5th wheel toy hauler, gas or diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtymartini

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I currently own a 2018 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 and 3.73 rear. I am looking to buy a 5th wheel toy-hauler sometime within the next year and will have to upgrade from my current truck. I don't really want the added expense of a diesel engine if I can avoid it. I have been looking at the towing specs for a new Ram 3500 crew cab dually 6.4 with a 4.10 rear. According to the specs on the Ram website, the maximum trailer weight would be 17, 230 with a GCWR of 25,000.
Would this be enough truck?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Without knowing what trailer it's hard to say if it's enough. Any idea on what model you are looking at? Weight?

With that said, if you are getting into dually country no way I'd have a gas engine but that's me, I'm sure others will disagree.

Last edited:

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
If I had a truck camper I might get a gasser. Truck campers are heavy from a payload perspective but light from a towing one.

If you are looking at a 5th wheel though I am not sure the point of getting a gasser. Some of the pros for a diesel would be better gas mileage and its much easier to fill up at truck stops. The exhaust brake makes a huge towing difference as well.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Maybe, maybe not. You can either buy the trailer first and then get the truck you need, or buy a truck then pick a trailer within the truck's specs. Otherwise you will get advice from us that, combined with a buck, is worth a soft drink at McDonald's.

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Asking early and researching is a good start. Don't be like some and get less truck than necessary for a trailer you already have.

I have 2500 6.4 4.10. In Ohio we don't have true "mountains" to pull. 2 days ago I had >10,000# behind me. It will guzzle but she purrs like a kitten and had more to give. On the flats I was 68 at 1900rpm at 80 degrees.

Personally I think the potential terrain is what can sway this decision and distance. I do some custom equipment work and display antique tractors. I haven't gone further than an hour. So fuel vs gas is easily in the gas motor favor. Plus I make a lot of single mile trips to family houses and especially in winter don't like doing that in a diesel.

If you plan 1200+ mile trips 5+ times a year and you're headed to Midwest seeing those big hills....you might wanna consider the premium for diesel. Getting 5+ more mpg can add up with those kinds of trips and as mentioned the engine braking

Good luck.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yup - Where are you going to travel, and how often? If you stay out of the mountains, and the mileage isn't a lot, you can manage with the gasser, save some money up front.

Seems like I have seen plenty of diesel owners here complain about dealing with DEF and other emissions crap on the new ones, seems like more trouble than it's worth if don't need the extra torque.

OP
OP
dirtymartini

dirtymartini

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Maybe, maybe not. You can either buy the trailer first and then get the truck you need, or buy a truck then pick a trailer within the truck's specs. Otherwise you will get advice from us that, combined with a buck, is worth a soft drink at McDonald's.
I like the McDonald's analogy lol. Lots of good advice so far and yes, I am doing my research early. I guess I am trying to save the 10 or 12k premium for a diesel engine. I do like the idea of an engine brake. I drove an 18 wheeler for a few years so I can appreciate that. I figure from my research so far that a decent size toy hauler will be 15,000 lbs or so...getting towards the limit of a gas engine.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dirtymartini

dirtymartini

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I should also add that this will be a retirement gig and we will probably be going to Arizona from Pennsylvania and be gone at least six months out of the year. Im sure there will be some excursions from AZ to other points of interest while we are away from PA.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I would not have a gas truck for a retirement rig. If your future travels ever include areas of high elevation you’ll want forced induction. The combination of high plains, headwinds, and a big trailer is no fun with a naturally aspirated engine.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I have a 2018 2500 with 6.4 and 4.10's. Recently towed a 9300lb TT from Akron, Ohio (General RV) to Pittsburgh. Flat ground but I had no issues pulling out into traffic or passing.

If yoo go diesel you will be happy when you try to stop and fill up. My son tows his 26' TT all over the country (he has an identical truck to mine) and his only complaint is getting into and out of the gas fuel pumps at some of the stops.

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
A lot of good info given.

If you’re staying local, and a flat lander, gas will get you by. If you’re going across county, and especially crossing the mountains, you’ll want that diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
I guess deep down I knew I needed a diesel for my intented purpose. We will be going cross country and am sure will be in the mountains at some point. Hell, I might as well go all the way and get the HO diesel with 4.10's...then there will be no question [emoji16]
You only go around once and at 63 I'm not getting any younger.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Food for thought,

My truck, 2019 Longhorn 3500 6.4 Hemi mega cab, dually. Payload: 6292lbs. Towing capacity: 13792lbs. 3.73 gears. If I had 4.10's I'd probably only net about 1200-1800lbs more towing capacity....

Diesel nets you more towing especially if you are looking at a 5th wheel toy hauler. Diesel for the heavy weight towing.

I still want to get a 5th wheel camper, there is only a few options I am able to pick that will work for me. Leaning towards a Grand Design Reflection 28BH or the 31MB. More towards the 28BH.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Something else to look into. In PA most areas are required to get an annual emissions inspection. Problem is the law is still written for the 2500's to use the old tailpipe sniffer and not the newer OBD2 type. Well nobody has the old sniffer types anymore. And without the emissions inspection you cannot get the annual safety inspection. Fortunately for me my area does not require emissions so no issue for me but my son also has a 6.4 2500 and last year had a very hard time finding a place that still had the old sniffer type. He was working out of state and took a vacation day to come home and get it done and it took us all day to find a place that could do it. We called 4 new dealers (2 RAM, 1 Chevy, and 1 Toyota) and none had the machine for it. Together we called about 25-30 places before finding one and he said his machine was on it's last leg and he wasn't going to repair it next time it broke. He said the new dealerships were sending their 2500 gassers to him to get the emissions inspection done cause they had no way of doing them.

Just something that might affect your decision. Diesels do not require emissions in PA

AlexC2350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My brother in law has a 2020 Duramax 3500 and a big toy hauler. Got average 11 mpg on the five hour drive from concord nh to Acadia Maine. All the power and stability you could ask for. On our way home we had a heavy cross wind and they were comfortable doing 65. Also gets high 20s and low 30s mpg daily driving. I like my gasser for my needs but if had to daily drive it or do long trips it would be straight to a duramax for me.

2018 Hemi

Reaction score
Go diesel all the way. I made a mistake of trading my 6.7 Cummins for a 6.4 gas 2018 2500. Like most said it will pull it ok but you will have to research gas stations on your route to make sure you can get in and out with a trailer. Don’t be a me!

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
Go diesel all the way. I made a mistake of trading my 6.7 Cummins for a 6.4 gas 2018 2500. Like most said it will pull it ok but you will have to research gas stations on your route to make sure you can get in and out with a trailer. Don’t be a me!
I think I have resigned myself to the fact I am going to spend another 15k to get the right tow vehicle. I figure I might as well go with the HO cummins but what gearing? 3.73's or 4.10's? My local dealer said my best bet is to order what I want.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is a good video. Guy has a 12,000lb 5th wheel and is ************ with a 3500 Cummins dually and said he would be way overweight with a SRW Cummins. Shows his CAT scale weights too

Willie Mosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas
I say think really hard about buy anything big they you pull can w Gas,

Diesel are nice, but pricey going cost
$10k buy and $10k to $15k to owers

if you’re thinking delete kit, uncle Joe
Is going be looking you soon. And Fine
From $2500 to $10000 for non-commercial vehicles owers,

West coast trailer 8000 lbs or less an
East coast trailer 10000 lbs or less
6.4 Gas will be fine .

CKNOW29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L HO Diesel
Do your research and you will see that sometimes the Diesel actually deducts from the Cargo Carrying Capacity of the truck. In my opinion Diesels are great for towing but if you are only an occasional tower and if you are in the mountains a lot a gas engine set up properly should work fine. Make sure of the capacities of the truck not just the tow rating the Cargo Capacity really makes a difference! Look up Big truck Big RV on Youtube he has a lot of info on this subjuect