Automatic transmission fluid and filter change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Today I joined the ranks of those who have done the drain n' fill in accordance with the ZF "green sheet". 2014 Big Horn 5.7 4X4 91K on the clock.

The exhaust crossover pipe is your enemy. It wants to burn you and gets in the way... a lot. It can be dealt with but it's still your enemy. At least on the 5.7L.

I cut off a chunk off of 10MM allen wrench (approx 3/4") long, so I could squeeze it in above the exhaust and open the drain. (after verifying that I could crack open the fill port plug.)

IMG_1834.jpg

3/4" is still somewhat of a tight fit.

I had to lift the tranny to get the pan out. I used a 4 ton bottle jack on a 6x6 block of wood. I had to shim the block with a 1x2 to induce a little tilt on the block of wood so the jack ram would catch the steel tranny mount. The 15mm mounting bolts were rusted up naturally, so penetrating oil and patience were needed to work them free. Lifted the tail end of the tranny about an inch and the pan slid out.

I replaced it with a Dorman pan. We'll see how it performs. It appears to be a well made piece. I am hopeful.

I used the recommended garden sprayer to transfer the Valvoline Maxlife into the tranny.

I got the tranny fairly level.

IMG_1831.jpg

My floor jack was nearly out of travel. I didn't have anything on hand suitable to block it up some more, so "good enough."

The two jackstands were nearly max'ed out as well. Both measured 23" to the bottom of the saddle. IMG_1833.jpg

The tires were roughly 8" off the garage floor. (Digging these Continental TerrainContact H/T's btw.)

IMG_1827.jpg

With the tranny more or less level, I was able to pump in about 3/4 qt more fluid once the tranny was level. Then I fired up the mighty Hemi and ran through the gears as the instructions state. I had no real transmission heat issues since I have the thermostat bypass installed on the rig. The tranny was 90F when I was all done. 77F ambient.

All in all, about 5 1/2 quarts of Maxlife ATF were needed to do this.

I wore a welding glove on my working hand when replacing the fill plug. Even then my arm got hot. But no burns. The glove soaked up some fluid but that's better than a burnt forearm.

Took the truck for about a 25 mile spin. It seemed to shift a bit more firmly. I was having no issues before this procedure though. I encountered no problems at all during the test drive. I'll watch for leaks the next few days.

I'll do another change in a few weeks to work out more of the old ooky fluid.

I'm calling this a success.

Last edited:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
@NETim, sounds like you did a good job.

When I serviced mine, and ran her up to operating temp, I did a 2nd check of my fluid level the next day, and she took a little more fluid. Not much, but several ounces.

Prob not an issue.

That MaxLife fluid seems like the bees knees. I sure hate like hell to drop $150 on OE fluid, esp if I am able to spring for a PPE pan when the time comes.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Out of curiousity (in event I ever spring for a ZF tranny), are you guys concluding Valvoline Maxlife ATF is the optimal trans oil for these (negating whatever magic OE oil there is)?

I've read elsewhere ZF's don't shift right with Red Line, haven't read much about Amsoil Multi Vehicle ATF.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I only have what's been posted here on this site, but don't think I've heard any negative things.

Seems like one member here has like 500k miles on his ZF using the MaxLife.

I will admit, I am a bit nervous because I think I have the best luck in the world, but all the reports seem great.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
@NETim, sounds like you did a good job.

When I serviced mine, and ran her up to operating temp, I did a 2nd check of my fluid level the next day, and she took a little more fluid. Not much, but several ounces.

Prob not an issue.

That MaxLife fluid seems like the bees knees. I sure hate like hell to drop $150 on OE fluid, esp if I am able to spring for a PPE pan when the time comes.
I wanted to put some numbers to the height the hind end of the truck needs to be lifted to get the tranny level or nearly so. All I had read previously was something to the effect that "It needs to lifted quite a bit." Now folks may have an idea of what they're looking at for lifting devices and/or jack stands.

I plan on doing another drain n' fill in the near future with no pan drop to get more good fluid in the mix.

I have read so many good reports on MaxLife in the ZF's that I just charged right on in and did it with a good deal of confidence.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Today I joined the ranks of those who have done the drain n' fill in accordance with the ZF "green sheet". 2014 Big Horn 5.7 4X4 91K on the clock.

The exhaust crossover pipe is your enemy. It wants to burn you and gets in the way... a lot. It can be dealt with but it's still your enemy. At least on the 5.7L.

I cut off a chunk off of 10MM allen wrench (approx 3/4") long, so I could squeeze it in above the exhaust and open the drain. (after verifying that I could crack open the fill port plug.)

View attachment 528247

I had to lift the tranny to get the pan out. I used a 4 ton bottle jack on a 6x6 block of wood. I had to shim the block with a 1x2 to induce a little tilt on the block of wood so the jack ram would catch the steel tranny mount. The 15mm mounting bolts were rusted up naturally, so penetrating oil and patience were needed to work them free. Lifted the tail end of the tranny about an inch and the pan slid out.

I replaced it with a Dorman pan. We'll see how it performs. It appears to be a well made piece. I am hopeful.

I used the recommended garden sprayer to transfer the Valvoline Maxlife into the tranny.

View attachment 528248

My floor jack was nearly out of travel. I didn't have anything on hand suitable to block it up some more, so "good enough."

The two jackstands were nearly max'ed out as well. Both measured 23" to the bottom of the saddle. View attachment 528249

The tires were roughly 8" off the garage floor. (Digging these Continental TerrainContact H/T's btw.)

View attachment 528250

With the tranny more or less level, I was able to pump in about 3/4 qt more fluid once the tranny was level. Then I fired up the mighty Hemi and ran through the gears as the instructions state. I had no real transmission heat issues since I have the thermostat bypass installed on the rig. The tranny was 90F when I was all done. 77F ambient.

I wore a welding glove on my working hand when replacing the fill plug. Even then my arm got hot. But no burns. The glove soaked up some fluid but that's better than a burnt forearm.

Took the truck for about a 25 mile spin. It seemed to shift a bit more firmly. I was having no issues before this procedure though. I encountered no problems at all during the test drive. I'll watch for leaks the next few days.

Lots a good info there.

I used Maxlife in mine and it's been fine.

I have a question though.
If I just want to do a drain and fill with no pan drop or even just check the fluid. It need's to be in that green sheet temp range and level?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Lots a good info there.

I used Maxlife in mine and it's been fine.

I have a question though.
If I just want to do a drain and fill with no pan drop or even just check the fluid. It need's to be in that green sheet temp range and level?
Yup. Unless you have it already in the correct range,and measure exactly what you've drained out,then you could maybe get away with-out going through the gears,and doing it properly.Odds are you'll have to jack it up to get the same amount back in though

Last edited:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Yup. Unless you have it already in the correct range,and measure exactly what you've drained out,then you could maybe get away with-out going through the gears,and doing it properly.Odds are you'll have to jack it up to get the same amount back in though

I was figuring I would have to, but thought I could skip a step.

Thanks as always buddy!!

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Out of curiousity (in event I ever spring for a ZF tranny), are you guys concluding Valvoline Maxlife ATF is the optimal trans oil for these (negating whatever magic OE oil there is)?

I've read elsewhere ZF's don't shift right with Red Line, haven't read much about Amsoil Multi Vehicle ATF.
I have Redline in my 8HP70 for about 20k miles so far, don't have any issues.

PowersOf12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had two dealerships tell me to wait until 194K on my 2012 Hemi 6-speed tranny fluid / filter change. (They said I had two filters to change). I am at 156K now and will probably wait until I see a dark spot / leak starting or around 190K. I have the lifetime warranty, so I basically follow whatever Dodge says.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have Redline in my 8HP70 for about 20k miles so far, don't have any issues.
In a stock truck that's drove easy and doesn't tow much,you might be okay with Redline,but it's not reconmended in anything that gets worked hard. Valvolene Maxlife has a far better rep then either Redline or Amzoil in the 8 speed

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
In a stock truck that's drove easy and doesn't tow much,you might be okay with Redline,but it's not reconmended in anything that gets worked hard. Valvolene Maxlife has a far better rep then either Redline or Amzoil in the 8 speed
If I were to be doing a fluid change now I would go with the Maxlife after seeing the reviews and also the price difference.

Dale Hartley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

View attachment 528247

View attachment 528248

The two jackstands were nearly max'ed out as well. Both measured 23" to the bottom of the saddle. View attachment 528249

View attachment 528250

I had mine done last week and it was way over due . Bought the Dorman Trans pan from Amazon could not find one at any local autoparts store and they all wanted $250.00 plus tax for a Dorman pan
The old OEM pan is throw away and pricey . Cost to replace the Mopar 8 speed oil was $200.00 . Had it done in a shop at $600.00 cost in all . ordered a Autotechnica Aluminum pan but it took a month to arrive so had to go with a plastic Dorman pan . OEM pan is throw away with Filter and goes to land fill

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I had mine done last week and it was way over due . Bought the Dorman Trans pan from Amazon could not find one at any local autoparts store and they all wanted $250.00 plus tax for a Dorman pan
The old OEM pan is throw away and pricey . Cost to replace the Mopar 8 speed oil was $200.00 . Had it done in a shop at $600.00 cost in all . ordered a Autotechnica Aluminum pan but it took a month to arrive so had to go with a plastic Dorman pan . OEM pan is throw away with Filter and goes to land fill
In case you haven't seen this,you might want to pre-use it,and pay close attention to the very first highlighted paragraph,the majority of shops don't level the transmission.

Attachments

• IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 12

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
I'm at 131,000 now on the original fluid. I was told the same thing that it was lifetime fill. I don't have any abnormal issues on mine.

Trying to decide if I'll ever do it or just wait till I swap to 4x4 tranny.
typically any vehicles with 150k+ miles on them DO NOT change out the AT fluid... You could cause a series of issues when placing new oil in it, unless of course you have been keeping on top of your regular changes then it's ok.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
typically any vehicles with 150k+ miles on them DO NOT change out the AT fluid... You could cause a series of issues when placing new oil in it, unless of course you have been keeping on top of your regular changes then it's ok.

What is your theory on why changing fluid causes issues?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007