About to light this thing on fire...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew Belser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Hello everybody, back again here. So I have a 2001 off-road edition with the 5.9l in it. Wasn't shifting properly (had to let off the gas or hit the gas really hard just to get it to shift into third). Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. So I did the sensor change and installed a new Borg Warner solenoid. (I did both I just dont remember the name of the other one). And for the first few days it was working much better. It would shift at or before 3000 rpm. Now, a week later almost, and the damn thing is acting like I never put my time, money, and sweat into it. I also adjusted the rear band, 72 inch lbs, back off 2 full turns. Checked the tranny fluid after a few days and the level is perfect. ALSO, I was having an issue with the engine pinging under load. So I replaced the plugs and put 91 octane in the tank, fixed it about 90 percent. What are the other causes of ping? Does this truck seriously take premium gas at 12mpg?? I love this truck but its really starting to **** me off when it ****** my money and free time away. I did a Seafoam treatment (the spray kind) 12k miles ago and I currently have seafoam in the tank as well. Thanks for any info.

OP
OP
A

Andrew Belser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Pinging under load is common, particularly if you haven't fixed the plenum.
I replaced the cap and plugs. Its running much better now. Some pinging still when pulling a load. I think I need to do the gasket. It kinda hisses or whistles when accelerating. But i always thought that was just vacuum noise.