Auto transfer case?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thinking of trading for a newer Ram to get some more features than I have now. Namely heated seats & steering wheel which would take a Big Horn package in the 5th gen. But I'm wondering how those of you with the a 5th gen like/dislike the new model transfer case with the Auto option? Do you think it's better/worse than the 4th gen 44-44 in relation to the 4wd lock not really being truly locked? Thanks.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It all depends on how you use your truck when using 4x4. For me, the auto xfer case is perfect. But I almost never take my truck off-road, and it rarely even sees dirt or gravel roads. I can leave it in 4wd auto all winter, and it does its job when needed. If I regularly took my truck off-road I'd rather not have the auto xfer case. How will you be using your truck?

OP
OP
T

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I will a mix of on-road and off-road (which will be primarily at our farm). The auto would be nice but concerned it would cause issues when I needed 4wd.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My 4th gen also had the auto txr. I never had any issues with it, but don't really "off road" it in any kind of extreme.

The only thing I really have to say about it, is that it's not very smooth. The way it works is that it's like there's a little gerbil down there in the tx case. And when it senses the rear is slipping it sends a signal to the txr room "lock transfer case" (as best it can, using the clutching system). The result is only slightly softer than if you grabbed a lever and locked it in when the rears were already slipping.

My wife's Explorer, even in "normal" mode seamlessly adds power to the front. Unless our driveway is in really bad shape she just drives up like it was summer. I don't bother with Auto in my Ram, because often, by the time it locks in I've lost enough traction that the front no longer is enough and I spin out. If conditions are the slightest bit dicey I always put it in 4-Hi before I attempt our driveway. The only time I use 4-Auto is if I'm on the road and the conditions vary from wet/dry to snowy/icy/slushy.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I will a mix of on-road and off-road (which will be primarily at our farm). The auto would be nice but concerned it would cause issues when I needed 4wd.
If I was buying a farm truck I wouldn't get the auto 4wd. I'd probably get the manual xfer case and elocker. I'm thinking a Rebel would be a good fit for what you're planning to do with it.

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Like others above have mentioned, the auto transfer works fine for me but I'm not off roading with my truck. During the winter I have it in 2 WD and can press the button for auto when needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye