AFE Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mace Peveler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I put the AFE exhaust on my truck. Obnoxiously loud and terrible drone when the MDS kicks in. Back to the muffler shop today to remove it and install a Flowmaster muffler and delete the resonator.

Anyone interested in an AFE exhaust system? Used for one week. Will make a smoking deal to anyone interested.

Thanks,
Mace

Rated R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have one as well and was concerned about the drone when it was new and had first put it on. Now that I've had it for a while the drone has toned way down and don't even notice if it's there anymore. The system has seemed to be 'seasoned', broken in I suppose but now I think it sounds great.

OP
OP
M

Mace Peveler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have one as well and was concerned about the drone when it was new and had first put it on. Now that I've had it for a while the drone has toned way down and don't even notice if it's there anymore. The system has seemed to be 'seasoned', broken in I suppose but now I think it sounds great.

The 6" tip is huge! Looks like a diesel or a ricer.

Rated R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The 6" tip is huge! Looks like a diesel or a ricer.

Yeah I neglected to see that when I ordered as well lol. I may cut the pipe before it angles out to the tire and mount the tip there.

OP
OP
M

Mace Peveler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I neglected to see that when I ordered as well lol. I may cut the pipe before it angles out to the tire and mount the tip there.

I just had a 4" put on mine. Looks much better. My muffler shop guy advised me of not exiting the exhaust under the truck. He said the exhaust from gas engines will cause corrosion. I'd never heard that before. Mine currently exits past the rear quarter, but now has the resonator deleted.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just had a 4" put on mine. Looks much better. My muffler shop guy advised me of not exiting the exhaust under the truck. He said the exhaust from gas engines will cause corrosion. I'd never heard that before. Mine currently exits past the rear quarter, but now has the resonator deleted.

And, the heat can cause issues. I saw a guy remove the resonator off his power wagon, and left the pipe where it was cut... well it melted all the wiring to his rear parking sensors!

TXTONKA

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was told be the muffler shop to eliminate the engine drone with aftermarket exhaust I'd need to install the resonator back on the truck. The truck originally had a Gibson system that was almost too loud to talk at highway speeds. I swapped it for a flow-master muffler, that helped a lot but did not eliminate the droning.

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I was told be the muffler shop to eliminate the engine drone with aftermarket exhaust I'd need to install the resonator back on the truck. The truck originally had a Gibson system that was almost too loud to talk at highway speeds. I swapped it for a flow-master muffler, that helped a lot but did not eliminate the droning.

That why the truck comes from the factory with a resonator. It's there to eliminate the drone.

TXTONKA

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How much does the tailpipe location affect the drone sound? Is there a difference between it being angled out the side or straight out the back?

OP
OP
M

Mace Peveler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is angled out the side like the stock one was. Can't speak for the ones that run straight out under the bumper.

jester139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any others that have cat backs that are drone free? I reached out to Corsa and they won't be making one for the 2020 PW.

Thx

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
If you want to eliminate drone you need a Helmholtz resonator. It's easy and you can tune it to cut the exact frequency of the annoying drone.

jester139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want to eliminate drone you need a Helmholtz resonator. It's easy and you can tune it to cut the exact frequency of the annoying drone.

Thanks. I've not heard of these and am now googling for more info