Best Wiper Blades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron Basile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The cheapest ones on Amazon. I rarely use the wipers with rain-x....

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
this is the biggest crock of smack!

i have run rain-x washer fulid in my vehicles for at least 10 yrs and never have i had a washer sensor failure. RAM, Toyota, BMW, Jeep.

whom ever reported the above thread probably never ran their washers and the fluid gunked up.

I can't argue with your success. I'm only reporting what has been stated by several owners on various forums. I'm no Rain-X expert but I believe the culprit was reported to be their orange fluid. Can't be sure, going by memory.

DKRGoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
I go to NAPA and get their All Season Blades. Change them out once a year. I believe they're made by ANCO.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Another vote for Bosch Icons. I used to be a fan of RainX but years ago, on a dark, misty night in Missouri, the water beaded up so fine on the windshield that it made it very difficult to see. The wipers would wipe it off but it re-appeared instantly. I know, perhaps unusual circumstances, but once was enough for me. I do use RainX on the boat windshield because it has no wipers at all. It's better than nothing in that instance and I seldom am tooling around at night in my boat.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
this is the biggest crock of smack!

i have run rain-x washer fulid in my vehicles for at least 10 yrs and never have i had a washer sensor failure. RAM, Toyota, BMW, Jeep.

whom ever reported the above thread probably never ran their washers and the fluid gunked up.
I can't argue with your success. I'm only reporting what has been stated by several owners on various forums. I'm no Rain-X expert but I believe the culprit was reported to be their orange fluid. Can't be sure, going by memory.
If I'm not mistaken, it doesn't clog up anything or go bad. It has to do with the way the newer sensors collect information. Apparently the Rain X fluids and the ingredients coat the sensor over time causing it to get bad readings. I think cleaning the sensor causes it to work properly again.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
If I'm not mistaken, it doesn't clog up anything or go bad. It has to do with the way the newer sensors collect information. Apparently the Rain X fluids and the ingredients coat the sensor over time causing it to get bad readings. I think cleaning the sensor causes it to work properly again.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
Correct!
Here's from another forum:

There is a washer fluid sensor hat trips off just above empty in the Ram Trucks.
Rain-X will eventually disable the washer fluid sensor.
A coating will build up on the sensor's leads.
Then the EVIC will display the "WASHER FLUID LOW" symbol when the truck starts up.

To clean the sensor:
Remove the wiring harness to the sensor.
Remove the sensor by prying it out with a screwdriver.
Clean the sensor's two metal pins/tabs with Dawn dishwasher soap.
Reinstall in order of removing.

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
I've used Rain-X washer fluid for years and zero problems. I have not tried Bosch but am having good luck with the Rain-X silicone blades.

patmanz28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am split. I like the actual blade of the PIAA, but the rest of the wiper is junk. The build quality on the bosch icons is superb, and so i am trying to figure how to get piaa refills inside the icon frames.

Nathan Jon McCann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Got Bosch Icons on mine and they're just okay...Started to streak at about 20,000 miles (8 months in or so). $50 for a pair you'd figure they're top notch. Either I'm unlucky or the Colorado weather beat them senseless.
I have the same problem. They worked great in Texas. I moved to Colorado and they’re streaking. I’ve got a 2012 Ram 1500 Texas Edition with 63,000 miles. I just put the Bosch wipers on a year ago, or 3000 miles ago. (Off-topic. Crazy fact. The Hemi tick lessened once I got to Colorado)

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I have the same problem. They worked great in Texas. I moved to Colorado and they’re streaking. I’ve got a 2012 Ram 1500 Texas Edition with 63,000 miles. I just put the Bosch wipers on a year ago, or 3000 miles ago. (Off-topic. Crazy fact. The Hemi tick lessened once I got to Colorado)

Yeah, Off topic once again but i recently discovered my 4.7s “hemi tick” was just a faulty fuel injector, still waiting on a replacement but the noise goes away when cold so it’s okay for now until i get the parts in. And yeah regarding the wiper blades, mine started streaming after a while in heavy rain.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max in my 2013 Magnum 4.7L V8

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve been using Trico Neoforms for years! StArted with them on my Tacoma! I always got good use of them! Replaced every spring and fall!

Salty road spray all winter, lots of mud in the summer!

Never had a failure as far as them coming apart! Always held to the glass well...minimal streaming, even with heavy mud and ice!

Still haven’t had any reason to try anything else!

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I’ve been using Trico Neoforms for years! StArted with them on my Tacoma! I always got good use of them! Replaced every spring and fall!

Salty road spray all winter, lots of mud in the summer!

Never had a failure as far as them coming apart! Always held to the glass well...minimal streaming, even with heavy mud and ice!

Still haven’t had any reason to try anything else!

Thanks for that info. I have added them to my list.

Can't believe a post on Wiper Blades has become 3 pages long. Lot's of interest and good suggestions

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also used Rainx washer fluid for years BUT I never ran it 100%. I always topped it off with it. My daughter ran the 14 I used to own out completely . I filled it with the Orange Rainx and a few months later the light came on. I seen the threads here and other Ram forums that the Rainx coats the sensor and it thinks its out of fluid. About 10 seconds with a brush that was designed to be put down a sink drain fixed it . It happened again so I guess it has happened every 6 months or so , Big deal. Its not smack its a fact.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
I have been using rain x (oarnge fluid) in my 2k4 ever since i bought the truck ten yrs ago and my low washer fluid light has only came on about three times when i let it get low,i usually top it off when i ck under the hood every few weeks.this sensor problem must be something in newer trucks.makes sense because just about everything that was made in the past is better, be it trucks,sensors and even people.

Tahoebronco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Here's my 2 1/2 cents worth: I've lived in Idaho and northern Nevada for the past 30 years. Due to the winter snow (when it flies), I found the metal framed wipers ice up and are hard to get clear. My 1989 Dakota Convertible pick up and 1998 Ram 1500 had the metal frames as OEM.

I remember in the early 90's the double blades were a rage - until the first off road excursion and they packed up with mud or snow. What a nightmare they were!

On my 2005 BMW, I tried replacing the OEM BOSCH blades with a cheaper knock off and found the aerodynamics and wiping performance weren't the same. I ended up getting the BOSCH blades to get the best performance on the BMW.

Like the video referenced in 2 other posts in this thread, I found the BOSCH design without the metal frame to be the best in winter conditions. They just don't build up with ice like the older wipers do - and if they do, they are easy to clear the ice off by smacking the blades to windshield; the ice just breaks away.

I too have clay bar'd my windshield, mirrors, and side windows and found that very effective at removing junk and crud from the glass - then I followed that up by manually applying the RAIN-X (either in liquid squeeze bottle or spray on) directly to the glass and buffing off. I'd repeat the RAIN-X application 2 or 3 times to insure uniform coverage and best results. The most I've gotten out of the RAIN-X application has usually been about 2 months, but I do think it's worth the effort to apply. Even in the spring and summer time - as I think it helps when cleaning the bugs off the windshield.

Lastly, I have also found that every time I washed my truck (or car), I'd also make a point of washing the wipers. That helps remove the dead bugs and junk that seems to build up on the blade's edges. The evidence is found in the black streaks of the washing rag or sponge. Washing them seems to keep the blades fresher.

Good luck to all on this forum. Kudos to the OP for asking the question. There's been a lot of responses and as noted by a couple of other posters, even though this subject came up a year or two ago, there are lots of opinions for the lively discussion.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm about due for new wipers. Been using the Bosch icons with no real complaints, they wipe... I had no complaints with the factory wipers so might just get those this time around.
Had to laugh, I was also looking at the trico's. They literally have 16 different models of wipers that would fit my truck. 16! Seriously, it's a wiper? Half of them look identical but claim some sort of different magic compound etc.

What I don't want is a wiper with any kind of water "beading" compound on them (ie: rain x). I absolutely hate what that stuff does to the windshield.

Mike Flea

US ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use Trico Ice, they last me a year which is about 25K of snow and ice then heat, sun and humidity. And my poor vehicles sit outside all year.

Same here, Trico Ice. Mine usually last 2 yrs, but I'm not driving 25k a year. I'm a first responder, ice control, and live in the same Village I work for.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use the rainx blades with the rainx washer fluid...never a problem and the windsheild has pretty.much ended up like I put the rainx stuff on the windshield with the beads of water deal..hardly even need the wipers...southwest fla.