Anyone put Fox 2.0 shocks 983-02-020 (diesel) on a gas truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Anyone put Fox 2.0 coil over shocks 983-02-020 (diesel) on a gas truck? I'd assume you get more of a lift since the diesel motor weights more? How was the ride?
Thanks

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If these are a coil over set up for the CTD and you put them on a gasser it will probably ride rough as all hell. The CTD is about 1000 lbs more over the front axle compared to the gassers.
They might be something to consider if you wanted to drive around with a V-Boss snowplow on the front your truck year round.

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I responded in my build thread to you but I'll also post here.

1st off what are you hoping to accomplish? More lift.

I looked at some of your previous postings and it seems you're dissatisfied with yoir icon setup, correct?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m curious as well. What are you trying to achieve? There are a lot of great minds on this forum that may be able to figure out how to help you achieve your end goal.

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I responded in my build thread to you but I'll also post here.

1st off what are you hoping to accomplish? More lift.

I looked at some of your previous postings and it seems you're dissatisfied with yoir icon setup, correct?

Yes, correct. I was looking for a 2.5" lift like the ICONs and see Fox is only 2". I saw your post about diesel shocks and got to thinking. lol. I thought the difference was 200# maybe I misread. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Forgot one of your questions. Opps. Yes, I like the Fox ride better personally.

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I’m curious as well. What are you trying to achieve? There are a lot of great minds on this forum that may be able to figure out how to help you achieve your end goal.

I'd like to get a 2.5" lift and was hoping the diesel ones would achieve that. I see Fox gasser is only 2" lift. Was a thought and figured i'd post. I agree smart people in here. Someone would have feedback on it. =)

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The fox are adjustable. You can crank the preload higher on them. They just come preset to 2”. To much spring is bad and will cause a rough ride.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Yes, correct. I was looking for a 2.5" lift like the ICONs and see Fox is only 2". I saw your post about diesel shocks and got to thinking. lol. I thought the difference was 200# maybe I misread. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.
So as far as I've been able to find the diesel isn't much heavier. 200# sounds about right. Which is odd since the lift heights between applications are pretty significant.

Are you still running the icons on the front? If so have you considered dropping them a few turns on the preload and seeing if that gets into the valving range that rides a bit softer.

If you went with the fox 2.0s I would run them and just add a 1/4" thick shim spacer on top. They add about 1/2" of lift and shouldn't adversely affect anything. Easier than messing with preload on coilovers honestly. I bought a cheap kit from rough country to do exactly this for my 6112s since they've sagged a bit.

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yes, ICONS are still in front. The ICONs don't right stiff. That's what's odd. Their bouncy. Their only 3 months old. Maybe 2,000 miles. No offroad. So, i'd say to soft? I noticed this when I swapped the rears out.

Rough country has the 1/4" shim? That might be my ticket! Link by chance? I didn't see them.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
https://accutuneoffroad.com/oem-front-coilover-shock-setup/

These guys are a god send for info. This should help explain alot.

Personal preference and being honest with your uses is gonna gain you the best results. Icons kit is stiffer for added speed and weight offroad. Which, unloaded and on road would feel overly stiff. Contrary to that, the fox stuff loaded down and going fast offroad would be much too soft, wishy washy if you will, and likely hard to control in the rough stuff.

It's hard to compromise for both, unless you run bypass shocks which aren't even relevant in comparison. I understand your desires which is why I'm always messing with my setup.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Yes, ICONS are still in front. The ICONs don't right stiff. That's what's odd. Their bouncy. Their only 3 months old. Maybe 2,000 miles. No offroad. So, i'd say to soft? I noticed this when I swapped the rears out.

Rough country has the 1/4" shim? That might be my ticket! Link by chance? I didn't see them.
How much lift did you get from them? Sounds like they don't have enough rebound damping in them.

These are the rough country spacers. They are part of their "preload" kit. I couldn't get them separate. Unfortunately I need these specifically due to the design of the OEM struts. The center hole on these prevents the shock shaft from pushing through the mount.

Depending on which shock you run WULF suspensions makes a similar spacer for like 20$ a set. I just can't use them on my 6112s.
113a2627e8a6b30312731c1b3f0f9c8f.jpg
4a800c1d5b8f68b87b6574595b633fae.jpg
582be2f839cf09ddab7caa74d565c62f.jpg

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
https://accutuneoffroad.com/oem-front-coilover-shock-setup/

These guys are a god send for info. This should help explain alot.

Personal preference and being honest with your uses is gonna gain you the best results. Icons kit is stiffer for added speed and weight offroad. Which, unloaded and on road would feel overly stiff. Contrary to that, the fox stuff loaded down and going fast offroad would be much too soft, wishy washy if you will, and likely hard to control in the rough stuff.

It's hard to compromise for both, unless you run bypass shocks which aren't even relevant in comparison. I understand your desires which is why I'm always messing with my setup.

Its funny to see people post their all the same. Their not thus my frustrations. lol. I've ran Bilstein, to stiff more me. Eibach, they were to soft. ICON and the rears were to firm. Now Fox. I like the Fox. While their not perfect, I am done with the rear. lol. Just need to solve the front. Its just my opinion and I really dont feel there is a right or wrong on opinion of the shocks I ran, just my opinion.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What happen to your icon revalving?
You can get the Fox 2.0 version for your truck and put a little spacer on top to get 2.5" lift. But honestly if you are going to drop cash and I think given your back problems you could have been a lot happier with any of the 2.5 COs with adjusters. Maybe a little too late now unless the dove is not a concern. I'll Wait for Icon to revalve what you have and go from there. Or sell the Icons as is if you havent done anything yet and use that money to finance something new. Radflo with adjusters are calling you :)

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Its funny to see people post their all the same. Their not thus my frustrations. lol. I've ran Bilstein, to stiff more me. Eibach, they were to soft. ICON and the rears were to firm. Now Fox. I like the Fox. While their not perfect, I am done with the rear. lol. Just need to solve the front. Its just my opinion and I really dont feel there is a right or wrong on opinion of the shocks I ran, just my opinion.
They are not even close to all the same. I've run too many to list and installed and rode in even more.

Valving profiles are completely different, not even taking into account each applications spring rates etc.

I still can't seem to find out but I believe icons are linear compression and digressive rebound. Does your front end seem to "low rider" bounce a time or 2 after a big dip in the road?

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
How much lift did you get from them? Sounds like they don't have enough rebound damping in them.

These are the rough country spacers. They are part of their "preload" kit. I couldn't get them separate. Unfortunately I need these specifically due to the design of the OEM struts. The center hole on these prevents the shock shaft from pushing through the mount.

Depending on which shock you run WULF suspensions makes a similar spacer for like 20$ a set. I just can't use them on my 6112s.
113a2627e8a6b30312731c1b3f0f9c8f.jpg
4a800c1d5b8f68b87b6574595b633fae.jpg
582be2f839cf09ddab7caa74d565c62f.jpg

Found them. I'd probably run the Fox up front. ICON offered one free re-valve to firm the rebound. But, its a gamble if I just through more money at it (shipping, paying to swap coil overs at shop), or just put Fox on since I like the ride. Follow? lol.
Will the 1/2" be to much and cause the shock to extend to far. Forget the term used.
https://wulfsuspensions.com/collect...-1500-4wd-1-2-leveling-lift-kit-strut-spacers

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
What happen to your icon revalving?
You can get the Fox 2.0 version for your truck and put a little spacer on top to get 2.5" lift. But honestly if you are going to drop cash and I think given your back problems you could have been a lot happier with any of the 2.5 COs with adjusters. Maybe a little too late now unless the dove is not a concern. I'll Wait for Icon to revalve what you have and go from there. Or sell the Icons as is if you havent done anything yet and use that money to finance something new. Radflo with adjusters are calling you :)

It' still on the table. Kind of "talking it out" with you guys before I just dive into it. Here is my thoughts. Gamble on the re-valve they get it to my liking or just put Fox on the front as well. Ya, I would sell the ICONs to get something new. Good point, Radflo are progressive/Linear? I seem to like that ride better. Last night we went to dinner. Was a little drive. There was construction. Roads were bad. Well in my opinion. lol. That rear went through it like a Cadi. Nice and smooth. Very happy on my rear setup.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Found them. I'd probably run the Fox up front. ICON offered one free re-valve to firm the rebound. But, its a gamble if I just through more money at it (shipping, paying to swap coil overs at shop), or just put Fox on since I like the ride. Follow? lol.
Will the 1/2" be to much and cause the shock to extend to far. Forget the term used.
https://wulfsuspensions.com/collect...-1500-4wd-1-2-leveling-lift-kit-strut-spacers

I totally understand that! That's why I've just tolerated my 6112s until I figure out what I want to do next.

If you do decide to go with the Fox's, you can at least sell the icons and not totally eat your losses on $.

I ran 1" thick spacers on top of my 6112s for while with MINOR clearance issues on my cv shaft boots. The 1/4" spacer will 99% be a non issue.

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
They are not even close to all the same. I've run too many to list and installed and rode in even more.

Valving profiles are completely different, not even taking into account each applications spring rates etc.

I still can't seem to find out but I believe icons are linear compression and digressive rebound. Does your front end seem to "low rider" bounce a time or 2 after a big dip in the road?

I read same about ICON. Yes, that what it seems like. I notice it most on the highway/freeway.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or like Hodge said, perhaps if you lower the Icons they'll feel better for you. They come with 13" long coils and 650lbs springs though so they will have an inherently firmer ride compare to the competition longer and softer springs. Lowering them is free.

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I totally understand that! That's why I've just tolerated my 6112s until I figure out what I want to do next.

If you do decide to go with the Fox's, you can at least sell the icons and not totally eat your losses on $.

I ran 1" thick spacers on top of my 6112s for while with MINOR clearance issues on my cv shaft boots. The 1/4" spacer will 99% be a non issue.

That is the correct link? It shows 1/2" spacer. Just making sure.
You feel my frustration then. lol =)