A/C Compressor Clutch - Diagnosing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
GordDavey

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Gord,
both ends of the fuse have 0v and I even put a new fuse just to be sure. I will try to check the pressure transducer tomorrow. I did connect the gauges and the low pressure was on 60psi and the high pressure was 20psi with the clutch disengage. I am not sure if that is OK but at least I know there is freon in the system. what voltage should I get from testing the pressure transducer to be correct? Where do I go if the pressure transducer checks OK?
Thanks.
Rafael
I’m sorry I don’t remember the pressure values. But yours sounds low to me. Others will know the pressures.

OP
OP
GordDavey

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Gord,
both ends of the fuse have 0v and I even put a new fuse just to be sure. I will try to check the pressure transducer tomorrow. I did connect the gauges and the low pressure was on 60psi and the high pressure was 20psi with the clutch disengage. I am not sure if that is OK but at least I know there is freon in the system. what voltage should I get from testing the pressure transducer to be correct? Where do I go if the pressure transducer checks OK?
Thanks.
Rafael. From what I’ve read depending on the surrounding air temp the high side should be over 100. There are charts on the net with pressures for low and high side based on ambient air temp and what to look at when the pressures are wrong. If you really are only getting 20psi on the high side. Then it’s likely the transducer is reporting that pressure and the ECM is refusing to power the clutch. I’m no AC expert so this is we’re my knowledge ends on this one.

Last edited:

Rafael Blanco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I forgot to mentioned that the condenser fan does not come on either. Is it possible that the solenoid in the compressor is bad and causes the problem? I checked the connector and was all coated with white type corrosion, I cleaned it the best I could but did not make any difference.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the compressor is not running, both the high side and low side pressure should be the same, if not there a problem. Also the refrigerant pressure should be roughly the same as the ambient temperature 65°F = 65 psi

Rafael Blanco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you guys!
Today when I was coming back home from work the AC worked. I was playing with the headlights switch and I started to feel nice cold air then I stop to visually check and sure enough the compressor was working. When I got home I was checking things under the hood and the refrigerant pressure was fine (pressure according to chart observed in gauges). However, two things I observed were the condenser fan was not working though the AC was on and the low side AC hose only felt a little cold and not super cold as you would expect. Now I am totally baffled because I don't know how the multi-displacement solenoid in the AC compressor affects the way the AC works in comparison to other cars without that solenoid. I hope it works tomorrow but even if it does, what system might be interfering with the AC? The headlights seem like a good candidate but I don't really know how or what to start checking from here.

OP
OP
GordDavey

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rafael, Well you did mention that fuse 62 was blown and you replaced it. There could be a short in the wiring somewhere which caused that fuse to blow, or an issue with the PDC that caused that fuse to blow. But the wire is just ECM to PDC, then PDC to AC compressor.

I don't know what conditions cause the condenser fan to run or not. But there are only a few pieces to the entire AC system. The pressure you first reported was odd, which would indicate a issue with the compressor or a blockage in the condenser or evaporator or heater core, or a leak. I'd say try to eliminate the electrical side by making sure connectors and contacts are clean, grounds all work and voltage is correct with the truck on Max A/C. Test what electrical you can like powering the condenser fan, just like you did the clutch and eliminate the electrical. After all that appears OK, I would get leak test and validate the pressure. If nothing is found, then I would suggest a new AC compressor. But as I've said before I'm not a pro, just a DIY'er. But that's my advice.

Rafael Blanco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, due to my inability to find the problem took the truck to a professional AC shop and they diagnosed the the problem to be the compressor built in solenoid. I was wondering if that is a part that can be purchased separately from the compressor. I made a quick search and could not find it. Any ideas?

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
There is an electronic controlled solenoid in the compressor. It is what varies the displacement of the compressor.

Connector C1 should have 12V and ground. C2 will have ground and a pulse width modulated circuit. How much voltage there will be on the circuit depends on demand of the system.

Man you are a wealth of knowledge.

I need 24 hours with an employee computer and I'll be able to find every FCA question I've ever had.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
On my 2015 I've gone through 2 A/C compressors. The clutch both times was the culprit but it was probably more beneficial to the dealer to just replace the whole thing.

The air would continue to blow ambient or hot just never cold. That tells me right away the clutch is not engaging to compress the air. I could visibly see the clutch not engaging when it was being commanded to.

I can fix just about anything on my vehicles but for some reason A/C is my kryptonite.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Ok, due to my inability to find the problem took the truck to a professional AC shop and they diagnosed the the problem to be the compressor built in solenoid. I was wondering if that is a part that can be purchased separately from the compressor. I made a quick search and could not find it. Any ideas?

Based off my research you have to buy it as a unit. Trying to find AC parts for 15 and newer is like pulling teeth.

Not sure if the dealer was making extra on the side but each of my A/C failures required replacement of the compressor.

Rafael Blanco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SOLVED

The problem was the multi-displacement solenoid in the compressor. That solenoid is not sold separately, not even the dealer, so I bought a used compressor from a 2017 Ram for $75 and swapped with mine and I have nice cold air again.

Thanks all for the suggestions and help!

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
SOLVED

The problem was the multi-displacement solenoid in the compressor. That solenoid is not sold separately, not even the dealer, so I bought a used compressor from a 2017 Ram for $75 and swapped with mine and I have nice cold air again.

Thanks all for the suggestions and help!

Makes perfect sense why I've had the compressor replaced twice now under warranty.

Jwrigh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Holy dead thread revival Batman!

Sorry...but this thread fit with where I'm at. So I have a similar issue. One day, about two months ago, the ac quit blowing cold in my 2014. (5.7 Hemi, Lonestar) didn't do anything for a while, as it kinda had to be on the back burner.

I'm finally getting around to working on it, and here's where I'm at:

Took it to a shop to have the refrigerant toppd up, they did, but said the compressor would no longer engage. Wanted 1900 to replace the compressor. Told them to remove all they added, and I'd deal with it later. At this point, the system is empty

Came back, started doing some research, and found this thread.

-Tested ground to C1? And it's good.
-Manually jumped the compressor clutch and it seems good (not sure how much travel there is supposed to be. Mine has a mm or two when engaged/disengaged)
-fuse looks good in 62... but with no refrigerant in the system, I dont think there would be a voltage there, correct?

Trying to keep tracing the problem, but not sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! @GordDavey

Swamptech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There is a clutch control wire in the (Module PowerTrain control) (typically I call it ECM for Engine Computer), a wire Light Blue and Orange goes from connector C1 (Black) pin 79 on the ECM to the Fuse box (PDC) Connector 3 (black) pin 10.

The A/C Pressure Transducer is also part of the Clutch Control circuit, its a smallish sensor in the AC tubing not far from the fill openings. It has 3 wires, ground, 5v and pressure signal. You can put a voltmeter to ground and the pressure signal and you can see how much pressure it is sending, 1v=100psi, 1.5=150psi, 5v=500psi. This sensor can be replaced without draining the system.

So, if your A/C Pressure is too low or the sensor is bad, then the ECM will not allow the clutch to get voltage, which means 0v at fuse 62.
Yeah this isn’t right. I have 5.5 volts with no refrigerant in it. So replaced everything in the refrigerant systen . Still nothing. I’m sure nobody knows how to fix theseRam trucks they just quote theory. All of these threads are years old. And there’s a million of them. Apparently these aren’t breaking with anyone else. $4,000 later in just parts and I’m certain not even Chrysler knows how they’re made.