8.4 Uconnect touch screen delaminating....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wetworks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just joined after coming across this helpful thread. I have a 2018 Rebel, and this started happening just as I shifted from leasing it to buying it. I'm going to contact Ram Care to see if they will work with me. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread, it's been a real eye-opener and has served to calm me down after initially freaking out a bit lol.

Guido2112

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello Group
I have a question on replacing the digitizer? Is the LOCA needed when replacing it or can it just sit on top of the screen?

I have this issue and already have the new digitizer

Thanks

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hello Group
I have a question on replacing the digitizer? Is the LOCA needed when replacing it or can it just sit on top of the screen?

I have this issue and already have the new digitizer

Thanks
I don't know honestly but I don't see why it wouldn't work? You'd eventually likely get dust between but that should be a relatively easy fix. You might be able to seal around the outside to prevent the dust.

I think it might not appear as clear as it should without LOCA but never tried. It may also be more susceptible to damage/cracking by being able to flex more where LOCA would previously have taken up the "slack"...

Easy enough to test if you were replacing it anyway, post your results if you give it a go!

Last edited:

RhumHam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We recommend having your dealer look into this for you. If you would like any additional assistance, please feel free to send us a private message and we'll be happy to help!

Alison
RamCares
I sent you a DM about this exact thing a month ago and have not heard back. is @RamCares sill here to help? The rep on the phone when I called RamCares told me that I was out of warranty and basically to go fly a kite.

aekash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Wetworks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ram Cares shot me down and referred me to my dealer. They subsequently had me contact FCA and get a case number. I am going back to the dealer next week, they are going to pull the radio to order a replacement and go from there. Fingers crossed...

aekash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram Cares shot me down and referred me to my dealer. They subsequently had me contact FCA and get a case number. I am going back to the dealer next week, they are going to pull the radio to order a replacement and go from there. Fingers crossed...
Sounds promising. I didn't realize that FCA case number would trump Ram Cares. I wish I would have thought of that.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
United Radio and Navrepair both charge about $650-$700 now to repair these radios/replace the screen and update the SW to the latest version.

United Radio has a shop in Peachtree, Ga next to Panasonic's USA plant I believe & I was under the impression they were the official FCA/Stellantis warranty repair facility.
I'd have to agree although I wonder if your dealer gave it to you with little to no markup. I've heard of other paying $900+ for the refurbs.

Last edited:

Guido2112

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know honestly but I don't see why it wouldn't work? You'd eventually likely get dust between but that should be a relatively easy fix. You might be able to seal around the outside to prevent the dust.

I think it might not appear as clear as it should without LOCA but never tried. It may also be more susceptible to damage/cracking by being able to flex more where LOCA would previously have taken up the "slack"...

Easy enough to test if you were replacing it anyway, post your results if you give it a go!
Update
Once I removed it from the truck, the goo from the screen was everywhere. I regret to say my attempt to fix was a failure. No idea of what to do now.

golfer99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
I have this same problem on a 2018 I bought in June certified pre owned. Started about first of July with bubbles in each corner, then slowly spread across the top of the screen till the two bubbles meet. Took it to the dealer today and he insists where the bubbles meet is a crack. Says he has to look into it and see what Chrysler and my extended warranty says. I think I'm about to get screwed.

20210827_104757.jpg20210827_104803.jpg20210827_110107.jpg20210827_115626.jpg

Last edited:

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have this same problem on a 2018 I bought in June certified pre owned. Started about first of July with bubbles in each corner, then slowly spread across the top of the screen till the two bubbles meet. Took it to the dealer today and he insists where the bubbles meet is a crack. Says he has to look into it and see what Chrysler and my extended warranty says. I think I'm about to get screwed.

View attachment 469098View attachment 469099View attachment 469100View attachment 469101
Like said above.....it should be covered..
My 2018 was changed out....dealership said it was a known problem...

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My radio was out of warranty by a few months but under the mileage. I worked with @RamCares and they got things rolling with uconnect. They took care of everything and even notified me when the radio was delivered to the dealership. They also confirmed my appointment was today.

The new radio (probably refurbished) looks great. SiriusXM is setup again and all is well. It took a total of 8 weeks but it cost me 0 dollars. It would have been $1,000 to $1,200 without their help.

It's really nice to see N/C under the total column of the invoice.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

View attachment 469098View attachment 469099View attachment 469100View attachment 469101
I'm 100% positive its not a crack...if he needs proof tell him to push on it.

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree that doesn't look like a a crack. It's where the two delaminating bubbles are coming together. A couple hot days and it might just connect.