Ball joint replacement help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lkw88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all. I have a question about some front end work I'm needing done on my truck. I have a dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Hemi with a 6 inch lift. I took the truck to get an alignment done and the place told me they couldn't do the alignment because I have some parts on the front end that need to be replaced. The parts were: lower ball joints, upper camber kit, and one outer tie rod end. Well I didn't have them to replace the parts because they were gonna charge me a ridiculous amount to do it and I wanted to do some research on it first. So my question is, would any of these parts be special aftermarket parts because of the 6 inch lift or would they just be stock parts? Thanks in advance for your answer.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Although I don't have any special non-consumer experience with a 1500, I've moved to moog BJ's for my 3500 and they seem to be holding well. Dodge/Rams are notorious for chewing up BJ's. Consider it the wear-part it is and budget to change them out ever so often.

OP
OP
Lkw88

Lkw88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you think I would need a different size ball joints or would stock size work?

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I have stuck with the original size.. I'm not sure what the benefit/issues are going bigger. The main benefit to going non-oem is the fact they are greesable versus sealed. If your oil change place does there job and greases them they should last a good long time.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Now that being said I had forgotten that since installing my moogs, about a year ago the dealer found 3 of them dry and worn. They installed a new version of their ball joint that apparently lasts longer and is sealed.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just finished my 05 1500. I did the upper/lower/tie rod ends and sway bar bushings. All moog greasable. it was fairly easy as a DIY. I am pretty sure lifted is the same as stock but not 100%. All you need is the press for the lower and a pickle fork to split the top. The press you can borrow from the parts store. I got mine from advance auto.

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
I did my 04 1500 and installed a lift kit. I used factory replacement moog upper control arms, moog lower balljoints, moog lower control arm bushings and moog outer tierods. Havent had a problem since. Moog is supposed to be the best company who makes them. And in all honesty, for what they are they arent badly priced! I think in total was like 34p0 for all the replacement parts

All factory replacement part #s