Anyone ever have a window break from closing a door?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ixxblitzxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.7
My father just informed me that his window broke on his 2015 6.4l 2500 with only like 20k miles on it. No cracks or chips prior to this. He said the glass broke as he closed his door on his way back from his lunch break. Right now his window tint is holding the class together pretty much, anyone ever hear of this?

OP
OP
Ixxblitzxx

Ixxblitzxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.7
20161215_204209_zpspq8dcx0b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The back slider window has a rep of breaking occassionly,especially on hot days when a door is slammed shut.

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
never happened to me but i have replaced the glass due to scratches, the glass is dirt cheap $98.00 canadian at the dealer

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

joneseysr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
doesn't take much in terms of a minor chip or weak spot for glass to break. Obviously its rare, but not unheard off. I have seen a few posts about guys closing the doors and the rear window breaking, not sure if its the slider window or those who have the solid rear glass.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not in my ram but it happened to our Kodiak.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
yes, not unheard of, i would think it was caused by a defect in the mfg process.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah pretty common. Although it's usually the back window. Pretty simple concept. When you slam the door your essentially pressurizing the cab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Happened to me once in a customers car. I get in their Durango to pull it into the shop. As I closed the door the rear window shattered.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The back slider window has a rep of breaking occassionly,especially on hot days when a door is slammed shut.

I'd be pissed if that broke while my daughter is sitting in her car seat.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Happened to me in my old Dodge D-50. Got pissed and slammed the passenger with the window down slightly and shattered the glass. Not really relevant to this but, it brought back and old memory and made me chuckle. Happy Friday!

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
doesn't take much in terms of a minor chip or weak spot for glass to break. Obviously its rare, but not unheard off. I have seen a few posts about guys closing the doors and the rear window breaking, not sure if its the slider window or those who have the solid rear glass.

This. Sometimes it's just a fluke. I once cracked a side window just by swatting a mosquito with my hand. There were no cracks in it when it happened, the window just happened to have some defect that wasn't visible.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So, there is a vent in the rear of the cab that allows the air pressure to quickly equalize as the door shuts to avoid a high pressure shock wave inside when the door is shut. If it's blocked and you close the door with enough force, the air pressure can break windows, typically only one.

It's not common, but it's not uncommon, especially in a vehicle with excellent weather seals.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's tempered glass. Generally, very strong. The weakest part of tempered glass is the edges. Even a slight scratch from dirt can potentially weaken it. Then the right pressure from closing the door is enough to pop it.

This happens on all makes and models.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk