Another victim of BDS control arm ball joint failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAJ_Charlie

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately this happened to me Sunday. Approximately 2000 miles and zero offroad on my BDS control arms.

IMG_0799a.jpg

State trooper told me there was at least 300 feet of skid mark about 2 feet away from the guard rail...yep...I was there for that.

20210419_083025.jpg
20210419_083016.jpg
20210419_083009.jpg
20210418_212101.jpg
20210418_212021.jpg
20210418_212015.jpg
20210418_165759.jpg
20210418_165626.jpg
20210418_152146.jpg
20210418_152121.jpg

I sent all these photos to BDS. Their tech support tells me their control arms are not recommended for their 4" lift kits. Not the same thing the sales person told me when I was convinced to buy them. Bottom line I am paying out of pocket to replace the tire, cv axle, abs sensor, tie rod end, sway bar end link, and possibly a lower ball joint. Tech support was only willing to cover their parts so I'm being sent more crappy Moog "Problem Causer" ball joints.

I was told using the Fox 2.0 coilover shocks with the 4" lift and it's required spacers has not been tested by them so they wouldn't accept liability for their product failure. No Fine Print warranty my ass! He told me their 4" lift kit is based on using stock struts. I asked what's the difference since the fox shocks were set to factory height per the instructions and going back to factory struts I'd still have the same height issues and angles on the control arms. No response. The shop that did my install is just as shocked by BDS and their response. My shop recommended we raise the front an inch to decrease the angle of the control arms and go to 3 inch spacers in the rear to keep it level. After seeing how others of you out there have the 6" lift and suffered the same failure you'd think BDS would realize there's a serious problem with the ball joints they are using!

It's very aggravating that BDS won't step up for their product failure and how this could have been a far worse situation...potentially life ending! Of course my setup was going to work fine when I was convinced to make the purchase of their control arms, but now that something has seriously gone wrong they are back tracking with quickness. Say anything to make the sale...then find any reason not to honor up to collateral damage cause by a failure of their parts.

Shout out to the tow driver that got me from Gettysburg to Dillsburg where I was able to get the replacement ball joint and to the AAA tow driver that got me all the way back to WB. I was able to get the ball joint replaced Sunday night and had to order a new abs sensor from Amazon since it wasn't available locally at 1/8 the price. My shop got the new tire in this afternoon along with the replacement cv shaft so I'm setting up to bring it to them Thursday morning.

If anyone has recommendations of control arms that I can trust...please share. Worried about the passenger side ball joint just going "snap" on me at any time like this one did. No excuse for this failure with such low miles after a month.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
**** me that sucks.

Wonder if MOOG had a bad batch of ball joints

OP
OP
MAJ_Charlie

MAJ_Charlie

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One would think someone would be making a phone call to them. Not the first time I've had an issue with a Moog ball joint, but this is the first time I've had one just snap off like this!

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately this happened to me Sunday. Approximately 2000 miles and zero offroad on my BDS control arms.

IMG_0799a.jpg

State trooper told me there was at least 300 feet of skid mark about 2 feet away from the guard rail...yep...I was there for that.

20210419_083025.jpg
20210419_083016.jpg
20210419_083009.jpg
20210418_212101.jpg
20210418_212021.jpg
20210418_212015.jpg
20210418_165759.jpg
20210418_165626.jpg
20210418_152146.jpg
20210418_152121.jpg

I sent all these photos to BDS. Their tech support tells me their control arms are not recommended for their 4" lift kits. Not the same thing the sales person told me when I was convinced to buy them. Bottom line I am paying out of pocket to replace the tire, cv axle, abs sensor, tie rod end, sway bar end link, and possibly a lower ball joint. Tech support was only willing to cover their parts so I'm being sent more crappy Moog "Problem Causer" ball joints.

I was told using the Fox 2.0 coilover shocks with the 4" lift and it's required spacers has not been tested by them so they wouldn't accept liability for their product failure. No Fine Print warranty my ass! He told me their 4" lift kit is based on using stock struts. I asked what's the difference since the fox shocks were set to factory height per the instructions and going back to factory struts I'd still have the same height issues and angles on the control arms. No response. The shop that did my install is just as shocked by BDS and their response. My shop recommended we raise the front an inch to decrease the angle of the control arms and go to 3 inch spacers in the rear to keep it level. After seeing how others of you out there have the 6" lift and suffered the same failure you'd think BDS would realize there's a serious problem with the ball joints they are using!

It's very aggravating that BDS won't step up for their product failure and how this could have been a far worse situation...potentially life ending! Of course my setup was going to work fine when I was convinced to make the purchase of their control arms, but now that something has seriously gone wrong they are back tracking with quickness. Say anything to make the sale...then find any reason not to honor up to collateral damage cause by a failure of their parts.

Shout out to the tow driver that got me from Gettysburg to Dillsburg where I was able to get the replacement ball joint and to the AAA tow driver that got me all the way back to WB. I was able to get the ball joint replaced Sunday night and had to order a new abs sensor from Amazon since it wasn't available locally at 1/8 the price. My shop got the new tire in this afternoon along with the replacement cv shaft so I'm setting up to bring it to them Thursday morning.

If anyone has recommendations of control arms that I can trust...please share. Worried about the passenger side ball joint just going "snap" on me at any time like this one did. No excuse for this failure with such low miles after a month.

Dayum! I bought the BDS UCA's because of their "no fine print" warranty thinking BDS would stick by their product. I think I have about 4K on mine now and have no idea how to check them for potential failure. Sure would be nice if BDS would do a recall??? What ball joint did you get to replace that one?

OP
OP
MAJ_Charlie

MAJ_Charlie

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dayum! I bought the BDS UCA's because of their "no fine print" warranty thinking BDS would stick by their product. I think I have about 4K on mine now and have no idea how to check them for potential failure. Sure would be nice if BDS would do a recall??? What ball joint did you get to replace that one?

I ended up getting the Moog K80628 from Advance Auto. The BDS tech support informed me today that ball joint was the correct one to get despite the instructions saying to replace with Moog 500-1134. Like I said...no fine print warranty...my ass!

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been wondering about mine ever since I read the first artilce in this forum about the BDS ball joint failure and I haven't had it off-road yet. Had planned a trip last weekend but other plans took precedence. I have the 6" Coil-Over kit from BDS as well as they very specifically recommended getting the UCA's to go along with it. So, maybe I'll call them tomorrow and see if I have any options?? But I'm not going to hold my breath. Thank you for the post and I'm sorry this happend to you. I can't imagine what went through your mind when the damn wheel came loose!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Sure would be nice if BDS would do a recall???
I wonder if anyone has reported any failures to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration or similar?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Op when did you get your lift installed ? Assuming this is a new install with the BDS UCAs? From the 5th gen forums the dudes posting the exact same failure got their lifts kits in Nov-Dec 2020. Few months later boom the BJs are snapping in the same damn place it's unreal.
BDS will send you a replacement BJ and that's it. Assuming you filled their warranty BS paperwork. Dudes with failures so far have been 6" kits with Fox 2.5 Coilovers so after shelling maybe $5-6k on parts and install they're getting a BJ under warranty. Trucks are sustaining a lot more damage than just a chitty BJ. They should know by now they have a huge problem in their hands and they don't seem to be doing much about it other than giving you guys chit with what you did wrong yada yada. Very chitty way to deal with customers who believe paying more for the brand will prevent them from having issues like this.

You're the latest case but with a 4" lift.

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy hell. Talk about BS. wow. Bds must be really going down if they don’t want to cover that. Especially given the circumstance. That’s a huge safety issue there. I’m glad you’re alright though. Could have been a lot worse.

OP
OP
MAJ_Charlie

MAJ_Charlie

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Op when did you get your lift installed ? Assuming this is a new install with the BDS UCAs? From the 5th gen forums the dudes posting the exact same failure got their lifts kits in Nov-Dec 2020. Few months later boom the BJs are snapping in the same damn place it's unreal.
BDS will send you a replacement BJ and that's it. Assuming you filled their warranty BS paperwork. Dudes with failures so far have been 6" kits with Fox 2.5 Coilovers so after shelling maybe $5-6k on parts and install they're getting a BJ under warranty. Trucks are sustaining a lot more damage than just a chitty BJ. They should know by now they have a huge problem in their hands and they don't seem to be doing much about it other than giving you guys chit with what you did wrong yada yada. Very chitty way to deal with customers who believe paying more for the brand will prevent them from having issues like this.

You're the latest case but with a 4" lift.
The install was done last month! The sales person was more than happy to convince me to buy their UCAs with my setup. Of course was told I wouldn’t have any issues.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The install was done last month! The sales person was more than happy to convince me to buy their UCAs with my setup. Of course was told I wouldn’t have any issues.
I posted your pics/details in 5thgenram forum a few min ago. I think you guys should get together and ask BDS for a much better handling of this case. The pictures are speaking for themselves. The BJ's are literally snapping off same place :(
Hopefuly BDS will get to the bottom of this.
Good luck to you man.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dang. I always use Moog. I too am wondering if it was a bad batch.

PedoJoTwenty20Foh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings
What if someone was killed when you lost complete control of the vehicle at speed?

BDS designers should be ashamed of themselves. Safety factor of 2.5, I think not. Recall/lawsuit or we protest, loot, and riot...

-PJB2024

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

IMG_0799a.jpg

20210419_083025.jpg
20210419_083016.jpg
20210419_083009.jpg
20210418_212101.jpg
20210418_212021.jpg
20210418_212015.jpg
20210418_165759.jpg
20210418_165626.jpg
20210418_152146.jpg
20210418_152121.jpg

Damn man sorry for the losses on the truck. I wouldn't continue using ball joints on the UCA. I went uniball and never looked back.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
This kind of BS with warranty is happening with a lot of lift kit companies lately ... Maxtrac themselves recommended me doing what I did to my truck and while the issue is no where near to what happened to the OP they refused to warranty a pair of front coil springs for my 1500 because I have wide wheels with -44 offset yet they post all these trucks with 7"+ lift kits on their instagram page ... hey as long as your truck looks good before you have a catastrophic failure and if you do and you don't die they don't care what they sell you or what they say to you to buy their products ..

BDS is nothing but a glorified lift kit company that is simply a trend now and the quality is clearly going down the toilet ... as long as they are selling them to show quality trucks that really don't offroad with these liftkits they will be fine because there really is no stress on any of these parts to make them fail ....

Real testing is not happening with these companies, BDS, full throttle, bulletproof, mcgaughys, maxtrac they are all in it for the money simple as that ... and honestly there really is not much we can do about any of this because we are all modifying our trucks in a way that they shouldn't even be on the public roads and that is clearly stated on their sites right? Yet we are still convinced to buy their products for our daily drivers and their sales reps do everything they can behind the phones and at shows like SEMA to make us buy their products ...

One person buys the latest lift kit and suspension components, that person takes it to a show or SEMA and even though they are not meant to be used the way they have them on their trucks everyone is all excited about the new products and now they want their truck to have that same thing .... it is nothing but a trend and everyone is getting these ****** products lol ...

But hey , we still want the latest right ? .... Unless you are someone who they sponsor 100% you will never get their warranty to take care of you ....

Really sucks that this happened to OP and this could of been worse and if I was you I would seriously talk to a lawyer about this and not stop there ....enough is enough ...

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I am really sorry OP that this happened to and with you. I’m glad to see that no one was hurt but really upset that they didn’t cover all of your costs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2BD5EBF8-E600-48AB-BEB3-2AC69B171183.jpeg The JBA upper control arms are good. I have them. They make their own balljoints and I think they’re one of the best balljoints out there. A lesser quality balljoint can be bought at any auto parts store and will fit the UCA. It’s convenient, but I do not anticipate ever having a issue with them.
If you’re not a fan of the gloss red they come in, I wasn’t, you can have them powder coated at your local shop for about $40. I went with black.

https://jbaoffroad.com/jba-a-arms/ram-1500-uca.html