AC stays engaged all the time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kgibson1315

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 2016 Ram 1500. I have noticed that even when I'm running just the vent for outside air that my ac is actually still running. With cooler weather coming I would like to run just the vent without the ac engaging.

CarrollB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought the same thing was/is happening on my 2016 RAM. My thought is why put wear on the AC compressor if it's not that warm out.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have your truck on vent only your compressor should not be running. The only time your compressor should be constantly running is if you have auto temp control and you have it activated. Are you certain that the compressor clutch is actually engaging?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Kgibson1315

Kgibson1315

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I'm sure its running. If it wasnt engaging I wouldn't be getting the water dripping under the truck from the ac being on. I never use the auto temp function.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'd have to investigate further, but for defrost the ac does help to remove moisture so usually stays running.

OP
OP
Kgibson1315

Kgibson1315

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have done some looking online, but cant find any answers. Als long as my AC works I guess I can live with it.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have recently ran into this same issue, flipping ****** me off. It’s random as well so taking it in for warranty repair is a joke. I did take a video the other night showing the a/c was “off” then popped the hood to clearly show the compressor engaged and spinning away.

From what I’ve researched It a relay type of issue but it’s something in the BCM as I don’t think there is a separate relay for the clutch. I did find the fuse and when I pulled it the compressor disengaged...............

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I'm sure its running. If it wasnt engaging I wouldn't be getting the water dripping under the truck from the ac being on. I never use the auto temp function.
This is very interesting. This is kinda a long story but I will try to condense it as much a possible. My truck didn't come with the ATC but we actually figured out how to add it by enabling the codes plus adding some wiring etc. It seemed to work great until a member had to replace his compressor for other reasons and noticed his compressor was always engaged no matter what setting he had his truck on in either manual or auto mode. All of us that had converted our trucks to ATC checked and sure enough ours were doing the same except the guys with 2013 trucks or the guys with 2500's and 3500's. We tested trucks that came from the factory equipped with ATC and they did Not function the same as the converted trucks. After tons of experimenting we figured out that we needed to install the Humidity Sensor and wiring that mounts near the rear view mirror. After we installed the sensor we regained control of the compressor operation and it now turns off when the system is on vent. It turns out the truck was turning on the compressor because the sensor circuit was open. This does not apply to 2013 1500 trucks that still use the R134 refrigerant or the 13 to 18 2500's and 3500's. Only the 14 to 18 1500 trucks use the Humidity Sensor. Not saying that your problem is the Humidity Sensor but we have determined that the compressor should not run when the truck is on vent. If anyone has the Alfa tool or has access to it I would recommend checking the HVAC module for DTC codes to see if the compressor is being activated by default. If you're still under warranty Then you could possibly have the dealer check the truck and hope you get a tech that knows what he's doing.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck is a Laramie and has ATC (which I never use) soon wonder if the humidity sensor is bad? I’ll have it do some more investigating.......

on another note, I wonder if this issue is anyway related to my home link not working half the time, the connections and assembly are in the same vicinity.

image.jpg

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
;) Let’s get my post count up, here the quick video I shot on my phone the compressor

Well that was a fail, apparently I know how to add pics but not video.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck is a Laramie and has ATC (which I never use) soon wonder if the humidity sensor is bad? I’ll have it do some more investigating.......

on another note, I wonder if this issue is anyway related to my home link not working half the time, the connections and assembly are in the same vicinity.

View attachment 220690
Can't see what truck you drive on Taptalk but going by your user name if your truck is a 2500/3500 correct? If it is it doesn't have a Humidity Sensor so that wouldn't be your issue. If you have a 1500 it would be a possibility.

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope, 1500
Ok sorry, I can't see your truck on Taptalk but assumed it might be a 2500 but yes it definitely could be the Humidity Sensor if it's a 1500. I would definitely check the HVAC module for codes if possible.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok sorry, I can't see your truck on Taptalk but assumed it might be a 2500 but yes it definitely could be the Humidity Sensor if it's a 1500. I would definitely check the HVAC module for codes if possible.

I gonna give that a go. What’s interesting is I didn’t have this problem until my compressor was replaced a few months ago.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I gonna give that a go. What’s interesting is I didn’t have this problem until my compressor was replaced a few months ago.
There is only the one connector for the compressor so maybe that would be something to check as well. If it were damaged or possibly a wire had rubbed through it's possible it's getting an internment connection somehow. If it started after the compressor was replaced it would be the first thing I would check and go from there.

OP
OP
Kgibson1315

Kgibson1315

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is very interesting. This is kinda a long story but I will try to condense it as much a possible. My truck didn't come with the ATC but we actually figured out how to add it by enabling the codes plus adding some wiring etc. It seemed to work great until a member had to replace his compressor for other reasons and noticed his compressor was always engaged no matter what setting he had his truck on in either manual or auto mode. All of us that had converted our trucks to ATC checked and sure enough ours were doing the same except the guys with 2013 trucks or the guys with 2500's and 3500's. We tested trucks that came from the factory equipped with ATC and they did Not function the same as the converted trucks. After tons of experimenting we figured out that we needed to install the Humidity Sensor and wiring that mounts near the rear view mirror. After we installed the sensor we regained control of the compressor operation and it now turns off when the system is on vent. It turns out the truck was turning on the compressor because the sensor circuit was open. This does not apply to 2013 1500 trucks that still use the R134 refrigerant or the 13 to 18 2500's and 3500's. Only the 14 to 18 1500 trucks use the Humidity Sensor. Not saying that your problem is the Humidity Sensor but we have determined that the compressor should not run when the truck is on vent. If anyone has the Alfa tool or has access to it I would recommend checking the HVAC module for DTC codes to see if the compressor is being activated by default. If you're still under warranty Then you could possibly have the dealer check the truck and hope you get a tech that knows what he's doing.

Interesting! Well my truck has been wrecked and the front windshield was replaced. So I will have to check on that sensor. Thanks for the help!

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting! Well my truck has been wrecked and the front windshield was replaced. So I will have to check on that sensor. Thanks for the help!
The Humidity Sensor should be next to the mirror cover on the passenger side of the windshield and connected to a small wire that comes through a small slit in the headliner. Its under a small black cover. I posted a pic of the cover in case you weren't familiar with it. I also includeda picture of the sensor itself. 81f3156ccbb55e01a0e6d9b471245d96.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
View attachment 220731

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kgibson1315

Kgibson1315

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Humidity Sensor should be next to the mirror cover on the passenger side of the windshield and connected to a small wire that comes through a small slit in the headliner. Its under a small black cover. I posted a pic of the cover in case you weren't familiar with it. 81f3156ccbb55e01a0e6d9b471245d96.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
Thanks! I have the cover in my glove box actually along with the auto wiper rain sensor. I will check it out tomorrow.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sensor20200904_213220.jpg