Battery took a dump on me.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
YUP, 1 Minute OK, next Kaboom, sucker dead. Why when I travel I carry a jump starter, both in Truck and MC if I travel far, the old Boy Scout Motto there.

If battery is dead, how does jump start get you anywhere? Battery won't hold charge so will kill ECM again after charger removed?

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
YUP, 1 Minute OK, next Kaboom, sucker dead. Why when I travel I carry a jump starter, both in Truck and MC if I travel far, the old Boy Scout Motto there.

View attachment 475746
good luck with that jump pack. I carried one because people always ask the popo for a jump start and we were not allowed to jump off our cars due to liability issues i guess. Anyway I found those worked about 1/2 the time. Did not matter which vehicle ie sometimes it would start a truck and other times it would fail to jump a civic..NOCO makes a much better one but much more expensive.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The batteries in my '05 CTD lasted 5 or 6 years. My '15 gasser 2.5 years, and yesterday I had to put batteries in my '19 CTD at a couple months past 2 years old. Two of my friends with late model 1500s had batteries fail at 2.5 years, as well, so I'd say they have changed vendors, and/or cheapened up.

I went with AGM East-Penn batts, made in USA. They always give me good service.

Johnson Controls been going downhill for a long time. This is what happens when you're successful - you eventually retire and sell out to Vulture Capitalists, who destroy the company to line their pockets. JCI moved battery production from Milwaukee to Mexico some decades ago, with concomitant quality loss. You can read about that elsewhere, here is where the sold off the entire business ---> https://www.jsonline.com/story/mone...-battery-business-now-new-company/3638011002/

JCI made all sorts of brands, Interstate, etc. These buyouts pi$$ed off dedicated folks who went on to start Odyssey, and then X2, all made in USA. East Penn made in USA makes Duracell & Deka, also Fleet Farm RoadRunner, but I've had those fail early.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
X2 power from batteryplus is a great battery and every town about has a batteryplus and they stock them and if your battery dies 1 day short of 5 years they replace it and it is not prorated like most companies replace 100% free of charge.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Intelligent Battery Sensor is right on the negative battery terminal. It feeds information to the ECM about the battery charge, temperature, etc for controlling the charging of the battery.
Not sure if you can read the information or what it would look like.
I was wondering what that long, rectangular shaped black thing was on the negative clamp that had a wiring harness going to it.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2020 power wagon’s battery lasted under 1 year and 9000 miles and died. It was replaced under warranty.
Dang. I guess I coulda used my Mopar MVP but just to save a hundred bucks, I would’ve had to take the truck in Monday morning and lose money from work just to have them replace it. Not to mention, probably end up with the same junk battery. Hopefully my Oreilly’s Super Start Extreme works out better.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Johnson Controls been going downhill for a long time. This is what happens when you're successful - you eventually retire and sell out to Vulture Capitalists, who destroy the company to line their pockets. JCI moved battery production from Milwaukee to Mexico some decades ago, with concomitant quality loss. You can read about that elsewhere, here is where the sold off the entire business ---> https://www.jsonline.com/story/mone...-battery-business-now-new-company/3638011002/

JCI made all sorts of brands, Interstate, etc. These buyouts pi$$ed off dedicated folks who went on to start Odyssey, and then X2, all made in USA. East Penn made in USA makes Duracell & Deka, also Fleet Farm RoadRunner, but I've had those fail early.
So who makes Oreillys batteries? All j can find is an article from 2009 saying that Johnson Controls makes them. Is that still the case?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Install a NOCO genius ;) . These things are lifesavers up here when its -50

View attachment 475747
Nice. Never seen that, even though I spent 4 years in NE NY with temps -10 to -30 and lower in winter. My Olds always turned over and started, though there were times crossed fingers. BUT they also IMHO do not make batteries like they used to, or is it my BOIRD perception? lol.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
good luck with that jump pack. I carried one because people always ask the popo for a jump start and we were not allowed to jump off our cars due to liability issues i guess. Anyway I found those worked about 1/2 the time. Did not matter which vehicle ie sometimes it would start a truck and other times it would fail to jump a civic..NOCO makes a much better one but much more expensive.
NOCO fine if U got access to AC, lol. Yup, I carried a monster battery box that was supplied by "county". That friggin monster worked once in a while. I found my DB reliable, but ne thing can fail. I just make sure charged up before take trip.

I checked AutoZone here: Duralast Gold are $180.00 // Duralast Platinum are $200.00 // Optima: $319.00

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I usually always have jumper cables with me, but I gotta get me something like that.
I have a set of cables also under the back seat. Also carry a Breaker Bar with a 22 MM 12 Point deep well socket for Lug Nuts.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Johnson Controls been going downhill for a long time. This is what happens when you're successful - you eventually retire and sell out to Vulture Capitalists, who destroy the company to line their pockets. JCI moved battery production from Milwaukee to Mexico some decades ago, with concomitant quality loss. You can read about that elsewhere, here is where the sold off the entire business ---> https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/business/2019/05/01/johnson-controls-autootive-battery-business-now-new-company/3638011002/

Agreed. They also took Optima down the drain with them IIRC. When I was a Deere dealer their batteries were Exide. In the powersports biz I sold primarily Deka, and had excellent luck, with an extremely low warranty rate.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agreed. They also took Optima down the drain with them IIRC. When I was a Deere dealer their batteries were Exide. In the powersports biz I sold primarily Deka, and had excellent luck, with an extremely low warranty rate.
AutoZone carries the Duralast Batteries which are not bad. Unfortunately, both JCI and East Penn makes them for AutoZone. I would get a East Penn over JCI ne day of the week. Unknown if U can find out which manufactured which when buying, LOL. Whatever U do, I say go AGM, but again OP do what works for you. I put an AGM in my Honda Goldwing, to get away from (lead acid) better made battery.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Fyi @turkeybird56 - AGM is also lead acid. The acid is not in a flooded water bath, but absorbed in fiberglass mats. Best not to use lead acid term unless talking about lithium ion, which some are starting to make.
I predict lithium won't come to engine starters en masse cause they're gonna need it for all the electric motor vehicles they're making 1st.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fyi @turkeybird56 - AGM is also lead acid. The acid is not in a flooded water bath, but absorbed in fiberglass mats. Best not to use lead acid term unless talking about lithium ion, which some are starting to make.
I predict lithium won't come to engine starters en masse cause they're gonna need it for all the electric motor vehicles they're making 1st.
YEAH I thought bout it after typed, not changed yet, LMAO, was IM friend in SC who just moved and is unpacking busting his backside, LOL. He is way too far away for me to help. Not see lithium coming yet either. I personally, have no use for EV, but I see it being what comes out en masse until maybe hydrogen is perfected. But I figure I be long gone by then. BOIRD be roosting a VET internment place then here at Homestead, LOL.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
NOCO fine if U got access to AC, lol. Yup, I carried a monster battery box that was supplied by "county". That friggin monster worked once in a while. I found my DB reliable, but ne thing can fail. I just make sure charged up before take trip.

I checked AutoZone here: Duralast Gold are $180.00 // Duralast Platinum are $200.00 // Optima: $319.00
not sure what you mean on the AC...

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AC, alternating current, ie., electricity. LOL :Big Laugh:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice. Never seen that, even though I spent 4 years in NE NY with temps -10 to -30 and lower in winter.
I wired it so when I plug my Block heater in it charges at the same time. :)

The local parts store carries The Canada Proof Batteries, 5 year straight exchange no questions asked.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wired it so when I plug my Block heater in it charges at the same time. :)

The local parts store carries The Canada Proof Batteries, 5 year straight exchange no questions asked.
That sounds like a dang good deal to me.