Avoiding the hemi tick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
PUP 5w30 cSt is 10.3 and 5w20 operates at 8.8. So moving to 5w30 wont give you any too thick oil type symptoms, it will just give you a little more protection.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
If that was true every truck in Northern Canada would tick. We Idle for hours when its -40 for months on end.

The real solution is upping the Idle to 750-800 rpm
I'm just saying that if you can turn off your truck instead of idling, like when waiting for someone to come out of the grocery store for 30 minutes because you want a/c. It's certainly better for the engine to put your windows down and shut off the engine than it is to idle at any rpm. Little sacrifices like this add up and do help. If you must idle your truck for work or whatever than you must.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If that was true every truck in Northern Canada would tick. We Idle for hours when its -40 for months on end.

The real solution is upping the Idle to 750-800 rpm
There is a YT video of a Hemi mechanic that says the reason for the lifters wearing out / the cams getting a flat spot is excessive idling. I get why you do it, its freaking cold. Just saying. And this is newer versions of the Hemi. Mine dont have the tick (3rd Gen)

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm just saying that if you can turn off your truck instead of idling, like when waiting for someone to come out of the grocery store for 30 minutes because you want a/c. It's certainly better for the engine to put your windows down and shut off the engine than it is to idle at any rpm. Little sacrifices like this add up and do help. If you must idle your truck for work or whatever than you must.
but when its -40 you cant just shut it off if you are going to use it again soon. it takes too long to get warm again. work trucks spend all day idling. more frequent oil changes required to combat fuel dilution.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
but when its -40 you cant just shut it off if you are going to use it again soon. it takes too long to get warm again. work trucks spend all day idling. more frequent oil changes required to combat fuel dilution.
That's why I wrote what I wrote. If you need to leave it idling then do so, if you can avoid it, avoid it and gave example of leaving it idling for a/c for 30 minutes while someone is grocery shopping and you're waiting. Then I even wrote if you need to leave idling then leave it idling, and even wrote "for work". I thought I was clear. Maybe not.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That's why I wrote what I wrote. If you need to leave it idling then do so, if you can avoid it, avoid it and gave example of leaving it idling for a/c for 30 minutes while someone is grocery shopping and you're waiting. Then I even wrote if you need to leave idling then leave it idling, and even wrote "for work". I thought I was clear. Maybe not.
you just didn't mention anything about heating. i wont idle my personal truck for ac in the summer but sure will for heat in winter. and the hemi heats up fast compared to my powerstroke work truck but obviously thats a different game

i like that ford has included a high idle feature when ambient is below around -20c it ramps up the idle to around 1k until some sort of coolant and/or exhaust temp threshold is attained

aaronedmonton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There is a YT video of a Hemi mechanic that says the reason for the lifters wearing out / the cams getting a flat spot is excessive idling. I get why you do it, its freaking cold. Just saying. And this is newer versions of the Hemi. Mine dont have the tick (3rd Gen)
So this is more a Hemi issue than other engines?

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you just didn't mention anything about heating. i wont idle my personal truck for ac in the summer but sure will for heat in winter. and the hemi heats up fast compared to my powerstroke work truck but obviously thats a different game

i like that ford has included a high idle feature when ambient is below around -20c it ramps up the idle to around 1k until some sort of coolant and/or exhaust temp threshold is attained
I will and have idled in the summer for AC but it's only for about 30 min tops ever.
Not for heat. What type of work do some do to be able to sit in your truck for hours needing heat?
No way I'd live where it gets -40 lol.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So this is more a Hemi issue than other engines?
Far as I know yes. I don't keep up on any Chevy's or Ford's. Not interested in them.

Cams were known to have an issue for rollers to flatten out causing lifter to not work properly and he said most are from trucks that sit and idle a lot. Not the exact wording but that's the jist of it.

I don't know what years or if they fixed it. I just know it's after my Gen year (2007) and I don't have a tick.

This is the guy. It's one of these. May be the one that asks if it has a fatal flaw or hemi tick explained.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1T07JSEfS-BDePr1U8x6slqZT4dYXMo3

Last edited: