Another stuck roller lifter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
2018 RAM 1500, only 10k miles, first owner, no mods or tunes, just developed the well known tick today when I started it in my garage.

It went away after a ride, will test again tomorrow with a cold engine.

The tick is rather loud and comes from the passenger side head, I immediately knew that something was going on. Below a video.

My best guess is yet another stuck roller lifter. Would also love to hear from those that had this issue. Its a common issue and it sucks that Dodge didn't manage to get it fixed over the years.

Truck is obviously under warranty. Should I bring it in right away even though it may not show any misfires yet? Are dealers playing dumb and trying to send people back home? Are they going to replace the entire engine if the lobe is totally ruined? Will they agree to use the upgraded lifters from the hellcat motor?

Any other suggestions?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hard to tell but it sounds like it could Possibly be a exhaust manifold or little lifter noise with only 10k on it Yea bring it in if you said you had over 100k on it i would say it sounds normal.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man somebody has been saying they fixed the lifter problem in ~17 or something.. wish there was some kind of evidence of that. But from the sound of that clip up there it seems like more than just an exhaust tick.

OP
OP
crockett

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
Man somebody has been saying they fixed the lifter problem in ~17 or something.. wish there was some kind of evidence of that. But from the sound of that clip up there it seems like more than just an exhaust tick.

Its not a broken header screw or anything like that. It comes out of the head cover.

OP
OP
crockett

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet

This was mine. Took it to the dealer right away. It was repaired under warranty. Took a good 45 days to get the parts in.

45 ******* days?! Holy ****. I hate having to deal with dealerships.. there's always something not done right.. I don't want my truck sitting in their lot for 45 days either..

Hemi832

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It had about 145,000 miles at replacement. I thought the dealer was jacking me around, but I tried to get the parts and EVERYTHING was on back order. Had 2 lifter rollers seized and they ate into the cam.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
what oil were you guys using? with the new information it looks like additives that stick to metal after oil is gone, the group of additives called EP or extreme pressure additives, might be the only thing that can help this thing. Read up moly basics, it is perpendicular forces on these lifters that is causing this, that combined with lack of lubrication is hemi tick.

OP
OP
crockett

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
OP how often are you changing the oil and filter?

I did 2 changes so far, at 1000 after break in and after 5000. Now at almost 10k.

I used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 and a BOSCH D3334 Distance Plus filter, based on recommendations I found here on this forum.

My change plan with new vehicles is always:

etc

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
It had about 145,000 miles at replacement. I thought the dealer was jacking me around, but I tried to get the parts and EVERYTHING was on back order. Had 2 lifter rollers seized and they ate into the cam.
At 145K, you had the Mopar Lifetime warranty for the repair?

OP
OP
crockett

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
Just did a cold start, the tick is gone by 95%, but I can still hear one roller lifter being slapped slightly. My next oil change is due and I'll keep testing it for a while.

If this tick comes back one more time, I'll sell the truck. Not going to deal with yet another lemon. Maybe I'll get into contact with my lawyer, sue FCA and force them to buy it back at full price, much like I did with GM and my C7 Corvette that was eating 2 quarts of oil every 1k miles from day one.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
2018 RAM 1500, only 10k miles, first owner, no mods or tunes, just developed the well known tick today when I started it in my garage.

It went away after a ride, will test again tomorrow with a cold engine.

The tick is rather loud and comes from the passenger side head, I immediately knew that something was going on. Below a video.

My best guess is yet another stuck roller lifter. Would also love to hear from those that had this issue. Its a common issue and it sucks that Dodge didn't manage to get it fixed over the years.

Truck is obviously under warranty. Should I bring it in right away even though it may not show any misfires yet? Are dealers playing dumb and trying to send people back home? Are they going to replace the entire engine if the lobe is totally ruined? Will they agree to use the upgraded lifters from the hellcat motor?

Any other suggestions?

I apologize that you are experiencing this, @crockett. If you do work with your dealer, I am more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf for further support through that process.

Mark
RamCares

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
"I had 93K. Roller actually broke loose from exhaust lifter in cylinder 5.

In retrospect I had warning at about 63K with rough idle despite new plugs and clean intake. Asked stealership and ******** blew me off " change plugs, clean TB check your PCV" was the grease monkey's suggestion( I was still under warranty then).

So, dealer changed cam and all lifters over about 2 weeks in shop this past January. Had truck back three days when the phaser (cam gear) came loose and ate the left bank of rollers. (warranty repair faulty cam).

Got it put back together and 4 days later get a low oil flow indication for the cam. Took it back in. They replaced the oil pump (no charge), covered rental too.

Part number for lifters has changed, so someone at FCA is twiddling with the HEMI, but I'm less than 1.5 K since repair and I get a lot of tick at cold start--and its not exhaust leak.
Once it runs a while it quiets, but once its really warm the tick returns.

I've got 2 year unlimited mileage warranty on the repair, so I suspect we'll be doing this again.

vdemarco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my 2020 truck is a tiny bit louder than the 2011 Durango that i have. the 2011 Durango makes a tick at startup then a few seconds latter is absolutely quiet.

a question for you all. with my new truck 2020 rebel, i got all of the extended warranties etc. the first oil change is at 5,000 miles (included at dealer) should i just go ahead and do my own or just wait?

right now its got 400 miles, so i think everything needs to break in some more.

OP
OP
crockett

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
"I had 93K. Roller actually broke loose from exhaust lifter in cylinder 5.

In retrospect I had warning at about 63K with rough idle despite new plugs and clean intake. Asked stealership and ******** blew me off " change plugs, clean TB check your PCV" was the grease monkey's suggestion( I was still under warranty then).

So, dealer changed cam and all lifters over about 2 weeks in shop this past January. Had truck back three days when the phaser (cam gear) came loose and ate the left bank of rollers. (warranty repair faulty cam).

Got it put back together and 4 days later get a low oil flow indication for the cam. Took it back in. They replaced the oil pump (no charge), covered rental too.

Part number for lifters has changed, so someone at FCA is twiddling with the HEMI, but I'm less than 1.5 K since repair and I get a lot of tick at cold start--and its not exhaust leak.
Once it runs a while it quiets, but once its really warm the tick returns.

I've got 2 year unlimited mileage warranty on the repair, so I suspect we'll be doing this again.

Thank you for sharing! Did they ever complain about your catch can or did you take it out?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956