Best Synthetic Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
boyko59

boyko59

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Sport Night Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I told you I have no off button when it comes to lubrication, the Mods will have to shut me down:)

Hahaha, That is why I told them to talk to you! A great help, thank you!

Diminus

Reaction score
Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so group 4 or 5 would be amzoil or something, i read earlyier the penzoil ultra is also a good group 3 oil. hmm someone should post the link for the oil charts, im sure a lot of ram owners would benefit from it, this guy knows his oil haha. i wonder can you get charts for 2 stroke oil aswell, i know gas station 2 stroke oil up here runs out like cold molasses outside, so i always keep my girlfriends and my snowmobile in our heated shed, i have a 4 stroke nytro and i always ran yamalube in it but the girlfriends i switched to ipone strawberry scent synthetic

Diminus

Reaction score
Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i turned her oil pump up a smidgin on her 2 stroke so she smokes a little tiny bit more but the smoke gives her headaches so the low smoke strawberry scent is a plesant medium for her haha a lot of 2 strokes up her blow up but from my experience there left outside all the time in the cold and not properly warmed up,

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2 stroke snowmobiles are a tricky toy to play with. seemed like if you looked at them wrong they blew up lol.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
someone should post the link for the oil charts,

This is a real interesting point, however all the oil charts are fragmented pieces of information. You have VOA's and UOA's that have general information, then individual testing that shows certain aspects like NOACK, or how much an oil will evap at a certain temp. All of the tests are useful, but they are only guides because the real true test is what an engine looks like when it is broken down after using an oil for 100k plus miles. And as big as oil choice is keeping the PCV in working order or no matter what oil you have your engine will suffer.

Charts are helpful but in the end it is all theory and common sense as opposed to good solid facts. Anyone who tells you different is trying to sell you something. The fact is most vehicles can do fine with just about any shelf oil. However, most vehicles don't have the lifters we have and are not forced to use such a thin oil in a v8. The real question we should be asking is, "why did Dodge choose 5w20?". I think they know they have major lifter issues using a thick oil, or one other possible answer is to bow down to CAFE standards and to get the best possible gas mileage, or a combo of both.

Anyhow, we as hemi drivers have to use common sense in oil choice because the data on massive tear downs on massive vehicles at high miles and brand religious consumers does not exist anywhere. You can find one guy who ran x miles on x oil and the tear down looked great, but that isn't a body of knowledge that helps us a lot. There is a body of knowledge out there on bases of oil and they are not tests that we commonly think but rather generalities. Generally group 3 is better then group 2, generally group 4/5 are better then group 3. The evidence is over whelming about these generalities, but oil grouping does not show up on any test.

You have to take the word of the manufacturer that they are group 4 or 5, or even 3 and you have to except that the higher the grouping the better the oil, and if you cannot accept that then you should just buy the cheapest thing on the shelf because currently there is no test that will show you different.

PAtoOH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was considering Amsoil, but didn't want to have to have to worry about ordering. Went into the local Advance Auto tonight to make a decision on Valvoline Synpower or Pennzoil Platinum. I have run the Valvoline in my prior Grand Cherokees (one HEMI, one six). I found out that they actually just started stocking Amsoil regular, XL, and Signature. I don't think it's a company wide thing, I just lucked out locally. They didn't have Amsoil filters, but said they can order one for my next change. Walked out with Amsoil XL and a Mobil1 filter.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That is awesome, Amsoil is great stuff! Head and Shoulders above group 3 stuff that usually is available. There are so few true group 4/5 oils out there that when ever you can find them locally you would be crazy not to run it if you have a Hemi.

Both Amsoil and Redline have dealer locators to get it locally, it isn't that hard and your truck needs this stuff.

Redline Dealer Locator

Amsoil Dealer Locator

PAtoOH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Burla, thanks for the locator info. Worried that if they don't sell enough they'll stop carrying it. Great to have a backup.

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Funny...I just was in my local Car Quest, and they sell redline oil....maybe I should give it a try.

do yall know if your guy's car quest sells redline in your area?

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just called for info yesterday afternoon and im gonna get an UOA and post it up here for you guys! Ive been lurking the bob is the oil guy forums recently in prep for my next oil change but i also want to know if my synpower is doing well :p
I think, if the valvoline is not on sale when i go ill pick up the penzoil platinum the VOA is really nice!
But damn, now i see some place a lil farther sells redline, i should price it up :p

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Interesting test, Penzoil Ultra comes out on top and I have said I believe that to be the best group 3 you can find. Royal Purple got hammered, ouch. Anyhow, it is always good to see tests but again it would be one fraction of information that is out there. Here is a list of random results from lubrication freaks use in their cars. Clearly they all aren't driving hemi's so they don't have the same things to think about as we do, but synthetics rule the list of what oil guys run in their cars. Pennzoil wins in a landslide, top tier group 4 and 5 are near the bottom. Anyhow, there are the facts of what 1300 or so random guys used to chnage their oil, I left out 2 or less as insignificant. First number is how many guys used that oil, and second number is percentage of guys that used that oil as the group.

So 346 guys used Pennzoil and that is 25% of the group.

Pennzoil 346 25.40%
Mobil 1 263 19.30%
Vavoline 169 12.40%
Castrol 131 9.60%
QS 97 7.10%
Motorcraft 68 5.00%
Rotella 41 3.00%
super tech 31 2.20%
Amsoil 30 2.20%
chevron 26 1.90%
havoline 18 1.30%
Napa 18 1.30%
Royal Purple 15 1.10%
Schaeffers 14 1.00%
Toyota 14 1.00%
redline 10 0.70%
petro canada 10 0.70%
o'Rielly 7 0.50%
peak 7 0.50%
kendall 7 0.50%
motomaster 6 0.40%
trop artic 4 0.30%
Motul 4 0.30%
Honda 3 0.20%

Last edited:

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
extended drains??

I am actually going to switch to amsoil here shortly to run extended drains, but you will get at least 3 or 4 different answers to what people like to run. Burla (a member here) has some great oil knowledge if you need to know what to look for.

Unless you plan on doing oil testing why are you extending drains....Just cause its synthetic it doesnt make any difference if there is an issue and you dont know about it..

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
oil

IMO, unless you're running in a very harsh environment and really pushing the engine, you're probably wasting your money by using synthetic and still changing it at 5,000 miles.

In reality you NEVER have to change your oils unless there is an issue of sorts..If you do oil testing and its ok you could run oil for the life of the engine..The odd time you may have to drail a cpl liters(quarts)and add fresh to refresh the oils additive package..

I know of truckers that have over 100,000 miles on their oil cause they do oil testing and have a oil bi pass filter system on it..Now i know its not really enomical to add a oil bipass system but its the testing that tells you whats up with the engine.
http://polarislabs.com/test-list.php

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Never said I wasn't going to do testing. I just know the conditions that I drive in and my wife drives in and it would be a better fit to run a synthetic oil and push oil changes out to 7500 miles instead of 3000.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ultra is one of the great group 3's, and yeah that's it. I know Amazon has it for 5 dollars a qrt shipped free, but you can only buy 6 so does us no good. Ultra is harder to find because Pennzoil is putting all their chips in the platinum basket because it is cheaper to make and carries a cheaper price tag, more palatable to the mainstream. I would stock up on that Ultra if you want maybe the best group 3 oil out there.