Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will have to read my 2016 paper manual, but online it said 75-140 for the rear.

But, shhh, don't tell anyone, I have ran 75-90 Amsoil SG and it worked fine in the rear.
I do change the rear gear oil every year or 2 max since it is so easy and cheap to do - but I tow my boat over 3000 miles at 70+ mph also, so that is why.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The 75W-90 in the manual is interesting but I would use the 140 to err on the side of caution. Amsoil's website lists 140 for my truck as well as the 2018 year trucks. This is also what I run in my Dakota with 4.10 gears and an Eaton TrueTrac.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The 75W-90 in the manual is interesting but I would use the 140 to err on the side of caution. Amsoil's website lists 140 for my truck as well as the 2018 year trucks. This is also what I run in my Dakota with 4.10 gears and an Eaton TrueTrac.

If I had a 2018 I would least ask why the spec changed, was there something different in the diff? If not, I'd have to agree, run the 140.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If I had a 2018 I would least ask why the spec changed, was there something different in the diff? If not, I'd have to agree, run the 140.

Could this be another EPA driven attempt at improving mpg by .001 % ?

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
2018 SECOND edition15c3776107e2513c0caa95703ae7e058.jpg

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The transmission and differential fluids are only to be replaced when these have needed to be repaired. With a limited slip differential a special additive is also required.

For the engine I go by the engine computer as it reflects the hours of use. Very different situations if one truck is driven for 5,000 miles on the freeway and the engine oil is in use for fewer than 80 hours as compared to another truck that is driven 5,000 miles with mostly around town trips of 30 minutes or less and the engine oil has 180 hours of use. The engine DIC accounts for the type and duration and engine temps and other factors in recommending that the oil be changed. In the first situation changing the oil at 5,000 miles would be stupid and with the second situation 5,000 miles may be just right.

Any motor oil that meets the new API standards is as good as any other oil that meets these requirements. You can pay more for a heavily advertised motor oil but for a gas engine you gain absolutely nothing. Even with a diesel engine it is the additive mix that is important and their are expensive motor oils like Amsoil that suck, and others like Redline that cost twice as much but provide no added benefit for the engine.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
lol

One thing one might ask themselves is why would FCA go to a PAO based fluid in a mechanically heated transmsion if there is no added benefit? And redline d6 can be susbtituted for about 1/2 the price of the OEM fluid and have esters along with the pao base as an additional benefit. In this case you save 100% over the OEM fluid.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
The transmission and differential fluids are only to be replaced when these have needed to be repaired. With a limited slip differential a special additive is also required.

For the engine I go by the engine computer as it reflects the hours of use. Very different situations if one truck is driven for 5,000 miles on the freeway and the engine oil is in use for fewer than 80 hours as compared to another truck that is driven 5,000 miles with mostly around town trips of 30 minutes or less and the engine oil has 180 hours of use. The engine DIC accounts for the type and duration and engine temps and other factors in recommending that the oil be changed. In the first situation changing the oil at 5,000 miles would be stupid and with the second situation 5,000 miles may be just right.

Any motor oil that meets the new API standards is as good as any other oil that meets these requirements. You can pay more for a heavily advertised motor oil but for a gas engine you gain absolutely nothing. Even with a diesel engine it is the additive mix that is important and their are expensive motor oils like Amsoil that suck, and others like Redline that cost twice as much but provide no added benefit for the engine.

you have seen and compared all oils "ingredients" that meets the new API standards? please share how Amsoil sucks?

cnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, the reason redline hasn't updated their gear fluids spec list is because there hasn't been any change in gear fluids since gl-5, so the same thing you put in a ram back when gl-5 came out, you put in a ram today, YOU WILL NOT NEED THE MODIFIER EVEN WITH LSD. You can see here they say ram through 2006 if you look up oem capatibily. you can see on oil specs gl-5 was the last spec, so no reason to update, redline is gl-5. You DONT want to use this one (75W140NS GL-5 GEAR OIL) with either the open or lsd diff, you DO want to use this one (75W140 GL-5 GEAR OIL).

On the transmision, you would want to use d6 instead of c+ for the 8 speed, or any zf fluid, ravenol also makes a clone oil for the zf.

If your transfer case calls for atf4, you use redline c+, PM hemi395, he has the info on the BW transfer case, he uses an alternative that he digs, I don't know which one it is.
So you don't need the LSD fluid from Mopar with Red Line 75W140 GL5?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You wont need the modifier, there is 75W140NS GL-5 GEAR OIL or
75W140 GL-5 GEAR OIL, the one with the modern Ram spec is the second one, the one without the "NS". Redline stopped updating their specs because gl-5 has been here for a long time, so something recomended for a 2004 gear box is the same gl-5 as today.

When in doubt look at the specs.