6.4 Hemi Break In

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was told that these modern new trucks dont have any break in periods anymore.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Break in period

As for break in on your new vehicle, according to the owners manual, there is a "break in Period". The manual says to drive moderately for the first 300 miles. After that, driving at moderate hi way speeds 50 /60 mph, brief full throttle accelerations will help . It is not advised to do the full throttle accell. from stopped or slow speeds which is hard on the engine and transmission. Also, wouldn't recommend towing for at least 1000 miles. As for oil, some small consumption is normal. Personally, would recommend the first oil change be in about 2000 miles OR if oil consumption were to get to the one quart point. Rather than add, Change the oil. Mine used about 1/2 qt. in 2000 miles. None after that point and that was even towing. One final thing, especially being the cold time of the year, would stay away from extended warm up periods, say 5 minutes, and insure that it is driven for at least 10 minutes "After" full warm up has occurred. Just some thoughts.

OP
OP
Blazin383

Blazin383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
As for break in on your new vehicle, according to the owners manual, there is a "break in Period". The manual says to drive moderately for the first 300 miles. After that, driving at moderate hi way speeds 50 /60 mph, brief full throttle accelerations will help . It is not advised to do the full throttle accell. from stopped or slow speeds which is hard on the engine and transmission. Also, wouldn't recommend towing for at least 1000 miles. As for oil, some small consumption is normal. Personally, would recommend the first oil change be in about 2000 miles OR if oil consumption were to get to the one quart point. Rather than add, Change the oil. Mine used about 1/2 qt. in 2000 miles. None after that point and that was even towing. One final thing, especially being the cold time of the year, would stay away from extended warm up periods, say 5 minutes, and insure that it is driven for at least 10 minutes "After" full warm up has occurred. Just some thoughts.

Interesting! Thanks!
It may seem silly, but that is one of the reasons I decided to order rather than try and find the truck I wanted on a lot. Everyone that test drives a new vehicle drives them contrary to proper breakin. Typical test drive.....Cold start, multiple full throttle bursts, inadequate warm up, shut down, repeat!!

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Guess i'm not the only one with "silly thoughts". lol

Yes, definitely true that the test drive is generally drove like they stole it. Did buy mine off the lot but looked at odometer. 3 miles. That's about right for mfg. and transport miles so wasn't real concerned. As for the oil change and frequency, my thought, oil is the cheapest maintenance there is. No matter what the oil and or mfg'r., or oil filter usage, oil gets contaminated. Toward the end of it's cycle, engine wear will be the greatest. That's why I will change toward the long end of "mid life". Truth be known, probably if someone drove normally, never let the oil level get low, probably these newer engines with the synthetic oils, would see 100k and no major problem. AFTER 100k, I don't think I would want to own the vehicle. Plan on keeping mine and running it to the 200k plus and truly don't expect any major repairs on the engine and or any other major component. Figure after the 100k mark, the extra care will start "paying me back".

OP
OP
Blazin383

Blazin383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah, I know a guy that was a salesman for the local Chevy dealership. When the new Camero came out the dealerdhip took all the salesmen and several new Cameros to the local circle track and let everyone burn laps around the track for an afternoon. They then took the cars back to the dealership and sold them as new. Who would have expected what that 25 miles on the odometer actually meant!

OP
OP
Blazin383

Blazin383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yes, definitely true that the test drive is generally drove like they stole it. Did buy mine off the lot but looked at odometer. 3 miles. That's about right for mfg. and transport miles so wasn't real concerned. As for the oil change and frequency, my thought, oil is the cheapest maintenance there is. No matter what the oil and or mfg'r., or oil filter usage, oil gets contaminated. Toward the end of it's cycle, engine wear will be the greatest. That's why I will change toward the long end of "mid life". Truth be known, probably if someone drove normally, never let the oil level get low, probably these newer engines with the synthetic oils, would see 100k and no major problem. AFTER 100k, I don't think I would want to own the vehicle. Plan on keeping mine and running it to the 200k plus and truly don't expect any major repairs on the engine and or any other major component. Figure after the 100k mark, the extra care will start "paying me back".

My last two trucks were both Chevys that I bought used. one a 1995 with the 5.7 that I sold with 185,000 miles and still running strong, and the current, a 2007 Chevy Avalanche with the 5.3 Vortec that has 145,000 miles and runs/drives like a champ with no issues. Niether of these had particularly strong engines, nor were they great tow vehicles, but both were great running utility vehicles that were very dependable for many years!

I'll reserve judgement on the new 6.4 Ram until I've got some miles on it, but in this day and age, 100,000 miles on a new car/truck with no significant issues is not just common, but expected. I just hope the Ram turns out to be as reliable and well put together as my Chevys have been! I'd hate to have to tell my wife....I told you so!! :)

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My last two trucks were both Chevys that I bought used. one a 1995 with the 5.7 that I sold with 185,000 miles and still running strong, and the current, a 2007 Chevy Avalanche with the 5.3 Vortec that has 145,000 miles and runs/drives like a champ with no issues. Niether of these had particularly strong engines, nor were they great tow vehicles, but both were great running utility vehicles that were very dependable for many years!

I'll reserve judgement on the new 6.4 Ram until I've got some miles on it, but in this day and age, 100,000 miles on a new car/truck with no significant issues is not just common, but expected. I just hope the Ram turns out to be as reliable and well put together as my Chevys have been! I'd hate to have to tell my wife....I told you so!! :)

Both of those motors are perfect work horses.. there is a reason chevy still uses the 5.3... it is a solid round about motor, I out a hard 215k on mine.