AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes and no. There is no way to disable all controls on every door. IE lock and unlock on the passenger will still work. But you can enable the passenger door window lock with the lock button on the drivers side. Let me see if I can find it and I’ll let you know. This only enables the passenger door and back windows lock on the drivers switch. They come from the factory with the switch on enabled to lock the back windows

Edit. Option your looking for is here

Doors Configuration:
Global Up: Set
Global Down: Set
Sun Shade: Not set
Puddle Lamp Present: Set
Rear Door pre short drop behavior: Not set
**Passenger Window Lockout: Not set**

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s a screen shot of mine. It’s under car configuration change. Section is doors
ca0b2d90947e56be8a3fdd24f8756af5.jpg

So it looks like the my 2013-2017 option I use is missing that one option. I do see it when I select my 2016-2017 (but I'm guessing that won't work on my 2014)...

Thanks for the assist though @Lawsuit11!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
Try this.
59e8fc8095f60853f23a2a8daa7a4e7c.jpg
Select the one that says it needs an adapter if you use OBD MX it will connect
633c17f7e9eb7ec3d4488e6eeec7d3c2.jpg

The adapter needs to be able to change connection to different pins on the obd connector. I don't know of any adapters cheaper than the obd MX that actually do that.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
So I finally got back around to this (passenger window lockout) now that I have an OBDLink MX but I get this error...any thoughts?05f608109b9f2bbcee94a135fd02b177.jpg

dwalk19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
Ok, I bought a new EVIC to see if upgrading from a 2013 EVIC to a 2018 EVIC would resolve my compass heading not displaying with a UAS radio installed. Ever since installing a 2019 UAS, the compass heading displays "--"

So, the same thing occurs with a 2018 EVIC as well so I'll likely be selling it. While I had it though I decided to try to change mileage and engine hours for fun. My original EVIC was programmed years ago by Dominic at TVandNavToGo so I didn't have a need.

I ran into the same problems others have seen when attempting to program mileage. It would say failed or procedure complete but none other the odometer or hour readings would change. I was using this cheap blue OBD reader...

Veepeak Mini Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII EOBD Scanner Adapter Automotive Check Engine Light Diagnostic Code Reader for Android Windows https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011NSX27A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_7wURNbPSjmOWm

It works for many things in Alfa so I thought it would work for mileage correction too. It didn't.

So I finally broke down and got the OBDLink MX. It worked the first try (although it said procedure failed the mileage changed). That being said, if you can't get mileage correction to work and you aren't using the OBDLink MX or MX+, go buy one!

So while I couldn't fix my original problem I'll at least be able to sell a cluster with corrected mileage to a buyer so not a total wash...

I sent you a message, thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Noob question here folks
I swapped to a 7 inch evic the other day and now the evic is telling me that my rear bulb is out as well as my signal bulbs.
Both rear bulbs and signal bulbs are led with resistors installed. My 3 inch cluster had no issues with the it
I have quad headlights and non led rear lights
If I use alfa to just switch the bulbs to led will that work without projector harnesses up front and additional wiring in the rear?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Noob question here folks
I swapped to a 7 inch evic the other day and now the evic is telling me that my rear bulb is out as well as my signal bulbs.
Both rear bulbs and signal bulbs are led with resistors installed. My 3 inch cluster had no issues with the it
I have quad headlights and non led rear lights
If I use alfa to just switch the bulbs to led will that work without projector harnesses up front and additional wiring in the rear?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

They 7" cluster is more "sensitive" to bulb out errors.

99% of the time you can get rid of the errors with alfaobd

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

iCanuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey there, I am new to the forum. I'm the Parts Manager at a Chrysler Dealership and we are currently working on a Hellcat Engine Swap into a 2013 Ram 1500. We also swapped the 6 speed transmission for the 8 speed transmission. Being a dealer we can program just about anything with factory software but we cannot custom change codes in any modules. The issue we are having is the BCM is configured for the the 6 spd trans and the TCM/Shifter is not communicating. We purchased a MX+ & AlfaODB to hopefully change the BCM configuration required for the 8 spd trans but I am unsure of all the codes required to be set, there is the obvious Shifter code but we are unsure of any others.

Can anyone help with what codes should be changed or if this is even a possibility?

Thanks in advance.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
at the top of the thread/op there is a list of shared bcm configurations. One of those may have some of the listed settings/features you can use by comparing them to what you have/need.

A lot of it will come down to trial and error. Similar thread for a transfer case swap that might come in handy too... BW 44-44 to BW 44-45 Swap

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
They 7" cluster is more "sensitive" to bulb out errors.

99% of the time you can get rid of the errors with alfaobd

I can confirm this. In addition, it appears a 2013 7" cluster is also far less sensitive to bulb out errors compared to a 2018 cluster ...

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Actually dont need to go there.

Connect to BCM as normal, then choose Program Customer Features

Then scroll to Sound Horn On Remote Start and choose Disabled.

If you are missing the settings in the radio an want to add them, look for "CustSetMenu 1-Sound horn with remote lock CSM" and "CustSetMenu 1-Sound horn with remote start CSM" which will enable them in the head unit so you can toggle them there if you want.

Little confused here, I added remote start a while back and never added the CSM that I recall, and don't have it in my menu. Didn't really think about it at the time as the horn didn't bother me, but now I find myself on a different shift and am leaving the house anywhere from 430-5am, so don't want to wake up the neighbors :).

So i whipped out Alfa, and when I went to enable "CustSetMenu 1-Sound horn with remote start CSM" it gave me two options - one was Feature 1-2 option, and the other was Feature 2-3 - not sure of the difference? I initially set 1-2 but didn't see a change after 24 hours, so I am trying 2-3 now.

EDIT - resolved, I was changing wrong option doh!

View attachment 195866

Last edited:

tall70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey there, I am new to the forum. I'm the Parts Manager at a Chrysler Dealership and we are currently working on a Hellcat Engine Swap into a 2013 Ram 1500. We also swapped the 6 speed transmission for the 8 speed transmission. Being a dealer we can program just about anything with factory software but we cannot custom change codes in any modules. The issue we are having is the BCM is configured for the the 6 spd trans and the TCM/Shifter is not communicating. We purchased a MX+ & AlfaODB to hopefully change the BCM configuration required for the 8 spd trans but I am unsure of all the codes required to be set, there is the obvious Shifter code but we are unsure of any others.

Can anyone help with what codes should be changed or if this is even a possibility?

Thanks in advance.

That is such exciting project, there is not many maybe no one else here who done 6 to 8 swap, so no one might have practice those codes yet, but i did see transmission type selection somewhere in list, which will hopefully do desired instruction for BCM. It does not really take too much to go through all of them, especially worth such awesome swap build you do, disable 6 speed and enable 8 speed and C.

Sorry i can't directly help better... but it makes me wonder if you can control ZF 8 with center console shifter, or if you had to change to rotary?

Richmond2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks in advance.
I have a 14 RAM HEMI with the 8 speed 4X4 fairly basic SLT
and I know there is a line for trans type and shifter "e shifter" and MAX gears = 8

basically you will have to compare mine and others to yours

Attachments

• bcm1.txt
    45 KB · Views: 23

jshatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Little confused here, I added remote start a while back and never added the CSM that I recall, and don't have it in my menu. Didn't really think about it at the time as the horn didn't bother me, but now I find myself on a different shift and am leaving the house anywhere from 430-5am, so don't want to wake up the neighbors :).

So i whipped out Alfa, and when I went to enable "CustSetMenu 1-Sound horn with remote start CSM" it gave me two options - one was Feature 1-2 option, and the other was Feature 2-3 - not sure of the difference? I initially set 1-2 but didn't see a change after 24 hours, so I am trying 2-3 now.

EDIT - or, does "Absent" mean no horn when using remote start? Or just no remote start? I assumed the latter obviously, but could be wrong.

View attachment 195866
My truck came from the factory with this feature. Mine is set to "Sound horn with remote lock customer settings menu: Feature 2 - 3 option"

edit: Actually I just realized that is for remote lock, not start. My remote start setting is "Sound horn with remote start customer settings menu: Set"

So I don't have the 1-2 or 2-3 option on remote start, only on remote lock.

Last edited:

iCanuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
at the top of the thread/op there is a list of shared bcm configurations. One of those may have some of the listed settings/features you can use by comparing them to what you have/need.

A lot of it will come down to trial and error. Similar thread for a transfer case swap that might come in handy too... BW 44-44 to BW 44-45 Swap

Thanks I saw the Tcase Swap! Got it Figured, was quite simple actually. (see below)

That is such exciting project, there is not many maybe no one else here who done 6 to 8 swap, so no one might have practice those codes yet, but i did see transmission type selection somewhere in list, which will hopefully do desired instruction for BCM. It does not really take too much to go through all of them, especially worth such awesome swap build you do, disable 6 speed and enable 8 speed and C.

Sorry i can't directly help better... but it makes me wonder if you can control ZF 8 with center console shifter, or if you had to change to rotary?

Hey thanks for the post, I have been very excited to be a huge part of this swap. Yes the 8 spd only works with the Rotary Shifter, the center shifter is easily removed and a bin put in it's place.
Got everything figured out now though! All and all the 8 Speed swap was easy to swap... what you need is the PCM with correct Tune, Rotary shifter, Trans, Mounts, 8 Spd Trans connector(or engine/trans harness), and Center Console bin. The wiring was very simple as well, I am amazed more ppl aren't swapping 8 spds. Maybe I'll write a good tut one day.

I have a 14 RAM HEMI with the 8 speed 4X4 fairly basic SLT
and I know there is a line for trans type and shifter "e shifter" and MAX gears = 8

basically you will have to compare mine and others to yours

Thanks for the file, just saved one from a used truck on the lot with an 8 Spd. And you are spot on, had to enable ESM, TCM, change Max Gears to 8, and switch the Shifter to Rotary.

Being a dealer I have access to many New/Used Rams. What I ended up doing was backing up the HellRam/RamCat BCM log then taking a 2015 1500 with 8 Spd and Saved the BCM Log file. I then compared everything using Notepad ++ and the compare plugin.... Searched for all codes regarding ESM (Electronic Shift Module aka Rotary Dial) & TCM (Tranmission Control Module) and set them to Enable. Then I found a Max Gear code of 6 and switched it to 8. Then I found the Shifter code and changed it to Rotary. Then we hooked up our dealer scantool (witech2) and the topology of the modules displayed the ESM and TCM were now alive... Since we swapped the 65RFE(6 speed) for the 8HP70(8 speed) it had to be flashed with the 8 Speed Firmware file for the correct year, drivetrain, and gear ratio (2013, 4X4, 3.55). After that everything was communicating and truck started right up and everything is operational!

I'm really impressed with AlfaODB it saved us from having to find a VIN# that came with an 8 Speed to use to flash the PCM, BCM, & RFhub. Being a dealer all we can't change option codes they are locked to the VIN# unless it is an accessory option code, which can be added. We also lost the option to program tire sizes (damn F C A) using our dealer scan tool so AlfaODB will come in handy for that!

IMG_1727.jpg IMG_1728.jpg

Last edited:

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My truck came from the factory with this feature. Mine is set to "Sound horn with remote lock customer settings menu: Feature 2 - 3 option"

edit: Actually I just realized that is for remote lock, not start. My remote start setting is "Sound horn with remote start customer settings menu: Set"

So I don't have the 1-2 or 2-3 option on remote start, only on remote lock.

Thanks, I will double check maybe I looked at lock v remote start...

EDIT - yep, was changing the wrong one. Even took screenshot of it (the wrong one) lol. I changed the correct one and it took almost right away. My Neighbors will thank you... :happy107:

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks I saw the Tcase Swap! Got it Figured, was quite simple actually. (see below)

Hey thanks for the post, I have been very excited to be a huge part of this swap. Yes the 8 spd only works with the Rotary Shifter, the center shifter is easily removed and a bin put in it's place.
Got everything figured out now though! All and all the 8 Speed swap was easy to swap... what you need is the PCM with correct Tune, Rotary shifter, Trans, Mounts, 8 Spd Trans connector(or engine/trans harness), and Center Console bin. The wiring was very simple as well, I am amazed more ppl aren't swapping 8 spds. Maybe I'll write a good tut one day.

Thanks for the file, just saved one from a used truck on the lot with an 8 Spd. And you are spot on, had to enable ESM, TCM, change Max Gears to 8, and switch the Shifter to Rotary.

Being a dealer I have access to many New/Used Rams. What I ended up doing was backing up the HellRam/RamCat BCM log then taking a 2015 1500 with 8 Spd and Saved the BCM Log file. I then compared everything using Notepad ++ and the compare plugin.... Searched for all codes regarding ESM (Electronic Shift Module aka Rotary Dial) & TCM (Tranmission Control Module) and set them to Enable. Then I found a Max Gear code of 6 and switched it to 8. Then I found the Shifter code and changed it to Rotary. Then we hooked up our dealer scantool (witech2) and the topology of the modules displayed the ESM and TCM were now alive... Since we swapped the 65RFE(6 speed) for the 8HP70(8 speed) it had to be flashed with the 8 Speed Firmware file for the correct year, drivetrain, and gear ratio (2013, 4X4, 3.55). After that everything was communicating and truck started right up and everything is operational!

I'm really impressed with AlfaODB it saved us from having to find a VIN# that came with an 8 Speed to use to flash the PCM, BCM, & RFhub. Being a dealer all we can't change option codes they are locked to the VIN# unless it is an accessory option code, which can be added. We also lost the option to program tire sizes (damn F C A) using our dealer scan tool so AlfaODB will come in handy for that!

View attachment 195891 View attachment 195892
I bet many wish their dealership were like your's is...

Last edited:

Syciu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
somehow I am able to enable the option to display the current gear number on the cluster while driving? displays only PRND.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
somehow I am able to enable the option to display the current gear number on the cluster while driving? displays only PRND.

Does nothing on our trucks

Syciu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In order to get separated brake lights and turn signals, the turn signal output wires need to be added to the BCM to drive the added turn signal bulbs. BCM connector C5/E pin 3 is for the left turn signal, and BCM connector C6/F pin 42 is for the left turn signal.

CBC I/O rear turn lamps output present needs to be changed to “set”

CBC Features combined rear lighting enabled needs to be changed to “not set”

CBC Features single element tail lamps- If you want the brake light to drop out on the side that the turn signal is being used, change this to “set”. If you want the brake light on the side that the turn signal is used to remain lit, change this setting to “not set”.

Set the LED settings for all the appropriate bulb locations that you are using LEDs.
I plugged the missing pins on 42 and 3 and changed the settings on the outputs and switched the wires from the rear lamps and I have a turn signal in the place of the rear lamp but unfortunately I still display the error of the rear indicator - no matter what bulb I insert or ordinary or led - do you need to set something else ?

Jhuss96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys I have a quick question about led lights. I got a set of hikari led bulbs that fit & work great in my truck, doesn't throw any codes. However I do notice a very slight flicker, more like a pulse on the lights. I didn't install anti flicker modules which I will end up doing if I can't get it sorted out. I do have AlfaOBD & haven't changed any settings yet, would changing low beam setting to LED on alfa stop the pulsing? Or is the change in alfa setting strictly for preventing bulb out codes from being thrown?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey guys I have a quick question about led lights. I got a set of hikari led bulbs that fit & work great in my truck, doesn't throw any codes. However I do notice a very slight flicker, more like a pulse on the lights. I didn't install anti flicker modules which I will end up doing if I can't get it sorted out. I do have AlfaOBD & haven't changed any settings yet, would changing low beam setting to LED on alfa stop the pulsing? Or is the change in alfa setting strictly for preventing bulb out codes from being thrown?
Setting HID to enabled will remove the flickering.