Best Synthetic Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
biggest killer of oil is the gasses that build up in the oil cause corrision n such when the trucks engine doesnt completely warm up..Like if you start a cold engine and idle for 5 -10 min and drive 2 miles to the store n shut it off...Then restart for the drive home..
I warm my trk for a cpl min and do a 20 min spin then go to the store..

lizardking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 6.7 "The real deal"
Mobil 1 is my choice

Doc221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I remember reading Royal Purple had the highest Moly content, but they were changing the formula...did this happen and what brands have the highest Moly content now? I know you can add Moly seperately.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I remember reading Royal Purple had the highest Moly content, but they were changing the formula...did this happen and what brands have the highest Moly content now? I know you can add Moly seperately.

I'm not sure if this was already addressed in this thread or not, so i will answer for ya. Redline has the highest Moly at around 900ppm, and RP was around 185 until the unfortunately removed it. When I found out about this I doubled checked with PQIA and RP did remove Moly from their oil. Here is a list of oils and you can scroll down to see Moly levels in each oil. Schaeffers oil are also high Moly oils, somewhere around RP old levels and 300ppm. Also, most Moly additives are not soluble or organic Moly, but the oil used in engine oils is soluble. So when you add a "powdered" Moly substitute, you will not get the same function and I'm not even sure it will pass through your oil filters. I would encourage you to do your own research before adding a Moly substitute.

So the real question becomes does 880ppm Moly work "better" then 200ppm or the average of 50ppm like what is in most group 3 oils. I couldn't answer that question, I can tell you I run 880ppm Moly and it is perfect for my Truck, but I never ran all the other oils in my new truck so I can't tell you how they run.

"What is the perfect Moly level and can you overdose on Moly"? Again don't know for sure but what we are talking about is 50/1,000,000 versus 880/1,000,000 so I highly doubt there is any chance of having a negative effect for too much Moly at these levels. I'm sure you can over dose on Moly in suspension but with organic Moly I would bet you can run thousands of PPM and never have anything but good results.

Doc221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That's the answer I was looking for. So Redline would be a good choice for synthetic with a high moly content to change over to on my next oil change?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That is what I use in my Hemi, specifically because of Moly content and a group 5 base that doesn't loose viscosity at operating temps (really important because we have to use such a thin oil already). Amsoil SS is the closest second alternative.

My wife's car gets the old RP, Mobil One, Quaker state synthetic until I run out of stock. Then I will run Ultra in hers if it is still available or platinum if it isn't.

Doc221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That is what I use in my Hemi, specifically because of Moly content and a group 5 base that doesn't loose viscosity at operating temps (really important because we have to use such a thin oil already). Amsoil SS is the closest second alternative.

My wife's car gets the old RP, Mobil One, Quaker state synthetic until I run out of stock. Then I will run Ultra in hers if it is still available or platinum if it isn't.

Thanks!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm still kicking that around right now, I have a filter I got for free, but it wont outlast my oil so I'm going to have to change it pretty soon. I think you should use synthetic media filters, they do not break down like paper filters do. Paper filters use a bonding agent to keep the paper together and synthetic use a mesh screen to hold the fibers together. I believe I'm going with Royal Purple filters and if I like them I will stick with them. I really like the way Royal Purple Filters are made, check out the youtube video on it. If you have a hard time finding it let me know and I will google it for ya.

It is going to be a long time before I can test what I am doing but I plan on doing oil tests to see if the oil is still protecting my truck on long change intervals. There are a lot of good filters out there but I would look at synthetic fiber only if you plan on going a long time between changes. If you do go with redline oil, I wouldn't even think about changing my oil before 10k miles, it would be a waste. I can't tell you how long you can go on that oil, but I will be able to someday when I run Analysis's on them over time. Maybe sometime next year or year after that I will be able to say personally if Redline is an over 25k mile oil. Whatever the results are I will post them up when I run them.

Doc221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have heard good things about RP filters too. Thanks again.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tow 8000+ pounds with my 2013 2500 Hemi. At 2000 miles, I changed to Royal Purple 5w20 as it is supposed to be a superior oil (at least according to price). Then, I read the owners manual and it says to use 5w30 if the gross vehicle weight is 14,000 pounds or more - which my rig is.
So, I emailed Chrysler and asked them what's up?! They said I should use 5w30 all the time, as my Hemi does NOT have the MDS cylinder shutdown system.
I started doing some research, and I think next chance I will be going to a 0w30, as these oils tend to have better base stocks and more stability, from what I have found... 0w30 is supposed to be a direct replacement for the 5w30....
Now, what brand? Royal Purple, Amsoil, or ???????

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You might want 0w30 but for an entirely different reason. 5w30 is the most popular oil right now, everyone is moving away from 10w30 to this oil. But you being in Southern Illinois probably see some weather from time to time, so the 0 in 0w30 is better for you then the 5 in 5w30. The first number is an oils ability to pour in the cold, so the lower the number the better it is in the cold weather. As for what oil you should use, try reading this thread again and choose of that. A lot of good info here and there are a lot of good choices. If I was towing heavy stuff, I would want Amsoil or Redline personally, they dissipate heat better then group 3 oils. Some people argue that added polymers make group 3 oils just as good, but they attempt to do what group 4 and 5 oils do naturally.

Last edited: