Adding Rear Window Defroster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXTONKA

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Anyone have any clue how hard it would be to add the rear window defroster in a 2017 ram?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Your probably looking at replacing the rear window, it the truck has heated mirrors the module to run it is probably there.
Why thought? Learn how to use your sideview mirrors correctly and sink that money into a different mod.

OP
OP
TXTONKA

TXTONKA

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Your right it's not necessary. But it was nice to have on my Laramie I traded in for my Power Wagon. If it's as simple as just the rear window replacement and I found a heated rear window for the right price I'd probably go ahead and do it.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The expensive part of changing the Ram back window is the cost. I've got a solid window, was given a sliding window (not power) and no one wants to change it out for less than $300 and that's just the labor.

Blue Mule

Chad Cunningham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was wondering this too. Probably more hassle than it's worth but I've noticed the rear window fogs up pretty easily here in our damp NW winters and it takes forever to clear up with no defroster. I find it really strange that my truck has defrosters on the side mirrors but not the rear window.

OP
OP
TXTONKA

TXTONKA

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yea. I’ve found with some of our deep negative winter temps in Alaska it would be nice to have the defroster. But probably not worth the cost.

POINTMAN380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I didn't even know Ram made trucks without rear defrost. I have the most base model tradesman 2500. I'm talking plastic floors, no carpet. And it has rear defrost.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I didn't even know Ram made trucks without rear defrost. I have the most base model tradesman 2500. I'm talking plastic floors, no carpet. And it has rear defrost.
You might have the button for rear window defrost but that turns on the side view mirrors defrost. If your back glass doesn't have the horizontal grid lines then you don't have rear window defrost.

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you want to install your own rear window defroster from a kit, your can. Just checkout www.frostfighter.com and you can get them with or without the timer and wiring harness

OP
OP
TXTONKA

TXTONKA

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yea it seems to be a feature that is hit and miss on whether dealers order it. It's a nice to have feature to have but not completely necessary.

OP
OP
TXTONKA

TXTONKA

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Frostfighter looks to have some nice kits. Unfortunately they only sell kits for solid rear windows.

Chad Cunningham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The frostfighter kit looked good but I watched an install video and it's pretty ugly... you end up with big solid pieces stuck on the windshield for the bus and then a visible wire connection going to it.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

My '14 Express has heated mirrors but no rear defroster.

-K

POINTMAN380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You might have the button for rear window defrost but that turns on the side view mirrors defrost. If your back glass doesn't have the horizontal grid lines then you don't have rear window defrost.
Hmmm....learn something new everyday

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its not necessary here in new Jersey we dont get snow anymore