AC never frosty cold since new!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Not all the condensation drains though, the evaporator will still be slightly damp. The moisture on the evaporator when the vehicle shuts off can cause the growth and musty smell. This is really only an issue if it’s in recirc for a long time, and it’s very minimal but over time it can cause the growth. The newer systems with humidity sensors will actually automatically open the fresh air intake to help control humidity.

When I have recirculation on in my 2020 2500 I often hear the fresh air door open when driving on the freeway. Around town, it's imperceptible. I say this, as the system does have a humidity sensor and will open the fresh air door when needed.

lowufo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2017 has been disappointing since new, but is “within range” so no warranty repair. It works, but is the worst of all the vehicles I drive.
Vehicles I drive regularly that have colder AC than my ram:
-2015 Camry
-2012 F250
-2012 Silverado
-2010 F150 (x3 of them)
-2010 Dakota
so everything else is colder...

My 2017 Sport is same thing from new. My 2009 Challenger is waaay colder as is my wifes 2005 Yukon. Sometimes I need to turn the a/c off then back on for it to work good on max a/c.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not all the condensation drains though, the evaporator will still be slightly damp. The moisture on the evaporator when the vehicle shuts off can cause the growth and musty smell. This is really only an issue if it’s in recirc for a long time, and it’s very minimal but over time it can cause the growth. The newer systems with humidity sensors will actually automatically open the fresh air intake to help control humidity.
What's the best way to get rid of that smell?

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2015 on recirculating gets to 4 degrees Celsius on a hot day....

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Not all the condensation drains though, the evaporator will still be slightly damp. The moisture on the evaporator when the vehicle shuts off can cause the growth and musty smell. This is really only an issue if it’s in recirc for a long time, and it’s very minimal but over time it can cause the growth.
Any time the AC is running the evaporator will be damp, whether it's on recirc or not. Even if the leaving air temperature is above dewpoint, parts of the coil surface are below it. If this was a chiled water coil, that would be a different story, but with DX cooling the liquid refrigerant boiling off. If the issue is to dry out the evaporator then turning the AC off for a few minutes before shutting the vehicle down would be required.
If I'm not mistaken when the truck is shut off, the HVAC system automatically sets the recirc damper open.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What's the best way to get rid of that smell?

They make spray kits that have a long hose on them for spraying the evaporator with cleaner. Basically you would remove the blower motor, fish the hose through the housing till it’s near the evaporator and soak it with this cleaner. Let it sit for 30 minutes. Then run the truck with the heat on high and A/C off for another 30 minutes. It usually works pretty well.

OP
OP
A

ArmyGrunt66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They make spray kits that have a long hose on them for spraying the evaporator with cleaner. Basically you would remove the blower motor, fish the hose through the housing till it’s near the evaporator and soak it with this cleaner. Let it sit for 30 minutes. Then run the truck with the heat on high and A/C off for another 30 minutes. It

usually works pretty well.

I actually, dont laugh now, sprayed bathroom deodorizer into my vents, mind you it was in my Mustang, no more smell.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I upgraded my 14 Express from the original single zone manual system to single zone auto and finally pulled the dash and replaced the HVAC box and upgraded to the full factory Dual Zone ATC like the higher trim levels have. I had already done the full factory 8.4" radio upgrade. It works great and I love it. It was summer when I installed it and I was testing the system for a few days with the glovebox and other parts still off so I could check driver/passenger blend door operation ect and I noticed everytime I put the truck on auto it would go into recirculation mode. I also noticed that when I took it off of auto the recirculation would stay on but the LED light on the switch would not illuminate so basically the truck would stay on recirculation even though the button said it was off. I could regain control of the recirculation door by pressing the button to turn it on and then press it again to turn it off and it would function normally when I was using the manual mode. When the truck is on ATC you can push the recirculation button on and off and it will indicate it is opening and closing the recirculation door but in actuality it isn't doing anything at all. I was assuming my truck did this because there was something I missed with enabling the codes or possibly the wiring I had to add. I checked 3 of my friends trucks that came with the Dual Zone ATC. I checked two 17's and a 19 Classic and all three did exactly the same as my truck. It gets hot here....109° today but we don't have a lot of humidity compared to some states. My point is if you have the Auto Temp Control and you have your truck on Auto it's on recirculation in many cases even though it doesn't say it is. Another thing to note is my truck is the Quad Cab so I don't have the A/C vents in the back of the truck. I was going to add them but decided not too because I wanted to keep my air flow in the dash vents as high as possible. My truck has great air flow and will literally get so cold it's uncomfortable unless it's extremely hot outside and even then gets plenty cold.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

ArmyGrunt66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I upgraded my 14 Express from the original single zone manual system to single zone auto and finally pulled the dash and replaced the HVAC box and upgraded to the full factory Dual Zone ATC like the
higher trim levels have. I had already done the full factory 8.4" radio upgrade. It works great and I love it. It was summer when I installed it and I was testing the system for a few days with the glovebox and other parts still off so I could check driver/passenger blend door operation ect and I noticed everytime I put the truck on auto it would go into recirculation mode. I also noticed that when I took it off of auto the recirculation would stay on but the LED light on the switch would not illuminate so basically the truck would stay on recirculation even though the button said it was off. I could regain control of the recirculation door by pressing the button to turn it on and then press it again to turn it off and it would function normally when I was using the manual mode. When the truck is on ATC you can push the recirculation button on and off and it will indicate it is opening and closing the recirculation door but in actuality it isn't doing anything at all. I was assuming my truck did this because there was something I missed with enabling the codes or possibly the wiring I had to add. I checked 3 of my friends trucks that came with the Dual Zone ATC. I checked two 17's and a 19 Classic and all three did exactly the same as my truck. It gets hot here....109° today but we don't have a lot of humidity compared to some states. My point is if you have the Auto Temp Control and you have your truck on Auto it's on recirculation in many cases even though it doesn't say it is. Another thing to note is my truck is the Quad Cab so I don't have the A/C vents in the back of the truck. I was going to add them but decided not too because I wanted to keep my air flow in the dash vents as high as possible. My truck has great air flow and will literally get so cold it's uncomfortable unless it's extremely hot outside and even then gets plenty cold.

Yea, I notice when I only use the AC without the recirculation mode activated and no light on, I can hear the AC blowing and occasionally going up in speed and back down again, no recirculation light on or blinking, sooo the system is letting in outside air then closes off the system?

DKSDonnie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know the correct low and hi side pressure for 2009 Dodge ram 1500. I'm a diy'er and was a Chry mechanic many years ago and have worked on my own vehicles for years. Wanted to just make sure my freon was where it needed to be and I have the gauges. Things ahve changed over the years and newer vehicles work much more efficiently and don't require near as much refrigerant as before. I have read numerous blogs with numerous specs from 30-45 psi on given ambient temps. All the charts I see for 134a say the same pressures but many so called mechanics say less and others say more. At 80 deg my Dodge is at 32 psi low side but all the charts say it should be around 45 psi. Can anyone give me the proper pressures for given ambient temps or do we all have our own opinion. I saw a blog where an old timer said if he saw pressures according to the modern day charts, he would be concerned there was a problem. You can't remember all the specs on everything so I rely on others that specifically know any given vehicles true specs for help. Many of us have the skills and tools to properly carry out any repair, we just need the specs. Some of the blogs I have read over the years on certain repairs that I know are wrong, I wouldn't them work on my go kart.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
. My point is if you have the Auto Temp Control and you have your truck on Auto it's on recirculation in many cases even though it doesn't say it is.
When your in Auto mode, it doesn't show you where the air is coming out, if it's in recirc or if the AC is even on. If you hit the recirc "button" or any of the other modes in the HVAC menu it turns the Auto mode off(at least it does in mine). The system will switch the recirc door open/closed whether your in Auto or not, the only time it doesn't is if one of the defrost vent modes are selected.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When your in Auto mode, it doesn't show you where the air is coming out, if it's in recirc or if the AC is even on. If you hit the recirc "button" or any of the other modes in the HVAC menu it turns the Auto mode off(at least it does in mine). The system will switch the recirc door open/closed whether your in Auto or not, the only time it doesn't is if one of the defrost vent modes are selected.
My truck and the three I tested would allow you to press the recirculation button in auto mode Without automatically taking the truck out of auto mode. . The LED will illuminate showing the door is opening and closing but it isn't moving. If you press any other button besides the recirculation or mirror heat button or change the fan speed that would automatically switch it to manual. On all 4 trucks when you took the truck off of auto when the truck is cooling the recirculation door remained open even though the recirculation door button LED indicator doesn't illuminate to show it's in recirculation mode. This is the behavior I felt was strange but seems to be normal behavior. I also noticed that if you turned off the A/C in manual mode the truck will automatically switch to outside air.

d6ea5b77c0d5dbd1e35dace877f5ed3f.jpg

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Does anyone know the correct low and hi side pressure for 2009 Dodge ram 1500. I'm a diy'er and was a Chry mechanic many years ago and have worked on my own vehicles for years. Wanted to just make sure my freon was where it needed to be and I have the gauges. Things ahve changed over the years and newer vehicles work much more efficiently and don't require near as much refrigerant as before. I have read numerous blogs with numerous specs from 30-45 psi on given ambient temps. All the charts I see for 134a say the same pressures but many so called mechanics say less and others say more. At 80 deg my Dodge is at 32 psi low side but all the charts say it should be around 45 psi. Can anyone give me the proper pressures for given ambient temps or do we all have our own opinion. I saw a blog where an old timer said if he saw pressures according to the modern day charts, he would be concerned there was a problem. You can't remember all the specs on everything so I rely on others that specifically know any given vehicles true specs for help. Many of us have the skills and tools to properly carry out any repair, we just need the specs. Some of the blogs I have read over the years on certain repairs that I know are wrong, I wouldn't them work on my go kart.

9BBDC019-1CDD-4EC8-BADC-AD9504FE1C7C.png

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2013 with 134A is and has always been nice and cold. We have pretty hot/humid summers here and I have never felt like it was struggling to keep the cabin cool. Might just be the older refrigerant, my wifes 2020 Jeep GC with 1234YF takes longer to get cool and I don't feel like it gets quite as cold either...

Seth Richards

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l Hemi
We are in the middle of a big heat wave (109 today) and my AC worked great. Three of us were nice and cool in the truck riding around in the heat. We have triple digits forecasted till next weekend. This is like Phoenix weather. I went to high school in Phoenix and it’s this kind of heat that made me want to leave as soon as I graduated.

I’m in a 2019 1500 classic BH CC

jrcorney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2009 Ram, 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab when the temperature was 100 Plus here in Jersey was set to 65 degrees for driver and passenger. Very comfortable

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yea, I always avoided using the recirculation mode, guess I was wrong, 6 degrees difference I guess for me makes a difference, thanks for your input.

Kevin
I am not a air teck, but I have 2 systems that froze up, but those where on old R12 systems on tractors, where you don't get much air movement , and lots of dirt These newer things will not get that cold, and I don't like too cold anyway, Son inlaw with his 2012 Ram has it set at 19 c and I need a coat. I keep mine about 22c which is about 72 F , To day up in the great white north is 30+ and
climbing above 90 F