6.4 Hemi Break In

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaxyaks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The monitor is just a computer program that averages speed, idling etc to determine when to change, I'm pretty sure there isn't an onboard anylizer

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I don't start mine up and let it warm up. I usually just get in and go. I will start it up and let it run till I hear the engine idle go down.

I know that on atv's and side by side's at the bike shop we have to change the oil in the stuff we pull out every day about every 2 to 3 months. Because with it being fuel injected it has automatic chokes and idle. It contaminates the oil with gas where it sits and idles a lot. And the gas breaks down the oil properties a whole lot faster.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I don't start mine up and let it warm up. I usually just get in and go. I will start it up and let it run till I hear the engine idle go down.

I know that on atv's and side by side's at the bike shop we have to change the oil in the stuff we pull out every day about every 2 to 3 months. Because with it being fuel injected it has automatic chokes and idle. It contaminates the oil with gas where it sits and idles a lot. And the gas breaks down the oil properties a whole lot faster.

Same here. Push the button, wait for the RPMs to stabilize, put it in drive, and drive her super easy until it's up to temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Wow. It doesn't make any sense to me why our milage is so different. You are using 0W40 also correct. I have been using a Purolator filter that had a sizable larger capacity. This new filter is the stock size. And it's about half the size and the Purolator I've been running.

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My last oil change i got a little over 9000 miles took in at 10% and im pretty rough on mine i haulass most time to work an back 90mile round trip, i just checked my last two oil changes an I've gottin atleast 9k, i also let mine warmup for bout 3 to 5 mins, Newblack thats odd u get around 5k maybe u should drive it like u stole it big guy

Last edited:

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Newblack we both have megacabs shouldn't be much of difference,

ramforme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Wow. It doesn't make any sense to me why our milage is so different. You are using 0W40 also correct. I have been using a Purolator filter that had a sizable larger capacity. This new filter is the stock size. And it's about half the size and the Purolator I've been running.

Interesting. How did you arrive at the larger filter? Is it "approved" as a replacement filter? Do you add extra oil on the oil change? What is part number? And finally, did your research show other brands same size but larger?

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Interesting. How did you arrive at the larger filter? Is it "approved" as a replacement filter? Do you add extra oil on the oil change? What is part number? And finally, did your research show other brands same size but larger?
It was listed in their parts catalog (advance auto parts) yes, it held about ½ - ¾ a quart more oil. I'm not sure on the part #. It's listed as Purolator extra guard or extended life filter. It's just bigger on the outside diameter and longer.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

Newblack we both have megacabs shouldn't be much of difference,

I wonder if my dealership is doing something stupid, and not using the right oil. I'll go in there and blow up if that is the case.

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Look on ya receipt it shows what oil they use, there was one guy on here that had checked his and they had put 5w20 in his ****, dont remember who it was but id diffently check ya papper work

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I wonder if my dealership is doing something stupid, and not using the right oil. I'll go in there and blow up if that is the case.
I would too. I asked mine to show me what they use. And how much per quart and 5 qt jug. That's another reason why I change it myself. I can't see paying $90 when I can do it for $50. And it only takes 20 to do it.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Look on ya receipt it shows what oil they use, there was one guy on here that had checked his and they had put 5w20 in his ****, dont remember who it was but id diffently check ya papper work

I would too. I asked mine to show me what they use. And how much per quart and 5 qt jug. That's another reason why I change it myself. I can't see paying $90 when I can do it for $50. And it only takes 20 to do it.

i checked all the invoices, and they state 0w40. That doesn't really mean the monkey actually doing the work did the right thing. This dealership includes 3 yrs of oil/lube/rotation with every new vehicle, or I wouldn't be going in. I'll do the next one myself to see if there is any difference.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Don't remember why off hand. I just remember reading a few have tried running a 5w and 10w and threw codes. There is a sensor somewhere that can read how the viscosity of the oil is.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Yep. It will throw a code. Lol. And it will put the truck in What's called limp mode. Lol. You can only go 35 mph and limited to like 50 miles or some crap too. These motors are definitely not anything like a SRT 6.4L HEMI. Lol.

OP
OP
Blazin383

Blazin383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
So aside from all the oil change discussion, what other break in procedures have you used? Limited RPMs, limited speed, no towing or full throttle for xx number of miles etc.?

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I just didn't tow for maybe the first 300 or 400 miles. And drove it like I still do. A car today isn't like it was 20 years ago. If something is going to go wrong, it will regardless. Like some have got theirs and had bad fan clutches. And had to have them replaced immediately. Some had the 3rd break light leak. Some had bed and cab miss alignment.

granite14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500, 4x4, CC, SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My oil change indicator says about 8000 miles for expected life, but I've been changing it ~5500.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank