Alarm won't turn off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwsiddall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 BigHorn

Today when I got out of my truck, as I walked to the store entrance, my truck started randomly honking. Not like the alarm was going off. Just random, little short honks, like when the doors are locked. But it kept doing it. It stopped once the engine was started.

I figured it might be the fob battery so I got one and when I got home I turned the engine off, popped open the fob, removed the battery -- AND all hell broke loose! The alarm went off (horn honking, hazard lights flashing) and I put the fob battery back and tried hitting lock/unlock. It wouldn't stop. I tried starting it. It wouldn't stop. Finally, as neighbors started coming out and looking, I ran and got tools and popped the hood and disconnected the battery.

I thought after sitting a while (8 hours) it would be fine. I went out and touched the terminal to the battery and it immediately started honking again. so I unhooked it again.

How do I fix this?

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The panic button on the fob could be shorted or stuck?

OP
OP
dwsiddall

dwsiddall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
The panic button on the fob could be shorted or stuck?

So does that mean if I take the little battery out of the questionable fob, the re-hook the truck's battery, it should be fixed?

I will try that.

But as I think about it....the alarm was going off even when the battery was out of the fob.....

Last edited:

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What about the second fob? Try that. Also a low battery can cause all kinds of crazy issues. I haven't heard of that causing your issue but you never know.

Also give all the electrical connections a look especially under the seat. Maybe one for one of the control modules came loose.

Troubleshooting a problem like this can take time. These ideas are all I can think of.

chelly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So what did you do to fix it? Mine just started doing the same thing.