Best AT tires for everyday use and snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRitz187

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Noone mentioned Toyo RTs? I'm on my second set of 35s on my 2016, got ~75K miles on the last set and looking about the same for the current. They are quiet, balance well and look aggressive and actually have different sidewall patterns for a bit of choice in aesthetics. No issues in snow or rain, not cheap but have been a great tire for quiet aggressive look with mostly highway driving.

frag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi v8
i upgraded from the **** hole stock Goodyears a year or two ago. I went with the nitto ridge grapplers, and not much to complain about. I’ve been looking to replace two of mine that a wheel bearing, and alignment have worn out the outside. Im starting to think that maybe falken wildpeak at3w, general grabber atx, or maybe the cooper at3 4s maybe a better option overall. I don’t tow much if at all, only off-road I do is back roads for camping and fishing so basically just dirt roads and rock. The one thing I do want is good traction in the snow. I live in the Adirondacks and we can get up to 32” in a snow storm. I don’t know if it’s worth switching over 4 all new tires or just saying ehh and grab two new ridge grapplers for the two that are worn down on the outside.
I've been running the Falken Wild Peaks for a couple years now. No problems. Good mileage. Good in snow and fairly quiet on dry pavement.

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I replaced the GY originals with Kuhmo HT’s which are one of the few highway tread tires with the 3PMSF. I’m looking at replacing those with an AT tire and am curious about Milestar Patagonia’s - AT/R and XT. I have the 20” wheels and I see the AT/R for $143 on Walmart and the XT for $185. Anybody have any experience with these?

Also, I had BFG KO’s on a 2004 Renger. They had great traction in all types of weather and were relatively quiet. I ended up replacing them with P rated Kuhmo AT tires and I noticed a huge improvement in ride, braking and handling due to the much lighter tire. Just something to think about with LT tires.

rcallen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do not know much about AT tires as I have dedicated snow tires for the winter.

I am interested in the Kumho HT 51 tire for the summer

How did you like yours?
Any info or recommendation appreciated

Thanks

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I do not know much about AT tires as I have dedicated snow tires for the winter.

I am interested in the Kumho HT 51 tire for the summer

How did you like yours?
Any info or recommendation appreciated

Thanks
Excellent. Good wet and snow traction plus they are very smooth and quiet on the highway. I highly recommend them.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
MasterCraft CXT are good and made in USA by an American company..

Cooper/Goodyear.

OP, just remember, whatever you get, tires with larger tread blocks and not a lot of sipes are typically not so good in the winter, on lightly snowy roads, or hard pack snow. Esp once they begin to wear down and the edges get rounded. Dedicated snow tires have many smaller tread blocks and a lot of sipes which *usually* go all the way down. So look for a tire somewhere in between but closer to the snow-style tires...if you're looking for good winter tread.

OTOH, tires with large tread-blocks have other advantages on dry roads/mud/rocks, etc. Something to keep in mind.

rcallen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks jmc921

I will be going with the Kumhos come spring

The Good years are getting thin on tread, especially the right rear

GeoffG68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can I disagree with the KO2 fans? I'm in SE Michigan; we get about 40" of snow a year, mostly 1-3 inches at a time. I put about 7000 miles per year on my 2011 Ram 5.7L/4x4/3.92s. The KO2s are acceptable in the snow when they're brand new. When they've got about 10K miles on them, they're starting to lose their edge. I have had to replace two sets at 20K miles because they were worn down to 4/32". Note these are the Load Range E tires (I haul scrap metal a couple thousand miles a year and the truck is heavily loaded when I do. "Empty" it's close to 6K pounds.) I'm using the 275/70R17 sized tires.

IMO, 20K miles on a $1200+ set of truck tires is lousy mileage. Yes, it does take me nearly 3 years to put that many on, and perhaps there's something else going on besides just the miles -- maybe sunlight is doing a number on the rubber? The truck gets regular maintenance including alignments.

This most recent go-around in July I purchased some Toyo Open Country AT tires in the same size. They've got a couple thousand miles on them now. I guess we'll see. The price was close to the same as the KO2s; I'd be happy if I got 40K miles out of them.