Auto transmission fluid in diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scfinman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A friend told me back when they first went with low sulphur diesel to add a qt of auto tranny fluid to ea. tank. He said a cummins mechanic told him to do this. I am wondering since ram service advisor told me to add lubricant to diesel since they are not getting the recalled diesel pumps in and the lubricant will help. Has anyone tried the the transmission fluid? Would it harm the mtr any? I have heard the european diesel has more lube in it and this is what is causing the fuel pump failures in the U. S. Mtrs. T. I. A.

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I would be very weary about trying something like that until you talked to your dealer. If you are still under warranty you don't want to take a chance with something that could cancel your powertrain warranty. And, if your warranty is gone a diesel engine ain't cheap, so you would want to make sure. IMHO

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 04 Cummins manual stated No aftermarket additive required.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had not heard this in a few years, but a good friend has a diesel dually. He noticed that I had several partial quarts of atf from changing transmission fluid in various vehicles over several years. I hate to throw anything away haha.
Anyway he took all I had, about 8-9 total quarts and dumped every bit into his diesel fuel tank. He’d been doing it for years.

OP
OP
S

Scfinman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any suggestions? Looks like it will be a long time before Ram has parts to replace pump

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Any suggestions? Looks like it will be a long time before Ram has parts to replace pump
I sure as Hell would not use ATF in a 2020 CTD ,yes you could use ATF if you had a 1 & 2 & early 3rd Gen 5.9 CTD back before we had ULS diesel, most modern ATF has friction modifiers in it and its not made to be burned in modern diesel engines, it would most likely play hell with your DPF & EGR

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used Diesel Kleen Cetane Booster in MY ED, depending upon the temps either the Summer or Winter Blend, to help with Cetane Levels and lubricity. ATF in a new Diesel, well, lol, your ride. Back in the day, long ago in another universe, we used to dump ATF into carburetors to burn off and clean them out. Best dang Mosquito Spray for a neighborhood U ever saw, LOL.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
I’ve got an old 83’ Mercedes 300D Turbo- Diesel in my collection.

It is common practice, and recommended to actually do just that., and a quart of ATF to a tank once in a while. Reason was, and time has proved correctly that it would actually clean out the mechanical injectors.

Doing so on a Current era Diesel….. I’d have to get a lot more info on that before doing so. Are clogged injectors an issue still?

While we’re on it, for the same W123 Mercedes, if you ever found yourself low on gas and there’s no diesel around….. you could use regular and add a few quarts of oil to the tank. These engines will run on anything. Temps will run a bit hotter, but keep in mind of the situation your in.

There’s a reason its not uncommon to see over a million miles on these cars :waytogo:

A669A0BB-7029-4B4B-BCE7-8BCB615F74D2.jpeg7B44F61B-AFF9-42A2-81E4-A860893A0A5C.png8A78B7BF-9E41-42BA-8193-D240B71B419A.jpeg

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I am wondering since ram service advisor told me to add lubricant to diesel since they are not getting the recalled diesel pumps in and the lubricant will help. Has anyone tried the the transmission fluid?
Don't use transmission fluid in a diesel with a DPF, not even low Ash 2 cycle oil is even a good idea.
If you want to run lube in your diesel fuel:

JessJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
A friend told me back when they first went with low sulphur diesel to add a qt of auto tranny fluid to ea. tank. He said a cummins mechanic told him to do this. I am wondering since ram service advisor told me to add lubricant to diesel since they are not getting the recalled diesel pumps in and the lubricant will help. Has anyone tried the the transmission fluid? Would it harm the mtr any? I have heard the european diesel has more lube in it and this is what is causing the fuel pump failures in the U. S. Mtrs. T. I. A.
I retired from CMI four years ago. At that time the only product that was recommended was Power Service - Diesel Kleen. I add 5 ounces just before I fill up. The wrong additives or overtreatment can cause issues with intake valves and the exhaust particulate trap. Best wishes

vlamgat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Replacement pumps are appearing but not for inventory purposes. You have to register with "a" dealer that requires them getting the engine serial # and the VIN which go to RAM for assignment to the dealer's pump allocation. If you live in a low truck density area like Oregon, you are likely to get your pump is available notice much sooner than say Texas. In fact since ever RAM dealer is getting an allocation, its possible to find a dealer in the NW or NE which might have an unallocated pump in stock.

All 3 of the users of these pumps are keeping very quiet about the reasons for the failure of the new gen 4 version but the internet consensus seems unanimous that its a lubrication fail and from that comes the mix up of folk lore, historical experience and advertising hype. So far no one is claiming that their snake oil has been shown to extend the life of the V4 of the pump but some of us have been suckered into believing that adding a lubrication product at a ridiculous cost per pint, liter or oz is going to save our pump until the replacement arrives. With that said RAM's documentation at the time that the recall Y78 was issued said that the instance of failure was less than 4%. I have not hear of any stats from Ford or Chev/GMC but my company also has recalls on our 4x 2015 GMC Duramax all with 170K and their drivers have no plans to chase down replacement pumps until they are on the shelf, and nor are or have they added anything to the pump diesel or packaged oil since new.

So this sounds like a distinctly First World Problem that appeals to our need for something to worry about other than Global Hunger and World Peace!

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve got an old 83’ Mercedes 300D Turbo- Diesel in my collection.

It is common practice, and recommended to actually do just that., and a quart of ATF to a tank once in a while. Reason was, and time has proved correctly that it would actually clean out the mechanical injectors.

Doing so on a Current era Diesel….. I’d have to get a lot more info on that before doing so. Are clogged injectors an issue still?

While we’re on it, for the same W123 Mercedes, if you ever found yourself low on gas and there’s no diesel around….. you could use regular and add a few quarts of oil to the tank. These engines will run on anything. Temps will run a bit hotter, but keep in mind of the situation your in.

There’s a reason its not uncommon to see over a million miles on these cars :waytogo:

View attachment 500552View attachment 500553View attachment 500554
Looks like a Gray Market Mercedes. I rode in many a 300D Mercedes Cab or Opel in Germany. I had a 1974 Mercedes 280 SL (gas 6 cylinder/2 carb) sedan in Germany, my last car before PCS back to states. Even tho Diesel Kleen allegedly helped pump lubrication, I ran it mainly to boost cetane level in MY 2015 ED (Gen 2 ED), friggin diesel pumps in Texas at fuel pumps (not sure ref Truck Service Centers on Interstate, tho I think the same), are all biodiesel.

SOCAL: As U well know , U keep up the MX on them old Diesels, them rides run forever. Never get that type of life outta a New Diesel Now, IMHO.

Last edited:

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Looks like a Gray Market Mercedes. I rode in many a 300D Mercedes Cab or Opel in Germany. I had a 1974 Mercedes 280 SL (gas 6 cylinder/2 carb) sedan in Germany, my last car before PCS back to states. Even tho Diesel Kleen allegedly helped pump lubrication, I ran it mainly to boost cetane level in MY 2015 ED (Gen 2 ED), friggin diesel pumps in Texas at fuel pumps (not sure ref Truck Service Centers on Interstate, tho I think the same), are all biodiesel.

SOCAL: As U well know , U keep up the MX on them old Diesels, them rides run forever. Never get that type of life outta a New Diesel Now, IMHO.

That is so true. Be it quality control, pride of workmanship, and materials used. Just like Mercedes ads…. It’s just not how fast you go in the quarter mile,….. but also going beyond a quarter century :waytogo:

By far one of the most favorite cars. This one was originally delivered to Beverly Hills Mercedes in 1983. California car all it’s life.

jimspencer741

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Modern diesels don't need/require to have auto transmission fluid to be dumped into fuel tanks anymore.

I used Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost - it does not contain alcohol. I directly asked sales support from Power Service Diesel Additives. This will not "dry-out" parts in the fuel line.

Read this:
" Depending on the type of trans fluid being used, it has as little as 17% to as much as 25% chemical make up that makes it trans fluid. Most all of those chemicals will be bad for rubber fuel lines, the rubber seals in your pumps and bad for the metal contact high pressure components in the VP44 and CP3. Used engine oil is one thing as the add packages wear out leaving just oil. But many of the components of trans fluid doesnt leave the fluid and instead will get rather corrosive as they break down. Used trans fluid also will have way more wear particles blended into the fluid, both metals and frictions that engine oil wont have. Aluminum, brass, iron, steel, bronze, copper, plastics, teflon and metalized friction papers and ceramics in there. This stuff is so fine that it cant be really filtered out but instead will need to be re-refined. But its not fine enough that it wont cause damage to the pump, but instead will cause some severe scuffing. It will also bore out the injector nozzels with it being pushed thru them at such high pressure. Even on the P pump engines.

Just say no to trans fluid, ESPECIALLY used fluid!"

And

" There are also other problems associated with used ATF besides the contaminates, and that is these 'trans fix it' in the can additives that people looking for a magic fix pour into their transmissions. A lot of aromatic chemicals and seal swell chemicals are in them along with other additives that cause the chemicals to particpate sludge forming deposits. That stuff will cause sludge deposits in the tank.

Also the contaminates that do pass thru filtration, besides the abrasive effect, is most of that stuff doesnt burn. Instead it will bond to the pistons and rings, cylinder wall and combustion chamber and injector nozzels. When the engine is torn down for a rebuild, the tech is likley to say, "Oooh, look at all the pretty colors!" All of the trans clutch and band components use a bonding agent that uses high pressure and heat for the bonding agent to work. Perfect conditions for those in a combustion chamber. Nice way to permenatly bond the rings to the pistons and injector components together. Also the thrust washers and bushings are made with bi-metals and tri-metals that are bonded together using similar processes.

Transmission fluid also has a high concentration of detergents that cause ash deposits when burned. Modern day transmission fluids are either full syns using poly material (plastics, Herb knows the tech terms) or semi syns that combine polys and hydro carbon or a cracked hydro carbon base oil. These oils arent designed to be burned and dont burn very well. When they do burn, they produce a lot of soot that will blacken the engine oil quicker than diesel. An engine oil evaluation test will produce some very interesting results.

Burning trans fluid 25 years or so ago wasnt really a bad idea, before all of these new propriatory chemicals have gone into play, because the base oil was whale oil and didnt need most of the chemicals now that has to be used. It used to burn fairly clean. We used to heat our shops by burning used trans fluid in special heaters. Now when you try to burn the fluid, it clogs the injector and ruins the high pressure pumps in the heater. Deposits are a big problem in those heaters and EPA came down hard on their use because of the chemicals being emmited. Its hard to even find those heaters now, much less the use and building codes that prohibit using them. The heaters that you can find now will have a sticker on them that says, Use waste engine oil as a fuel. The use of transmission fluid will void the warranty. "

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I'm not a big additives guy. I used Power Service for cetane and lubricity in my old Ford 7.3L diesel but nothing else. Many used low ash 2-stroke oil or ATF to put a little in at fill-up but that engine had mechanical injectors, no common rail fuel system, and no emissions equipment.

With the complexity (and sensitivity) of these new diesels there's no way I'd add any 'extras' to to the tank if I had one.

Just my .02

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is so true. Be it quality control, pride of workmanship, and materials used. Just like Mercedes ads…. It’s just not how fast you go in the quarter mile,….. but also going beyond a quarter century :waytogo:

By far one of the most favorite cars. This one was originally delivered to Beverly Hills Mercedes in 1983. California car all it’s life.
Those old Mercedes like the old Military M35a2's. U could run those trucks on almost anything, even a low gas mixture, or kerosene. Could not see doing anything like that to a modern diesel.