Best Synthetic Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've read that the synthetic oils do last longer than the conventional oils (which i changed every 2,500 - 3,500 miles), but I don't always want to trust them and risk ruining the motor over trying to squeeze an extra thousand or two miles out of the oil. For the price and frequency that it needs changed, I couldn't see worrying about it. What is your mileage suggestion?

I used to work in a shop that did oil changes and other preventative maintenance. This was over 10 years ago though. Back then the standard was 3,000 for standard oil and they say double that for synthetic. So I have always run 6,000 miles with synthetic. Now in the last decade the standard has become around 5,000 miles with standard oil. I honestly don't know what changed to bring about this change. So I stick with my 6,000 mile oil changes with fully synthetic Mobile 1. Though I have been known to let it hit around 7,000 on occasion. The oil is dirty but has never looked burnt for me.

As to the comments about dry starting do to lack of oil coverage from a 5W20 oil that is insane in my opinion. But do not run anything heavier. The dry start issue is what has me thinking about an additive. They're supposed to bond to parts longer which would prevent most dry starts.

I will say one more thing about my case. My Ram does not have the Hemi tick, at least not yet at 47,000 miles. Don't know if it has anything to do with synthetic or not. Hopefully some of this will help.

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This has been discussed on many forums and the conclusion is: It's all good!!!!!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hey Cruizer if it aint broke don't fix it. Your Mobil One already has the additive you need. The Moly engine oils use is better then the ones you find in the additive market. It is organic Moly and is soluble which makes it 100 times better then unsoluble moly you find in additives.

FL BOY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That was very helpful, thanks! I definitely did not know most of that and it is always great to learn things that will better you and those around you in the long run. Due to the area that I live in, I do not know that I will have access to the Redline, Amsoil, and Motul brand oils. That may be something I have to look into for future oil changes. I will be sure to keep an eye out though when shopping for the ****** Oil Analysis and see where they stack up against one another.

We just had a Rural King open up by the house. They stock Amsoil for 9.99 a quart. Gonna give it a go in 1000 miles. Was a nice find

dmclone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing that I've noticed regardless of what forum I visit is that it seems like about 90% of the preventive maintenance focuses on engine oil. I understand that it's the lifeblood of your vehicle but I sometimes wonder if there shouldn't be more focus on transmission fluid, air filters, spark plugs, etc. Hell even keeping it clean is important, when I look around I see a lot of older Dodge trucks running fine but have rust holes you could stick your fist through.

OP
OP
boyko59

boyko59

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Sport Night Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
One thing that I've noticed regardless of what forum I visit is that it seems like about 90% of the preventive maintenance focuses on engine oil. I understand that it's the lifeblood of your vehicle but I sometimes wonder if there shouldn't be more focus on transmission fluid, air filters, spark plugs, etc. Hell even keeping it clean is important, when I look around I see a lot of older Dodge trucks running fine but have rust holes you could stick your fist through.

I see a lot of vehicles like that, but I live in Pennsylvania in the unfortunate "Rust Belt" so things go to **** quick up here if you do not take care of them. It's amazing to me how many people nowadays have no idea how to wax their car/truck by hand and think that running it through the car wash on the option that costs an extra dollar is all they need to protect their paint/vehicle.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hell washing and waxing by hand is the only way I can find that won't swirl the paint on a black vehicle.

OP
OP
boyko59

boyko59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hell washing and waxing by hand is the only way I can find that won't swirl the paint on a black vehicle.

What kind of wax do you use? I'm a big fan of Mequiar's. It works great and gives an amazing deep shine, IMO.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bingo thats what I use, mainly because I can get it local and does a great job. I would like to try others like Fukken or adams but just haven't gotten around to ordering it and really i still have a whole tin of Mequiars to go through.

OP
OP
boyko59

boyko59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Bingo thats what I use, mainly because I can get it local and does a great job. I would like to try others like Fukken or adams but just haven't gotten around to ordering it and really i still have a whole tin of Mequiars to go through.

Those tins last forever. A little bit goes a long way with Meguiars.

Diminus

Reaction score
Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i live up in labrador canada, it has gone down below -50 degress celsious here with windchill during winter, and i start my vehicle at 5am when its basickly white with frost and snow. i just been reading thru the post and im still having troubles figuring out what oil to run in these bivering conditions. i been doing warrenty oil changes at the local garage but they just use regular 5w20 out of a drum, on a cold morning noone never heard valve tick till you heard it thru -50 celcious lol. i just want my baby to last a long time. she curently has 30 000 kms but due to i dont like garages doing work on my own vehicles, ( i install a lot of lifts in my town for people) dont trust noone els, and since last winter i have been a volunteer snow groomer operater for the local snowmobile club, which gives me access to the large heated garages that shelter those beasts in winter. so im gonna do my own oil changes from now on. just wants to know what the hell will work best up here in popsicle land. :p

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
5w-20 synthetic with normal oil change intervals for you my friend. That is extreme conditions for sure lol.

OP
OP
boyko59

boyko59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
i live up in labrador canada, it has gone down below -50 degress celsious here with windchill during winter, and i start my vehicle at 5am when its basickly white with frost and snow. i just been reading thru the post and im still having troubles figuring out what oil to run in these bivering conditions. i been doing warrenty oil changes at the local garage but they just use regular 5w20 out of a drum, on a cold morning noone never heard valve tick till you heard it thru -50 celcious lol. i just want my baby to last a long time. she curently has 30 000 kms but due to i dont like garages doing work on my own vehicles, ( i install a lot of lifts in my town for people) dont trust noone els, and since last winter i have been a volunteer snow groomer operater for the local snowmobile club, which gives me access to the large heated garages that shelter those beasts in winter. so im gonna do my own oil changes from now on. just wants to know what the hell will work best up here in popsicle land. :p

Man, that sounds horrible. People here (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) complain when it hits 65°F outside. I'm normally good til about 0°F and then I will start to complain. -50°C (-58°F) sounds terrible though. Burla would be a great person to talk to as he really knows his stuff about oil. I'm new to the site (signed up yesterday), but I have found some great advice so far and Burla is definitely full of it. If he doesn't see this message, I'd suggest sending him one.

OP
OP
boyko59

boyko59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
yeah i gotta find the best oil suitable for my truck up here, it goes down to about -4 celsious in the early morning already here now lol

I do not envy you at all. Mornings here are about 40°F and I love it. Nice crisp morning air that you can toss the windows down in the truck on the way to work still (Despite most people around here thinking I'm crazy for doing so)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

It is a much better argument for the use of synthetic gear and transmission oils then engine oil. The dissipation of heat alone is well worth the cost, not to mention lubricity and even national chains acknowledge that simply changing to real synthetic doubles the oil life. Funny thing is if national chains like Oilstop tell you double, it really mean triple plus. In fact my plan is to chnage my tranny, transfer case and diff fluid and and not bother to check it until I have 100k plus on it. I am that sure of it, from past use and what 4x4 buddies have run, that it is change it and forget it.

Because of combustion you always need to change engine oil sooner, and you can at least make the argument for less quality oil is necessary there. But with those other areas it would be foolish not to run top shelf oil, it pays for itself and protects your truck better anyhow.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
yeah i gotta find the best oil suitable for my truck up here, it goes down to about -4 celsious in the early morning already here now lol

Group 4 or 5 oil will protect you better at both temperature extremes (hot or cold), it is a very simple fact.

OP
OP
boyko59

boyko59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for checking back in Burla to help them!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I told you I have no off button when it comes to lubrication, the Mods will have to shut me down:)

Anyhow, an oil sticky is the way to go, the information is important to all of us and there are challenges with the hemi and lubrication that all of us should be considering.

If I ever get a digital video Camera I will post up how smooth my hemi runs, doesn't even sounds like a Hemi. I know I'm old school, I still don't have a cell phone other then an old trac phone. Maybe I'll ask my 12 year old nephew, I would bet he could do it in a second with some modern contraption.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
professionalish