5TH Gen HD Proximity Entry DIY Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Digger Dan 188

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 HD Big Horn
Engine
Cummins 6.7 370HP
Forgive me if I missed the thread on this in the Gen 5 forums. If I did please point me there.

I need to add proximity entry to my 2019 2500 Big Horn! I had it on my 2016 Longhorn and miss it desperately! But is has to be OEM and not a generic kit from someone. I have found very informative threads on adding it to the 1500's but nothing on the HDs. The limited understanding I have is that the HDs have different componets the the 1500s.

I have seen verbage from a number of Big Horn HD owners that they assumed Keyless Entry was the same as Keyless Entry & Go. And it is not! Lots have expressed intrest in adding it also.

Can anyone out there help us?

Be Safe out there fellas!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Forgive me if I missed the thread on this in the Gen 5 forums. If I did please point me there.

I need to add proximity entry to my 2019 2500 Big Horn! I had it on my 2016 Longhorn and miss it desperately! But is has to be OEM and not a generic kit from someone. I have found very informative threads on adding it to the 1500's but nothing on the HDs. The limited understanding I have is that the HDs have different componets the the 1500s.

I have seen verbage from a number of Big Horn HD owners that they assumed Keyless Entry was the same as Keyless Entry & Go. And it is not! Lots have expressed intrest in adding it also.

Can anyone out there help us?

Be Safe out there fellas!
I would also love to do this on my 2500. I thought I was getting it to but boy am I dumb lol

2020 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins Ezlynk tuner by Duramaxtuner.com

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tons of us have done the full push button start/proximity entry on our 4th gens. It's honestl my favorite mod I've ever done to my truck. I got spoiled to it really quick. A friend of mine had a 5th gen 1500 rental with push button start without proximity entry and told me how stupid it was to him to have to take the fob out of his pocket to unlock the truck and then push the button to start the truck. It honestly doesn't make much sense. As far as the 5th gens go I don’t know of anyone who has done one yet but I wouldn't see why you couldn't. The first step would be to see what parts your truck may already have. Check and see if the RF hub in your push button start truck has the same part# as a truck with the push button start with Proximity Entry. If it's the same that will make it even easier. Get a copy of the schematics and see what wiring your truck already may have. Jimmy07 is the guy that figured out the 4th gen trucks by researching what we didn’t have and trial and error on his truck. Obviously your trucks will be a little different but some of the parts will probably be pretty much the same. The first thing I would check is the part# on your RF hub then get a copy of the schematics and see what wiring you may already have and go from there. I'm thinking you may have some of the nessisary wiring because you already have the push button start feature. It's a process but if you have enough guys exchanging information you should be able to figure it out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Digger Dan 188

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 HD Big Horn
Engine
Cummins 6.7 370HP
Thanks Rick! Already have found a 2020 Laramie with Keyless Enter & Go thats the same color as mine. Will reseach thaht truck's RF hub PN with mine using the VINs.

I read some of Jimmy07's posts on the 5 th gen 1500 upgrades. I marvel at his talent & skill! How would I contact him if I neeeded to after doing some research?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks Rick! Already have found a 2020 Laramie with Keyless Enter & Go thats the same color as mine. Will reseach thaht truck's RF hub PN with mine using the VINs.

I read some of Jimmy07's posts on the 5 th gen 1500 upgrades. I marvel at his talent & skill! How would I contact him if I neeeded to after doing some research?
It can be done just as easy as the 5th gen 1500’s, but I need you to look at some wiring at the connector from the door to cab, as I don’t have access to a 2019+ HD that doesn’t have proximity handles. Your rf hub is already capable, as there’s only one part number for the HD’s. I have one confirmation that the rear antenna connector is present on a tradesman back behind the license plate, but need you to check that also to be sure it’s there. You would use the same rear antenna part number that the 5th gen guys are using. The handles are different than the 5th gens, though. They are not 2 piece, but they are the same as the 4th gen handles. The settings changes with AlfaOBD will be identical to the 5th gens, with no rf hub reset, or dealer visit necessary. Let me know if you want to look at your door connectors, and I can tell you exactly what to look for, then I’ll be able to build the jumper harnesses for the door handles just like the 5th gen door harness set.

OP
OP
D

Digger Dan 188

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 HD Big Horn
Engine
Cummins 6.7 370HP
Jimmy- Thanks so much for your reply.

I have attached photos I took of the 4 pin connector behind the lisc plate. There is what looks like a mounting plate bhind the connector. I am assuming the 4 pin connector is the one for the antenna. There is another connector but it it looks like only a two pin.

Yes on the door connectors! Let me know what to look for. I'll take photos & forward. Besides rigging up P/E on my truck I want to do what I can to help any other HD guys who do also. Honestly FCA is miss the boat and the cash on 1) not putting out a kit to upgrade, 2) being horses asses about loading the upgrade to the VIN!

Thanks again for your help.

IMG_0692 (1).jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

I have attached photos I took of the 4 pin connector behind the lisc plate. There is what looks like a mounting plate bhind the connector. I am assuming the 4 pin connector is the one for the antenna. There is another connector but it it looks like only a two pin.

Yes on the door connectors! Let me know what to look for. I'll take photos & forward. Besides rigging up P/E on my truck I want to do what I can to help any other HD guys who do also. Honestly FCA is miss the boat and the cash on 1) not putting out a kit to upgrade, 2) being horses asses about loading the upgrade to the VIN!

View attachment 222747

View attachment 222748

View attachment 222749
It actually is the 2 pin connector that is for the antenna. The 4 pin connector pictured is for the trailer TPMS module. I’ll get you some info what to look for tomorrow morning.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

View attachment 222747

View attachment 222748

View attachment 222749
I need you to pull the rubber boot off the connector between the driver door and cab. Pull the whole connector out of the cab body, and unplug the two connectors that come from inside the cab. 6xDI93V.jpg

On the white connector with the wires that come from the cab, look at the side that the wires are inserted and see if there is a wire in position 4- O5Xrszg.jpg

On the brown connector, see if there is a wire in position 5- TFhhRME.jpg

OP
OP
D

Digger Dan 188

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 HD Big Horn
Engine
Cummins 6.7 370HP
Jimmy - Yes to the wires in both connectors as shown above. I'd like to meet the clown that designed the boot!! What a b to get back on!! Plus with my bear paw hands. My wife was enjoying it immensely. She said I've never seen you do a task this aggrivating without throwing tools and cursing a blue streak!! But I got it as the photos below show.

Additionally when I pull up the PN 52112204AA that I have for the passive entry anntena and enter my 2019 2500 HD it says this part will not fit my truck. It gives me the alternate anntena PN 56046957AA. Do you know if this the correct anntena for my truck? I can get my parts lady to the check the anntena PN with the VIN I got from a 2020 Laramie HD with passive entry.

I tried to find P/E door handles in billet silver with very confusing results. I'm going to send her the VIN on the 202 Laramie and let her give me the pn's.

Again thanks for your help!

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Jimmy - Yes to the wires in both connectors as shown above. I'd like to meet the clown that designed the boot!! What a b to get back on!! Plus with my bear paw hands. My wife was enjoying it immensely. She said I've never seen you do a task this aggrivating without throwing tools and cursing a blue streak!! But I got it as the photos below show.

Additionally when I pull up the PN 52112204AA that I have for the passive entry anntena and enter my 2019 2500 HD it says this part will not fit my truck. It gives me the alternate anntena PN 56046957AA. Do you know if this the correct anntena for my truck? I can get my parts lady to the check the anntena PN with the VIN I got from a 2020 Laramie HD with passive entry.

I tried to find P/E door handles in billet silver with very confusing results. I'm going to send her the VIN on the 202 Laramie and let her give me the pn's.

Again thanks for your help!

View attachment 222942

View attachment 222943

View attachment 222944

View attachment 222945
56046957AA is the one you want since the mounting tabs will be correct. I will try to find the terminals for the mating door connector to be able to make the jumper harnesses.

OP
OP
D

Digger Dan 188

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 HD Big Horn
Engine
Cummins 6.7 370HP
UPDATE- I finally got part numbers for my billet silver body color proximity entry door handles for my 2019 2500 HD Big Horn upgrade to prox entry. Left handle 6NV571SCAD, Right handle 6NV561SCAC. To find these PNs I wont to the dealer's lot, found a 2020 Laramie with prox entry, got the VIN, and called their parts dept. I told him what I needed a quote on. I told him my intention to add PE to my truck. After a lecture from their parts geinus-NOT! I gave him the VIN. He looked it up and e-mailed me the quote. He doubled all the prices as I found all the parts on line for half the price he quoted! They take us for dumb asses who they can spoon feed BS to and we won't know the difference!

The correct anntena part is above confirmed by Jimmy07.

If you wish to add something to your truck just find a truck on the lot that has it, get the VIN, and request a quote from the parts dept. Then you have the RAM PNs you need to dress out your rig.

Also when I did my owner satisfaction survey I roasted FCA confusing description of keyless entry infering the inclusion of the proximity entry feature. I'm sure it wwill fall on deaf ears but........

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I usually just go on Ebay and find a truck with the exact options I want and get the Vin# that way. I usually give that info to Benny at Allmoparparts.com in the vendor section of the forum and he gets me the part# and price quote. They are competitive in their pricing and he understands what we are trying to do.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

JINXR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd like more info on the harnesses Jimmy07 is making. I have a billet silver Tradesman. I guess all I need is the handles, antenna, and the jumper harnesses he makes?

Jim Ballantyne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for doing the hevi-lifting on getting this figured out. My biggest disappointment after buying my truck was finding out keyless entry wasn't keyless proximity entry! My bad!

Capt Adrian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This might be the 1st real mod I do to my 2019 Big Horn, I would love the proximity entry on my truck !!!

Spedly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Digger Dan did you ever order those handles can you confirm they came painted billet?

pgh94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So if we have the wires in Pin 4&5 is the jumper needed?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So if we have the wires in Pin 4&5 is the jumper needed?
Yes. Seeing the wires in 4&5 was just to confirm that the handle switch wires are populated up to the door. They will be missing on the door side going to the handle.

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thinkin about doing this conversion in my truck, I could've sworn i stumbled across a thread somewhere that had a definitive list of what parts were needed, and how many, and what custom wiring was needed, however i cannot remember where it was and i can't seem to find it again. Can somebody possibly point me in the right direction?

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So I pieced together I need the following parts, i'm just unsure what else i need, and I know one of those antennas is for in the door, which i would require 2 of them, and one of them goes by the back bumper. Can somebody tell me which number i need 2 of? Also what other part numbers i might need? Thanks.

Exterior Door Handle, Left
Product ID: 1GH19GW7AF
7c50620c723dc383d7fecf7927f48b56.jpg
Exterior Door Handle, Right
Product ID: 1GH18GW7AF
a35711b71cd5baa7f291f881591e94a9.jpg
Passive Entry Antenna
Product ID: 56046958AA
fbd8d588536a81ee7f5d434744f855d7.jpg
Passive Entry Antenna
Product ID: 56046957AA
4d73b7cecc15906fe13929b093c74134.jpg