8 speed swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Green means the truck computer isn't seeing the info from the SGA computer.

Where did you tap into the canbus?
White/light green and white/light blue wires under the dash,but not directly off the OBD port
My truck doesn't have the CANBUS star connector

Last edited:

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
White/light green and white/light blue wires under the dash,but not directly off the OBD port
My truck doesn't have the CANBUS star connector
That should be OK - it's also where mine are connected.

How about power and ignition? Do you have a good constant 12v and ignition that stays hot while cranking?

If your ignition connection drops voltage when you turn the key, it'll also click like you describe. However, the shift position in the cluster will be white and turn green when you go to start if the ignition wire drops voltage during cranking.

Is your shift position lights in the cluster ever white, or are they always green?

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That should be OK - it's also where mine are connected.

How about power and ignition? Do you have a good constant 12v and ignition that stays hot while cranking?

If your ignition connection drops voltage when you turn the key, it'll also click like you describe. However, the shift position in the cluster will be white and turn green when you go to start if the ignition wire drops voltage during cranking.

Is your shift position lights in the cluster ever white, or are they always green?
Constant power(red wire from PCS controller) and ground are wired direct to battery
Yellow wire is tapped in to keyed power outlet under the HVAC controls

Shift position lights are always green
They were always white before the swap

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Constant power(red wire from PCS controller) and ground are wired direct to battery
Yellow wire is tapped in to keyed power outlet under the HVAC controls

Shift position lights are always green
They were always white before the swap
Try this - just to get 'going.'

Take the "Yellow wire is tapped in to keyed power outlet under the HVAC controls" and put it to constant hot (to the battery is fine).

See what happens. Worst case, nothing happens. Best case, you identified the issue.

The power outlet drops power during crank (at least it does in my truck).

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hooked the yellow wire directly to the battery and I'm getting the same result

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hooked the yellow wire directly to the battery and I'm getting the same result
I'm stumped at the moment...

The ignition to constant hot should have helped if it was a ignition drop out during cranking.

Since the shifter position lights never go white, I am back to it has to do with the canbus connection. Are you 100% positive the canbus is connected correctly? i.e. high to high, low to low?

Are all the plugs seated 100%? The SGA controller, the transmission (it is difficult to seat)?

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'm stumped at the moment...

The ignition to constant hot should have helped if it was a ignition drop out during cranking.

Since the shifter position lights never go white, I am back to it has to do with the canbus connection. Are you 100% positive the canbus is connected correctly? i.e. high to high, low to low?
According to the instructions,yes...but I'll double check
Are all the plugs seated 100%? The SGA controller, the transmission (it is difficult to seat)

On the controller,definitely.On the transmission,I turned it until it felt tight,then it snapped into place(another quarter inch or so)I read on here someone had an issue of it not being seated all the way in,

I'm going to try to get hold of Russel in a couple of hours.It's still a bit early on the west coast LOL

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Out of curiosity,did you have to make any other electrical connections besides ground and constant/switched power?
Besides CANBUS

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Out of curiosity,did you have to make any other electrical connections besides ground and constant/switched power?
Besides CANBUS
I think I had to grab a brake signal as well. It's been 2 1/2 years - so I don't actually remember. Just looked at the instructions, the wire is grey/black on the SGA harness. That sounds familiar.

I would have grabbed it off the same harness that I grabbed CANBUS from for the towing brake controller.

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I think I had to grab a brake signal as well. It's been 2 1/2 years - so I don't actually remember. Just looked at the instructions, the wire is grey/black on the SGA harness. That sounds familiar.

I would have grabbed it off the same harness that I grabbed CANBUS from for the towing brake controller.
I'll have to figure out which pin the wire goes to
The new SGA harnesses have a bag of wires for the extra connections

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So....just did a TeamSession with Russell and figured out I had my CANBUS wires connected to the wrong white/blue,white green wires

Did the switch and my PRNDL in the cluster changed color and the truck fired right up :cool:

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What tuning equipment/software is commonly used to tune the transmission with the PCS controller?

I have no plans on doing it myself

Was just curious

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What tuning equipment/software is commonly used to tune the transmission with the PCS controller?

I have no plans on doing it myself

Was just curious
The 8HP70 is tuned via HP Tuners; the trans config file is accessed via the OBD port on the PCS controller.

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So...update on my swap
Russell was able to help me get the truck started last week and moving under it's own power after filling the trans,but when I took it for a test drive,it was stuck in third gear.
We got together on TeamViewer yesterday morning(Sunday) for an hour and 25 minutes trying to figure it out with no luck.Conclusion...I need to remove the TCM and send it to him for re-calibration.
The truck had been running,so I went in the house for lunch and watch a couple of Youtube videos on the removal process while it cooled off.
I was just about to go outside to start draining the fluid when Russell called again to try a possible fix
After another 43 minute session,he got it to shift correctly by modifying an 8HP95 tune
Took it for a bit of a drive and 1,or both,of the trans cooler lines are leaking,but it shifts great
I still have to send him the TCM so he can make the manual shifting mode work

Russell (SGA) definitely puts in the work to make sure his product works and makes sure his customers are well taken care of

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He helped me a ton with mine, I had an odd cruise control / AC glitch.

I'm going to send him my TCM as well this summer to get the manual shifting enabled.

He is great!

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
The amount of time Russell spent on my Cummins swap was impressive. I sent my TCM to him and love the manual mode and console shifter.
Dodge Boy Calibration 8HP <[email protected]> was the only tuner that was able/willing to spend the time and get the trans tuned the way I wanted it. The off throttle downshifts are fantastic.
Shifter finished.jpg