Axle Wrap!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abh3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
My 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4X4 has rear axle code DRL Dana 80, GVWR 8,800lbs, GAWR rear 6,084lbs. Obviously, I optioned it pretty heavy duty as I was pulling stock & equipment trailers all the time back then, including Cat D-4 and Komatsu D-31 dozers. This model has large lift blocks under four leaf springs and two 'over-ride' leafs above the main leaf springs. The stock springs are worn to the point where there is excessive axle wrap with only mild acceleration but if loaded to where the over-ride springs touch their stops this wrap disappears. None of the leafs are broken that I can see.

I added some bars (heavy pipe and heim joints) from the spring plates to a point well forward on the frame and this fixed the issue but now I've bent one up due to low clearance, there has to be a better way... Who has been here? Would new stock springs fix this and for how long (I bought this truck new and recall this wrap gradually getting worse over time), are there aftermarket springs to fix this, or do I need to just figure out a bar setup that is ABOVE the axle? The above the axle option is easy to talk about but space is surprisingly limited for a full-size truck. Maybe I killed these springs early on with all that heavy towing (probably 32k gross from time to time and a LOT of dirt/woods roads) and replacement springs might last forever now that madness is in my past...

I'd like to eliminate the axle wrap and keep the load capacity in case I do need it again. The blocks, of course, will have to stay in place as the front end is equally high though Dodge used coils with no blocks so I can't just ditch the 4-5" blocks unless I want a 'tail-dragger' but then I'd have to wear unlaced boots and my hat backwards. ;) I might consider a mild lift to replace springs front and rear and clear bigger tires but not if it turns into thousands and thousands of dollars for the rest of the stuff needed to make it actually drive properly. Any help is appreciated!

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
Have you looked into whether or not 1 ton or 2 ton springs can be installed? Seems to me you should at least be able to put 1 ton springs in it !

OP
OP
A

abh3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I've emailed spring suppliers with the build specs and general info as there are 20+ springs for these trucks, depending on how built. The shipping is a big expense so this is something to get right the first time! Haven't heard anything back from any of them yet... I just don't want to replace the stock springs if they have a bad rep for developing this problem quickly even in regular use. Maybe I need aftermarket springs with more arch to not need the huge blocks in came with, I feel like the blocks are at the heart of the wrap problem...

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
I don't claim to be an expert, but it would seem to me, you are using a 5 pound sack instead of a ten pound sack. Not enough truck for the job. I don't know how much different the 2500 is from the 3500, but I would believe it would be mostly spring load ! Thus my suggestion of looking into 1 ton springs , as long as they bolt up, might be a solution. I don't know if they can or not, curious myself.

OP
OP
A

abh3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The truck was optioned with Dana 80 rear end, basically a one-ton axle with the same capacity as a non-dually 3500 but that kind of towing is behind me. I'm hoping to find someone with similar experience with axle wrap in these heavier duty trucks. I don't want to replace what I have only to learn they ALL stock springs have this problem with a little use. Maybe the aftermarket has springs to address this, perhaps doing away with the tall lift blocks that Dodge used to get the ride height that I believe are at the root of the wrap problem...

Hwyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I don't know if this will help but I have a 1997 b3500 ram van which is a pleasure Way Rv conversion with 180k miles which runs high and heavy in the rear with axle wrap. I installed Road Master Active Suspension on it and helped immensely. i got them from Etrailer.com. They have pretty good explanations about it on you tube and etrailer. Just a thought.

Attachments

• Active Suspension.jpg
    Active Suspension.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 2

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check your truck shops for location of a spring shop and they can make you what you need