6.4 SRT Longblock build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I organized and updated the main list quite a bit. Any other ARP bolts I may want? Are flexplate bolts necessary?

Will the billet catchcan mount up to the 6.4 srt block in the same place with the z bracket, or will I need to relocate?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ok, I organized and updated the main list quite a bit. Any other ARP bolts I may want? Are flexplate bolts necessary?

Will the billet catchcan mount up to the 6.4 srt block in the same place with the z bracket, or will I need to relocate?
Are you going to use a 5.7 intake manifold or a 6.4 truck intake.If you're using the 6.4 truck intake,you'll have to fab up an external PCV system,as they use an internal PCV.Talk to Kris/CrazyKid,he's already done a catch can on a 6.4 truck intake

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you going to use a 5.7 intake manifold or a 6.4 truck intake.If you're using the 6.4 truck intake,you'll have to fab up an external PCV system,as they use an internal PCV.Talk to Kris/CrazyKid,he's already done a catch can on a 6.4 truck intake
I just did the 6.4 manifold swap in December and hooked up the catchcan into the pcv and blockoff plate.

20211103_185636.jpg20211103_185641.jpg

If I was smart, I'd put my 5.7 intake manifold back on before my engine goes kablooey and toasts my new, $1,200, ported manifold.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just don't recall exactly where the z bracket for the catchcan attaches to the 5.7 and if it'll attach in the same place on the 6.4

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As promised, here's some pics from the cold-case aluminum radiator from americantrucks.com. I'm not impressed. Pics below. There's a bent bracket, it did not come with hoses as mentioned on the website, and there's some welding paste or something that I was able to rub off with my finger from inside the radiator cap and you can see it on the cap interior as well. They also put a slip of paper in with the radiator stating that there's a thermal expansion cut on the bottom, which wasn't there. Was it forgotten or not needed? If it's not needed, why include the paper??? I started a chat with American trucks. Just stated that it was received damage. They asked if I wanted a replacement or refund. I said replacement, which I'm starting to think was a bad idea. They said they just emailed me a prepaid FedEx shipping label and will send the replacement as soon as FedEx scans the return. Pics below.

20220207_082633.jpg20220207_082659.jpg20220207_083423.jpg20220207_083655.jpg20220207_083826.jpg20220207_085742.jpg

1SLwLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the MMX 392 swap with one of their NSR cams, the oil runs HOT. I would recommend an additional cooler with thermostat. I have something planned, but haven't implemented it yet so I cannot vouch for how well it works (waiting to wrap up 8 speed swap). I hope you already have the 8 speed. I blew the stock 6 speed transmission within 3 weeks and then a rebuilt one with less than a 1,000 miles on the new engine.

Also, I am not sure you need any of the oil pickup modifications/hardware, mine came already converted for the truck pan from MMX.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the MMX 392 swap with one of their NSR cams, the oil runs HOT. I would recommend an additional cooler with thermostat. I have something planned, but haven't implemented it yet so I cannot vouch for how well it works (waiting to wrap up 8 speed swap). I hope you already have the 8 speed. I blew the stock 6 speed transmission within 3 weeks and then a rebuilt one with less than a 1,000 miles on the new engine.

Also, I am not sure you need any of the oil pickup modifications/hardware, mine came already converted for the truck pan from MMX.
Actually looking at their max effort cam, which does require springs. Sounds like you probably went with the black, BGE truck block? I'm looking to get the orange, SRT car block. It has higher compression and puts out more tq and hp stock. The SRT block requires swapping for the 6.4 truck intake manifold, timing cover plus accessories, and rear sump setup. If I recall correctly, I think the SRT block is an extra 50 hp. I do have the 8 speed as well.

How hot are you running? Do you have a 180 or other lower thermostat? I heard it does run a bit hot, hence why I was super excited to see someone finally makes a drop in Aluminum Radiator. Disappointed on the quality at the moment.

1SLwLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Nope, I have the higher compression SRT orange block, the pickup tube came swapped for the truck pan, may be worth looking into if you need those pickup parts.

I have a 180 thermostat. Back when it was running in the Texas summer, it would frequent 240+ oil temps, and in the cooler weather, with time it still got up there around 240, especially with spirited driving.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nope, I have the higher compression SRT orange block, the pickup tube came swapped for the truck pan, may be worth looking into if you need those pickup parts.

I have a 180 thermostat. Back when it was running in the Texas summer, it would frequent 240+ oil temps, and in the cooler weather, with time it still got up there around 240, especially with spirited driving.
Good to know. I did call them last week and asked for a quote on a crate SRT with max effort cam to stuff into a Ram. Told them I already had the 6.4 manifold too. I think they forgot about me. I'll probably just go the longblock route and get a bunch of new parts to get it close to crate.

Jbstile34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I’m in the process of finishing up a 6.4 swap in my 2011 ram 1500 with 3.92 gears.
DD9E674E-7DC3-40AF-82D5-80345728D8FB.jpegThe engine came out of a 2017 charger Daytona 392 with 20k.
I tore it down to the short block inspected everything. Put in a Comp cams stage I HRT cam, mds delete. ARP head studs. I installed a 6.2 hellcat oil pump, outside dimensions are the same, but they machined the case to put in a wider pump gear to move more oil. Swapped the front cover from the 5.7, new water pump, 180 degree stat. 2008 jeep srt aluminum intake manifold, only need a 90 degree boot to connect to my k&n CAI. I was going to try to make the srt manifolds work, but bought bbk shorties. Then 1 7/8” eBay headers with Y pipe, (under $400, worth the gamble from what I’ve read, plus the material and welds are so much better than the BBK shorties).
The 545RFE got a transgo pump pressure upgrade to 160psi, and the valve bodies got some goodies replaced aswell. I have the Circle D 11” 2600-2800 stall converter. I also had custom 1/2 inch return lines for the tranny cooler made.
I’m hoping to have everything buttoned up in the next couple of days. My tuner here in West Michigan wants me to tow it there so he can flash it, break in the cam and tune it. I hope she screams!!

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m in the process of finishing up a 6.4 swap in my 2011 ram 1500 with 3.92 gears.
View attachment 485353The engine came out of a 2017 charger Daytona 392 with 20k.
I tore it down to the short block inspected everything. Put in a Comp cams stage I HRT cam, mds delete. ARP head studs. I installed a 6.2 hellcat oil pump, outside dimensions are the same, but they machined the case to put in a wider pump gear to move more oil. Swapped the front cover from the 5.7, new water pump, 180 degree stat. 2008 jeep srt aluminum intake manifold, only need a 90 degree boot to connect to my k&n CAI. I was going to try to make the srt manifolds work, but bought bbk shorties. Then 1 7/8” eBay headers with Y pipe, (under $400, worth the gamble from what I’ve read, plus the material and welds are so much better than the BBK shorties).
The 545RFE got a transgo pump pressure upgrade to 160psi, and the valve bodies got some goodies replaced aswell. I have the Circle D 11” 2600-2800 stall converter. I also had custom 1/2 inch return lines for the tranny cooler made.
I’m hoping to have everything buttoned up in the next couple of days. My tuner here in West Michigan wants me to tow it there so he can flash it, break in the cam and tune it. I hope she screams!!
Sweet, keep us posted

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got my replacement radiator. I dropped it off the return at FedEx Monday night. Started a live chat Tuesday with americantrucks.com since I didn't see am email with the info for the new one like I was told. He said the new one wouldn't be processed until the return was processed. He gave me a $25 credit, that I won't use, good for a month, due to the misinformation. Tuesday afternoon, I got a new email that the replacement was in route lol.

Welds look consistently better on this one and no gunk to be found. No damage either. Good to go.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ooooh that's niiiice. Didn't really need their big3 wire since I have 1/0 big3 currently, but just got theirs just incase I wanted to slap some more wires all around and their price was good on them. Funny thing is, they advertise 1/0, but actually sent 2/0, so even better. I'll definitely use theirs for primaries. 20220215_173933.jpg20220215_173722.jpg

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It looks like MMX has a new offering. Their hotrod engine comes with stef's 8 qt oil pan, Mr gasket aluminum valve covers, hellcat 92mm TB, and a holley $niper intake manifold. I believe I've read guys running the $niper weren't impressed, but what got me thinking was the 8qt oil pan. With the srt 6.4 running hot, I'm curious if and how much this would help, and any fitment concerns on 4x4. Couldn't find any reference to the pan on the forum. Anyone have any insights?

Edit: idk why $niper is sensored lol

Tk91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 srt swapped
@Jwithing have you tried and run the 6.4 along with the cold case radiator yet ? Wanted feedback on that radiator as I have a 6.4 swapped srt engine in my truck and it runs hot

Thanks

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Jwithing have you tried and run the 6.4 along with the cold case radiator yet ? Wanted feedback on that radiator as I have a 6.4 swapped srt engine in my truck and it runs hot

Thanks
No, my engine is still running strong, so I haven't done the 6.4 swap yet. Radiator is still sitting in the box. If you do give it a go, let us know your results.