honey and has had the best results on the board for any hemi, 5.7 mds or 6.4, when it comes to hemi tick.

Read these threads.. PM me if you have any questions, sorry to hear yet another one of these with so few miles and a krap dealer.

did redline kill your hemi tick poll

did lubegard kill hemi tick poll

OP
OP
AJNY

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I filed a complaint with RAM customer care.
I told them the 5.7 has a defect.
Nothing they can do.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Listen to what Burla just said .get everything documented.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I filed a complaint with RAM customer care.
I told them the 5.7 has a defect.
Nothing they can do.
You live in NY, you have massive protection, you can just take it or simply ask a lemon law lawyer to take the case. This case would never make it to court, there would be a settlement in the form of several thousand dollars. I filed a lemon law case on a suspension piece, I received 13k before the case went to court, the lawyer took 3, I got a check for 10 grand. During the process I did my own research the lawyer used, I found a tsb on the issue, case closed. There is so much out there on hemi tick leading to cam failure it isnt even funny. The deny people because they expect most of them to not fight it, but that anger will eat you up but revenge is like eating sweat pie. Take the time to make a phone call, but don't call the same people that already told you to f off, call someone different, call yourself a lemon lawyer, what do you have to lose?

Here's the thing partner, it costs manu's more to go to court then settle, and if in fact you have a case as you do, then they would never challenge it. Good luck either way, peace

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You have to have specific things to qualify, you need several repair attempts, or a refusal to fix it, a lawyer will help you receive either if you arent getting service. If you sit on your hands, expect to shell out 8-9 grand on a cam at some point. I like you had a refusal to fix, they simply didnt think it rose to the level of a lawsuit, WRONGGGGG, I got paid.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
I have a question on the dreaded Hemi Tick. I have a noticeable tick at a hot idle. You never hear it on a cold start up or with any higher rpm. Im on my second OCI with Redline 5w30 and RP filter...
If I take it into the dealer to be looked at will an aftermarket 190 thermostat, partially removed air shutters and oil catch can void my warranty ?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There is what actually voids warranty, and what fca says voids warranty. I don't know, it would depend on what a judge says. That is literally the first time I heard of a hemi having warm idle tick and not cold tick. What about warm idle tick if you kick idle up? So you only get tick in low rpm? Because cold rpm's are higher then warm rpm. Have you even youtubed the warm idle tick? if you do pm me.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
There is what actually voids warranty, and what fca says voids warranty. I don't know, it would depend on what a judge says. That is literally the first time I heard of a hemi having warm idle tick and not cold tick. What about warm idle tick if you kick idle up? So you only get tick in low rpm? Because cold rpm's are higher then warm rpm. Have you even youtubed the warm idle tick? if you do pm me.

Ive been paying attention to the truck just about every time I start it and when I park, before shutting the engine down. On cold starts I let the truck do its start up procedure with the high idle for about 30 seconds. After the truck slows down to a low idle rpm, but engine is still cold, no tick. After driving to work ill let the truck idle in park just to listen and it has a noticeable tick to it.

I got the truck with 20k miles on it. I now have 27k miles on it. Ive changed the oil twice already in those 7k miles. Both times with Redline 5w30. First time was with a RP 10-48 and this last time with a RP 20-820 filter. Also to note, This last oil change I added 1/3 of a bottle of Lubegard along with the oil. I didnt use the whole bottle because I just wanted to see what would happen in regards to the tick. Its still there.

Ill try to get video / audio of the sound. It could possibly be the exhaust manifold, but I dont know.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ive been paying attention to the truck just about every time I start it and when I park, before shutting the engine down. On cold starts I let the truck do its start up procedure with the high idle for about 30 seconds. After the truck slows down to a low idle rpm, but engine is still cold, no tick. After driving to work ill let the truck idle in park just to listen and it has a noticeable tick to it.

I got the truck with 20k miles on it. I now have 27k miles on it. Ive changed the oil twice already in those 7k miles. Both times with Redline 5w30. First time was with a RP 10-48 and this last time with a RP 20-820 filter. Also to note, This last oil change I added 1/3 of a bottle of Lubegard along with the oil. I didnt use the whole bottle because I just wanted to see what would happen in regards to the tick. Its still there.

Ill try to get video / audio of the sound. It could possibly be the exhaust manifold, but I dont know.
So the difference in when the oil is still cold which is sounds like you figured out is the viscosity is thicker, and that is keeping tick away, when the oil gets hot, of course the oil is thinner, and you are hearing tick, so you are trying to skin this cat by putting a thermo stat in? I guess the other thing to try is redline 5w40. Bummer, I am surprised this doesnt happen more often, my guess when we first started all this was more engine would fall into these weird zones where the answer is just barely avoiding us. Have you tried other brands of oil?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm not a huge fan of mos2, but we have had some guys run it and kill ticks. Mind you it is moly in suspension and it can fall out, but in this case that might be a better answer then oil soluble. I' not recommending it, just putting forth as an example of another thing you can try without running gear oil your in engine. When you change your oil with mos2 in it, you should do so when warm, get it all out.

if you try mos2 you have to give it time to plate, at least 500 miles.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
So the difference in when the oil is still cold which is sounds like you figured out is the viscosity is thicker, and that is keeping tick away, when the oil gets hot, of course the oil is thinner, and you are hearing tick, so you are trying to skin this cat by putting a thermo stat in? I guess the other thing to try is redline 5w40. Bummer, I am surprised this doesnt happen more often, my guess when we first started all this was more engine would fall into these weird zones where the answer is just barely avoiding us. Have you tried other brands of oil?

Havent tried other brands of oil yet. The thermostat, shutter removal, and catch can arent related to the tick, I was just wondering about the possible warranty work with aftermarket parts and mods installed.
I will try a little heavier oil on the next oil change.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Havent tried other brands of oil yet. The thermostat, shutter removal, and catch can arent related to the tick, I was just wondering about the possible warranty work with aftermarket parts and mods installed.
I will try a little heavier oil on the next oil change.
was it worse before the redline?

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
was it worse before the redline?

I honestly dont know. I only drove the truck about a week before I dumped the factory oil and filter.
And the tick isnt loud, but definitely doesnt sound like my buttery smooth 2017 did...

OP
OP
AJNY

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe so long as you use the recommended oil viscosity you will be fine.
Make sure you have all your receipts.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
Thanks but I am furious.
I was a Ford mechanic back in the early 80’s and worked on NYC Taxi Cabs before Ford.
I haven’t encountered anything like this with a Ford engine. I had dozens of older MOPARS and own a 73 Dodge Dart Sport H Code 340. All my engines were quiet.
My 2009 5.7 was quiet.
WTF has happened to MOPAR.
I have dealt with a new engine on the 2014 f150 5.0 with valve issues with 104k. I am right now dealing with a 2013 Lariat with a dead cylinder with 113k. Ford knows the issue but will not help. Both needed a 4800.00 Ford reman engine. Oil changes with syn oil.

On my new Ram, I put BG MOA at the oil change and hve quited down the lifters. Not a chemist or an engineer but I learned something from my 1950 Ford Flathead. They need zinc to keep things quit. This note and a dollar will get you a cup of senior coffe at Mc Donalds.