5" Tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Moe's all the way. I like how meaty they look with the rolled lip versus the thin looking Carven.

I had the Moe's tips pictured above except they were chrome. I was very pleased when they came in the mail because of the fit and finish.

See, I’m the opposite. I didn’t care for that rolled lip on the factory tips, and those Moe’s tips just look like a larger version of what what came installed from the factory.

But I’m curious- the chrome tips from Moe’s; are they just chrome plated steel like the factory tips, or are they actually polished stainless like the Carven tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the straight carvens and really want the slant cut ones if anyone wants a trade :)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I didn’t even know Carven made straight-cut tips.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Carven polished 5” slanted. On my 2nd set bc I had a very slight rust around the welds and they replaced for free no questions asked.

View attachment 161049

View attachment 161050

View attachment 161051

View attachment 161052

View attachment 161053

That’s odd, I figured there wouldn’t be no rust if they were made of stainless steel. Hell, for 200 bucks a pair they should be. Glad Carven made it right for ya.

I figured since their mufflers are stainless that the tips would be too.

Other than just wanting bigger diameter tips, that was one of the main things that convinced me to buy the kit was because I thought those tips wouldn’t get all rusty like the stock tips could over time.

Inside Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
See, I’m the opposite. I didn’t care for that rolled lip on the factory tips, and those Moe’s tips just look like a larger version of what what came installed from the factory.

But I’m curious- the chrome tips from Moe’s; are they just chrome plated steel like the factory tips, or are they actually polished stainless like the Carven tips?

You hit it right on the head for me. I like subtle changes and being that the Moe's tips looked just like factory but bigger fit the bill perfectly for my tast.

I'm pretty shure they are in fact chrome plated but I ordered them so far back a cant remember for certain.

Inside Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm really missing the Hemi and duel exhaust for my new 19 classic.

I feal like without the DODM80 for sound and the looks of the 5" tips it's only half the truck.

I'm happy with the Pentistar but........

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think Matt's are chromed, I think they are polished.
Jay

Inside Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't think Matt's are chromed, I think they are polished.
Jay
Thanks for the correction. I know either way he sells great products and had I got another Hemi, those tips would have been my first mod.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is quite a discussion on Moe's Performance thread in the vendor section about different tips and different problems some people have had with various brands. Matt has provided some good information about tips a couple of times and it is well worth the read so people understand just what some of the problems are and how to properly take care of the tips for the longest longevity no matter what brand you buy.
Jay

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
That’s odd, I figured there wouldn’t be no rust if they were made of stainless steel. Hell, for 200 bucks a pair they should be. Glad Carven made it right for ya.

I figured since their mufflers are stainless that the tips would be too.

Other than just wanting bigger diameter tips, that was one of the main things that convinced me to buy the kit was because I thought those tips wouldn’t get all rusty like the stock tips could over time.

There shouldn’t be, they state 304 which shouldn’t rust for a long long time if at all. Which is why they have a 100 yr warranty. All they asked for was pics and I had new tips in a few days. I think they said there was a batch of tips that had contamination and my guess would be the welds as it was barely anything and only at the edge of the welds... maybe a mixup of not great 304 was used in welding or maybe they didn’t use the correct 308 fill who knows.

There mufflers are 409 SS I believe which will rust after a few years. 304 is better and 321 is the best but hella $$.

Here’s a pic of the rust on the ones they took back.

6C1826F3-B5B5-4EF7-A0D5-C789F8208C4D.jpeg

1DBD4001-F7BB-4D04-AE95-3494B71BCF22.jpeg

302807B0-3804-4C13-BB8C-8861B2DD8CE5.jpeg

2E47715B-BE7C-4FF1-905F-370E05ADD422.jpeg

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Carvens are much shorter than the Moes 5" tips. I think I get a deeper rumble with 5-6" more runtime at width.

You won’t knotice. I’ve run full 5” double walled tips and didn’t notice anything compared to the carvens, compared to stock both we’re slightly louder and deeper.

I personally don’t like tips that protrude to far out... reminds me of redneck style exhausts with the tips pushed way past the bumper. Which is why I went with the carvens. Also carvens had a sale and I got them right from them for like $179 shipped or something and moes weren’t on sale or doesn’t have promo codes at the time. I also prefer double walled but hate rolled edge with a passion but has to be slanted, carvens checked more boxes and was cheaper and I’m very happy with them.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You won’t knotice. I’ve run full 5” double walled tips and didn’t notice anything compared to the carvens, compared to stock both we’re slightly louder and deeper.

I personally don’t like tips that protrude to far out... reminds me of redneck style exhausts with the tips pushed way past the bumper. Which is why I went with the carvens. Also carvens had a sale and I got them right from them for like $179 shipped or something and moes weren’t on sale or doesn’t have promo codes at the time. I also prefer double walled but hate rolled edge with a passion but has to be slanted, carvens checked more boxes and was cheaper and I’m very happy with them.

I think what he meant was the area back towards the front of the tip where it clamps to the tail pipes. Overall, both brands of tips are probably roughly the same length from end to end. From what I saw in the picture, it looks as tho the 5” portion of the tip is longer than on the Carven. Personally I don’t think it matters, it’s still a 5” tip.

But on that other part, I think rolled edges look better on an old muscle car and the other looks better on trucks.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like the Carvin tips, probably because thats what I have on the truck...lol

Screenshot_20190403-170946_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20190403-170445_Photos.jpg

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I think what he meant was the area back towards the front of the tip where it clamps to the tail pipes. Overall, both brands of tips are probably roughly the same length from end to end. From what I saw in the picture, it looks as tho the 5” portion of the tip is longer than on the Carven. Personally I don’t think it matters, it’s still a 5” tip.

But on that other part, I think rolled edges look better on an old muscle car and the other looks better on trucks.

It matters. Larger volume, more resonance.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It matters. Larger volume, more resonance.

Were not talking that larger of volume but, you’ve tried both tips with the same muffler and you can tell enough difference?

Mine go straight out the back so, it may sound louder/deeper to everyone else but in the cab, I don’t doubt at all that were not talking enough difference to matter between the two.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm kinda in the same mindset as another post mentioned - I like them, but am not spending $200 bucks on a set of tips. Anybody know of alternative that doesn't cost an arm and leg to get the 5" tips?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm kinda in the same mindset as another post mentioned - I like them, but am not spending $200 bucks on a set of tips. Anybody know of alternative that doesn't cost an arm and leg to get the 5" tips?

Well with the stock tail pipes, you could always go with a weld-on, or you might even be able to find a set of aftermarket universal tips that clamp on but either way, you’d have to cut off the balled ends in order to do that.

Who knows, maybe perhaps part of the high-price of these might just be attributed to the fact that they bolt on just like, and in the same exact location as the factory tips, I dunno.

I know they were pricy, but I think they were well worth the cost. Easy to put on, easy to adjust to get them exactly straight. My only worry is how well the polished stainless holds up.