Any former Toyota 4x4 guys here?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Should be 1,450 for the 4th gen and 1,510 for the 5th gen. Though both are limited for performance reasons due to the lift. Structurally they'll handle as much as a non-PW 2500HD.

Yea the 1510 is for a stripped down model. I have a loaded laramie with ram boxes. My ‘17 1500 big horn ram has more payload than my power wagon.

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yea the 1510 is for a stripped down model. I have a loaded laramie with ram boxes. My ‘17 1500 big horn ram has more payload than my power wagon.

I'm not sure what option package would add to substantially reduce the 5th Gen PW payload by 400lbs? Don't know what Ram Boxes weigh, maybe 35 lbs per side additional? Sunroof probably adds another 40 lbs?

upload_2020-10-30_19-49-17.png

And just for comparison, the 2020 2500 Laramie gasser has 3,200 lbs capacity in a Crew/6'4"/4x4 config. So the PW isn't limited structurally, it's limited by suspension and height and I'm assuming this is due to DOT performance specs, though I'm not certain exactly what all is driving FCA's rating.

upload_2020-10-30_19-54-24.png

ZookaTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let's see. How far back to go? The stock 97 Grand Cherokee Orvis that my bud and I did Black Bear in in '99 without scraping? Or the '03 Ford 250 Lariat, last of the 7.3 Power Stroke 3/4 tons? Or the '01 and 1/2 three quarter ton Cummins short bed crew cab 6 speed with camper suspension? Or the two '04 Grands with the excellent Quadradrive axle setups, Limiteds? Or the '08 FJ? or the '12 FJ? Or the '18 Taco 4x4 Offroad? Or the '19 Power Wagon?
Brief synopsis. I love my FJs. They just work. Limited so far as towing by their short wheelbase and 4.0 engine. Sold the '08 to get the '12 Trail Teams Edition.
'17 Tacoma:Small inside, dated, has the soul of a used beer can. Jeep Grands (before IFS): Amazing luxury vehicles; my 97 Orvis was more comfy than my dad's '97 Mercedes S500. '01 Cummins shortbed quad cab, sport, leather, etc with 6 speed: Rode like a buckboard, hell to drive in stop and go because of the short rpm range of the Cummins and the 6 speed. Offroad was awful because of the camper package. Would have outlived me and my kids but dayumn it was a hard seat when empty and in the city; '19 Power Wagon is just incredible, so far beyond all of the above. I can disco the sways and drive up roads in the nat forest that have not been maintained in years, we are talking 12 inch deep ruts, and wife never notices. Never needed the lockers, though winter is coming; never needed them in my Trail Teams 2012 FJ either, both manufacturers have great traction control even without lockers. The FJ sits, and the PW tows; I have put 18,000 miles on it in 10 months between Texas and Wyoming, towing at least 8,000 of those miles, between 7,000 and 8,000 lbs over the Rockies. FJ verss PW is apples vs. Oranges, though I think in most situations thd PW will out -offroad the FJ Trail Teams. and it has a winch.
Biggest minus with the PW is that towing a 17 foot enclosed trailer, or the 27 foot travel trailer, it gets about 8 MPG average.
I like to think of trucks as, at best, swiss army knives for several different scenarios. Will it tow? Will it handle trails / mud /slickrock? What is it efficiency? Its reliability? Is it comfprtable or will driving it over Tincup Pass, CO leave your kidneys bleeding? Will the wife drive it? Will the kids/grandkids fit? Is it safe for all?

Your situation will affect all of these answers. Me, so far in 18,000 pretty hard miles, my only issue is that the $11 switch in the Warn winch,added by Ram's insistence, failed om the first pull, and so I have to make a warranty claim and have someone else spend thousand or so bucks to put a new winch in, as opposed to replacing the $11 part. Otherwise, a bit of lifter knock when it is not freezing outside (engine revs up a lot more in cold than on warm temps) which instantly vanishes when throttle is applied.
I've owned a lot of 4x4s, add a 1984 Suburban 6.2 diesel and a 1973 bronco to above. For the swiss army knife solution that best suits me, I want a Power Wagon and a Rubicon 2 door. There ya have it.My 2 cents worth. Figure out your own particular swiss army combo and shop accordingly.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not sure what option package would add to substantially reduce the 5th Gen PW payload by 400lbs? Don't know what Ram Boxes weigh, maybe 35 lbs per side additional? Sunroof probably adds another 40 lbs?

View attachment 226126

And just for comparison, the 2020 2500 Laramie gasser has 3,200 lbs capacity in a Crew/6'4"/4x4 config. So the PW isn't limited structurally, it's limited by suspension and height and I'm assuming this is due to DOT performance specs, though I'm not certain exactly what all is driving FCA's rating.

View attachment 226132

96B1D6D2-4B9A-47F3-B082-559C77679121.jpeg

1135 pounds is the payload on mine. Like I said, the stripped down trucks with minimal add ons would get to that number, and from there anything added would be deducted from it. Ramboxes, sunroofs, power adjustable pedals, heated/cooled seats etc all start adding to the weight of the truck. Its just a numbers game. The power wagons already have a gvwr of roughly 1500 less pounds than a non-power wagon (yes, due to the suspension, and rightfully so). Payload is simply the weight of the truck subtracted off the gvwr. When the gvwr of a power wagon is only 8510 (i think thats what mine is) and the truck is over 7000 by itself, it just doesn't leave much for payload. Pretty sure the last dodge caravan I was working out of had more payload LOL

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I guess I'm just scratching my head on what a 'stripped down' PW looks like. The configurator on the RAM page shows changes in GVWR and Payload as you change the setup. I don't disagree with either your door sticker your logic, I'm just confused by how you could equip a 2020 PW that would cause payload to change that much. If the PW were available with either a standard cab or a crew cab then I could see that crew cab weight reducing the 'best case' numbers quite a bit.

Is your number different because it's a Laramie with a PW package? Not sure how your particular truck was ordered. Or do you maybe have a large fuel tank? Payload is GVWR - Curb and Curb includes full fuel so perhaps that's part of the equation?

Still waiting for my 2021 to ship I don't have a door sticker to reference. This, though, is from a 2019. It's 148 lbs off the advertised 1510. What's even more crazy is the 2019 press kit had 1660 as the stated payload.

upload_2020-10-31_12-37-12.png

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess I'm just scratching my head on what a 'stripped down' PW looks like. The configurator on the RAM page shows changes in GVWR and Payload as you change the setup. I don't disagree with either your door sticker your logic, I'm just confused by how you could equip a 2020 PW that would cause payload to change that much. If the PW were available with either a standard cab or a crew cab then I could see that crew cab weight reducing the 'best case' numbers quite a bit.

Is your number different because it's a Laramie with a PW package? Not sure how your particular truck was ordered. Or do you maybe have a large fuel tank? Payload is GVWR - Curb and Curb includes full fuel so perhaps that's part of the equation?

Still waiting for my 2021 to ship I don't have a door sticker to reference. This, though, is from a 2019. It's 148 lbs off the advertised 1510. What's even more crazy is the 2019 press kit had 1660 as the stated payload.

View attachment 226186

My 2020 payload is 1505. It’s a level 1 equipment group only additional options are 12” Uconnect and factory bedliner.

When you step up to the level 2 equipment group and get the heavy heated and cooled leather seats and all the other add ons that come with it it cuts into your payload pretty quickly. Add a sunroof and it goes down even further.

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I admit my wagon has been a nightmare but trouble free for 15k now lol....only 29k on the clock. I dont drive it daily i drive a lexus daily....a toyota product. I plan to keep the truck because well it kicks ass off road and will be put to the test again Thursday when i leabe to.go hunting.

New pup seems to like it too

20201007_104854.jpg

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

View attachment 226186

Im guessing to get the max payload rating in a power wagon you would need to order it in the tradesman model.

danoday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think GVWR is the same and it is rated at the front and rear axles combined. Then begin to add the weight of every nut bolt and rivet. While most components are the same not all packages are as mentioned. It would not take long to have a 150# diffence just in amps, speakers and head unit, wiring harnesses in the infotainment pkg. Or winch cable steel or kevlar?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
I admit my wagon has been a nightmare but trouble free for 15k now lol....only 29k on the clock. I dont drive it daily i drive a lexus daily....a toyota product. I plan to keep the truck because well it kicks ass off road and will be put to the test again Thursday when i leabe to.go hunting.

New pup seems to like it too

View attachment 226200

Good looking pup!

Fitting you took the pic at a Conoco lol

Oilbrnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Meh, I've got a 1997 LX450 and a '16 PW with 80k on the clock. Guess which one has left me dead in the water. Twice.

Not the Waggy.

I've had one issue so far, a failed EVAP solenoid at 26k and that has been it. I wheel it hard and often with a FWC in the bed, not to mention just getting to/from my house each day here in AZ. Hence why I have a PW and an 80.

NAVY64

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all,
I've always loved the Power Wagon! Pretty rare truck to see cruising around and I'll typically crane my neck to check them out when I spot one. I've been a Toyota loyalist for the pst 25 years. Land Cruisers, Tacos, Tundras, Lexus, etc. I'm going to branch out and get a PW in the next few weeks. Curious about the reliability on these beasts. Any former Toyota guys make the switch to Dodge care to comment on the overall reliability?

Also, is the gen 5 a Huuuge difference over the gen 4? Looking at buying a slightly used one as the 2016 model is quite a bit cheaper but I'll hold out for a 2019 if it's that much better.
TIA :happy160:

After 39 years of owning Toyota's (Corolla, Pickup, Crown (When stationed in Japan) 4runners, Tacoma, Tundra) I went to the Chicago auto show and sat in a RAM 1500 Rebel and fell in love with the interior and once I test drove to confirm the rave reviews about its ride I purchased a 2020 RAM 1500 Laramie. Its only been 4,500 miles over 7 months but no complaints so far.

OP
OP
U

Upland80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After 39 years of owning Toyota's (Corolla, Pickup, Crown (When stationed in Japan) 4runners, Tacoma, Tundra) I went to the Chicago auto show and sat in a RAM 1500 Rebel and fell in love with the interior and once I test drove to confirm the rave reviews about its ride I purchased a 2020 RAM 1500 Laramie. Its only been 4,500 miles over 7 months but no complaints so far.
Yeah...it's very likely I'll pull the trigger on one in the next few weeks. I just hope the reliability is there for 150K miles or so. My last domestic was a Jeep Wrangler with the 4 cylinder. Threw a rod at 48K miles and I never owned another domestic. I have had zero shop time (other than maintenance) in the last 25 years with Toyotas. Seems like the newer Big 3 offerings are fairly dependable so I guess it's time to switch it up and see.

13RamOutdoorsman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Meh, I've got a 1997 LX450 and a '16 PW with 80k on the clock. Guess which one has left me dead in the water. Twice.

Not the Waggy.

I've had one issue so far, a failed EVAP solenoid at 26k and that has been it. I wheel it hard and often with a FWC in the bed, not to mention just getting to/from my house each day here in AZ. Hence why I have a PW and an 80.

What is an FWC? Fat White Chick...