8 speed transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has there been any major ZF 8 speed trans issues in the ram trucks? Has anyone been left stranded from trans problems? My dad is having major issues with the Ford 10 speed and been stranded 3 times in the last month. He is fed up. It only has 18k on it. I told him I don’t think there have been any major issues with the ram. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramcharger60

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 crew cab sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as I know it's only ford having tranny issues. What's ironic is gm isn't and they are using a version of this transmission which was a joint venture between them

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When I saw your post title I thought this was going to be the first one I had heard of with the 8spd. I guess I can still say I haven't heard of anything.

Dodge/Ram hasn't exactly been known for building quality trannys over the years but it does seem like they are getting better lately. I really haven't heard/read of too many issues with the 66rfe (6.4 Hemi) or 68rfe (most Cummins) over the last 5 years or so.

Of course, my personal experience is quite different - 2014 6.4 Hemi, original tranny blew at 38K, was rebuilt and blew again at 93K and now I'm almost to 100K. It would be easy to throw out all Ram trannys as trash but, again, I just haven't seen that many problems on this board so I think I'm just unlucky.

The 6.4 with an 8spd looks like a dream to drive and I'm having a VERY hard time not buying one.

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From what I have gathered... darn near all the issues with FCA, GM, and Ford latest high gear count (8, 9, 10 speeds) are related to software and programming issues... mechanically, they're said to be pretty solid.

FCA had programming trouble with the ZF 9 speed in the Cherokee but finally figured it out.

The programming gets pretty finicky when you start trying to manage that many gears.

My 2018 Ram has the 8 speed and it is, so far, the best dang auto transmission I've ever encountered... always in the right gear, whether slowing down, speeding up, pulling, or coasting.

My wife has a 2020 Cherokee and it too is doing fine so far.

All that is to say.... when they figure out the programming, the 10 speed may be a good transmission in all makes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FCA doesn't build all the 8 speeds... some are still made in Germany.... the one in my truck was made by ZF in Germany... says so on the window sticker.

That may or may not be relevant.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ramrodd

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah that’s all good to know. I have the 09 ram with the 5 speed and I have kept it serviced regularly and had no issues with it and I’m over 150k on it. So I had no experience with the ZF. But I’m thinking my next truck will be the 2500 6.4 with the 8 speed. Thanks to all that have replied!

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I haven't heard of any problems.

I came from a 2012 ram 1500 5.7l with the 6 speed. Just traded up to a 2020 powerwagon. And oh my god do I think this transmission is a thing of beauty!

For a truck that weighs over 8500 pounds. Having the 8 speed. And 4:10 gears makes this thing get up and go from a dead stop.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ramrodd

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven't heard of any problems.

I came from a 2012 ram 1500 5.7l with the 6 speed. Just traded up to a 2020 powerwagon. And oh my god do I think this transmission is a thing of beauty!

For a truck that weighs over 8500 pounds. Having the 8 speed. And 4:10 gears makes this thing get up and go from a dead stop.

Yeah I like the power wagons but the payload isn’t much, that’s why I’m looking at the big horns. What’s the payload on your power wagon?

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
ive got a 15 Ram 1500 with the 8spd....its been great. the only issue i have is if slowly breaking up to a stop, then holding, such as a stop light, when i take off there is a little clunk... other than that, its rock solid...

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ive got a 15 Ram 1500 with the 8spd....its been great. the only issue i have is if slowly breaking up to a stop, then holding, such as a stop light, when i take off there is a little clunk... other than that, its rock solid...

Have you tried lubing the splines under the accordian boot on the driveshaft?

OP
OP
Ramrodd

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok since it looks like the transmissions look to have no issues are there any others issues with the newer trucks? Are the hemi’s still having cam/lifter failures?

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Yeah I like the power wagons but the payload isn’t much, that’s why I’m looking at the big horns. What’s the payload on your power wagon?

Oh I just wanted to chime in because it is still a 2500 with the 8 speed lol.

But yeah, if you need it for hauling and towing.. not the best.

I think the max payload is like 1400lbs, and max towing capacity is jus over 10,000lbs lol.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Ok since it looks like the transmissions look to have no issues are there any others issues with the newer trucks? Are the hemi’s still having cam/lifter failures?

Yes.. but treat them well with good oil and filters, and you will be ok.

My old 2012 ram 150 with the 5.7l had just over 175,000 miles when I traded it in. The engine was still buttery smooth, and quiet. In fact. Both my dad and myself were always amazed at how quiet and smooth that engine was. We would stand there with the hood up just listening to it.

Redline 5w-30 and a royal purple filter will be your best friend in this truck

OP
OP
Ramrodd

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes.. but treat them well with good oil and filters, and you will be ok.

My old 2012 ram 150 with the 5.7l had just over 175,000 miles when I traded it in. The engine was still buttery smooth, and quiet. In fact. Both my dad and myself were always amazed at how quiet and smooth that engine was. We would stand there with the hood up just listening to it.

Redline 5w-30 and a royal purple filter will be your best friend in this truck

I’ve got 151k on mine and have run Mobil 1 oil since I’ve had it at 32k miles and I had the cam/lifter failure at 111k. I change the oil at 6k. So maybe it’s the luck of the draw.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If you poke around, you'll see threads here and there with the ZF8 in the Ram 1500s. Valve body issues, an occasional bearing/bushing issue and fluid heater problems.

The ZF8 for the pentastars (8HP45) is still the German based ZF8, but manufactured in house by FCA. A lot of the parts are the same. Pan/filter, etc. I believe FCA went this way since the pentastar/ZF8 combo is used in so many Ram, Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep applications.

I believe the 8HP70 for the hemi powered Rams still comes from Germany.

Given the numbers of them that are out there since ~2013. I think you'll find a much lower issue rate than the other domestic brand too many speed automatics.