Adjustable shocks vs. leveling kit??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roufs Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got a 18 RAM 1500 Crew cab. Looking to either use a leveling kit or adjustable shocks (Bilstien 5100’s).

Any thoughts on either?? Pros and cons and costs??

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
All pros to the Bils except cost. However the ride quality will be worth the difference.

I can’t remember if you have to decompress the spring to use spacers but if you don’t I guess install would be easier with spacers. Regardless it’s one extra step that’s worth it anyway.

If your budget can afford Bils then there’s no comparison. I did mine after putting on 30,000kms(purchased truck brand new) and honestly they were a huge upgrade from stock even if I didn’t set the height up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4x4 or 2wd ? I see you're in Socal, What are the plans for the truck ? work only, offroad/street, performance offroad, mall crawling? there is a little bit of everything when it comes to suspension for this trucks so you'll be covered for anything you want to do, prices will vary accordingly.

OP
OP
R

Roufs Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everyday driver. But I am adventurous. Hauling dirt bikes and camping gear. A little of everything. Yes 4x4

All pros to the Bils except cost. However the ride quality will be worth the difference.

I can’t remember if you have to decompress the spring to use spacers but if you don’t I guess install would be easier with spacers. Regardless it’s one extra step that’s worth it anyway.

If your budget can afford Bils then there’s no comparison. I did mine after putting on 30,000kms(purchased truck brand new) and honestly they were a huge upgrade from stock even if I didn’t set the height up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4x4 or 2wd ? I see you're in Socal, What are the plans for the truck ? work only, offroad/street, performance offroad, mall crawling? there is a little bit of everything when it comes to suspension for this trucks so you'll be covered for anything you want to do, prices will vary accordingly.

OP
OP
R

Roufs Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Of course mall crawling! Hahaha. Everyday driver with some adventure hauling camping gear and dirt bikes. Yes 4x4.

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go the bilstein route better option all around. I read several of the threads on here before going this route myself. Found them on amazon for $210 for the front set and put them on this past sunday. I set them at 2.1 which is just right in my opinion for the look i was going for and they in my opinion ride better than the factory struts. Install only took about 1.5 hours and that was me taking my time and doing a few things in the garage between sides.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Contact Nick@Gotexhaust and check your options. If interested in offroad performance and reliability you can’t beat race shocks from King,Fox,Icon or Radflo. Fully serviceable, can be revalved to whatever you want, and they’re all here in SoCal so you can literally walk in their shop pick your valve/seal bags along with oil and do the work yourself, otherwise there are options as well to have them rebuilt by them or other tuner shops all around Socal.

Below that you have Falcon shocks or Bilstein 6112, they can be serviced but i don't know if they can be revalved. Not full race shocks but bigger than stock bore and least valved with offroad duties in mind so you can have fun with them on the trails, you’ll have longer downtime when that time comes because it seems only the manufacturer can service them so you have to send them out for the work. Bilstein advertises the 6112 with 5160’s in the rear but the last are throw away shocks, better option is Icon 2.0 with or without reservoirs to be paired with 6112’s. Icons can be serviced and revalved to whatever you want/need.

Below that you have cheaper options for street duty with light offroad throttle, Bilstein 5100’s,Eibach,Rancho, last are plug and play but lift is only 2”, Bilstein 5100 or Eibach are front adjustable via clips up to 2.8”, you could run the Ranchos with a 1/2 top spacer for about 2.5” lift. I don’t know how eibach rides as it’s the only street setup I’ve never tried no doubts Ranchos ride better than 5100 on the street. they're all throw away shocks so no service/revalving.

You're in the offroad bike world so you should know how all this stuff works, pick your poison and have fun with it :)

OP
OP
R

Roufs Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sweet thank you for your input. This will get me going for sure. I got an idea of what I wanna do now. Thanks for taking the time to give me advice