Air conditioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlnorrish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Finally got warm enough up here to really need the air conditioning. Found out its no working properly. Took it in to dealer in the city while there. They are backordered on a fix kit for a leaking plug. Went to local dealer when I got home they have same issues. The service man said they’ve done at least 50 already. Small dealership. They are only allowed two fix kits a week. Im about 7th on the list. So looks like it will be a month before it gets fixed. Anyone else having trouble ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It’s a pretty common issue. Just did one of the repairs this morning.

GeoffA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
My AC just sopped working as well. Local Dodge dealership is asking for $1600 to replace the compressor. What is this "fix kit" you are mentioning and what is the cost?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My AC just sopped working as well. Local Dodge dealership is asking for $1600 to replace the compressor. What is this "fix kit" you are mentioning and what is the cost?

The kit is an upgraded plug for the A/C accumulator which is attached the condenser.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
What years is this
issue with ??? Thanks

Ramsey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What years does this affect? I have a 2019 Ram 1500 big horn crew cab and it was in one dealer four times and another dealer once. Both say working within parameters but the vent temp won't get lower than 62° , my wife's Cherokee gets 42° and even my garage window ac gets vent temp of 42° all using the same manual analog gage. (The first thing my dealer said was your gage is broke, our fancy aim and shoot led gage shows 58° which is within spec.) If that's within spec than spec is not cold enough at the inside of the vent. Imo.) One of the times they said they evacuated and recharged it but my dash cam revealed the hood was never opened and the tech was on the other side of the shop. Is this possible? To recharge an ac system without opening the hood? Because its getting warm out and I'd like them to do it again.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What years does this affect? I have a 2019 Ram 1500 big horn crew cab and it was in one dealer four times and another dealer once. Both say working within parameters but the vent temp won't get lower than 62° , my wife's Cherokee gets 42° and even my garage window ac gets vent temp of 42° all using the same manual analog gage. (The first thing my dealer said was your gage is broke, our fancy aim and shoot led gage shows 58° which is within spec.) If that's within spec than spec is not cold enough at the inside of the vent. Imo.) One of the times they said they evacuated and recharged it but my dash cam revealed the hood was never opened and the tech was on the other side of the shop. Is this possible? To recharge an ac system without opening the hood? Because its getting warm out and I'd like them to do it again.
Never trust a dealer. They lie.find a new one this one proved they are liars. Find an independent shop,ask friends or relatives, or neighbors for recommendations. Never trust a dealer.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Impossible to do a recharge without opening the hood. Only thing I could think of is maybe they unplugged the dash cam while working on it, so you don’t have a recording.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
(The first thing my dealer said was your gage is broke, our fancy aim and shoot led gage shows 58° which is within spec.)
Those point and shoot thermometers don't read air temperature, that dealer is an idiot. Depending on the surface it was aimed at, they don't even read the temperature accurately.

Ramsey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah the video shows the tech walking back and forth in front of his toolbox. It became a whole thing. They tried to double down and show me a printout of the machine a month later. I was like who keeps a printout? You never popped the hood. The video is continuous from me driving it there. Them parking it. Restarting it and then pretending to work on it. It was shameful.

enuser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My a/c seems to works OK but when turned off I'm getting hot air blowing out of my driver side floor vent anyone have any ideas what is causing that, also before I bought my truck "used" the carfax showed it had a/c evaporator replaced.

Last edited:

Ramsey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've heard it's a mix door that they don't want to fix bc it's in the middle of the dash behind everything heater core area. I've also heard it's a leak at the charging caps. And I've heard there is a "hack" by putting a plumbing ball valve and some use a manual turn and keep it at like 80% shut and some have a switch hooked up to a servo valve and stop the heater hose from flowing in the hot months. I've also heard this problem is because a heater hose T's off and cools the differential which is why the 2wd crew cabs more common in South Florida and California don't have this problem at all.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Some folks will believe just about anything, I saw it on phacelook , the internet.must be true.