Bilsteins? Replacing old Bils with new Bils?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I've got about 60k miles on my old bils and figure it's time to start looking at replacing them with a new set. I installed 5100s before. I don't offroad, but I do haul a trailer on occassion. Are the 5100s still the best version, or is there something else I need to look at- like a 6112 or some other brand? I'm also running 35s for tires, and will be replacing those soon too.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Im no help but how do you like your Bilsteins ? I do not off road or tow.
How was ride compare to OEM ? Firmer ride ? Too firm ?
Thanks

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you like the way the bilstein feel then I would just put them back in again. My personal opinion was bilsteins kept a sporty feel. I swapped to adjustable fox for a softer ride with the ability to stiffen it up as needed. I think what I have would be overkill for you.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I put bilstein on front when it was time, including dual steering stabilizer kit and noticed an improvement. Rear's are due, but other priorities competing thing.....maybe next month.

If it worked for you, I'd repeat. I plan to.

OP
OP
shadowhawk

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
seems like the way to go- jus rinse and repeat. I haven't been on the forum much the past 2 yrs so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I have 91k on mu OEM shocks so thinking they are next on the replacement list!
I do not need firm as I do not off road, and do not want so firm my jewels hit he in the chin when I hit a bump :O
, My RAM is a street baby ! And what about KGB ?

Daniel Ortiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi V8
@Rado, my experience has been very similar to what @crazykid1994 said, they are stiffer, and you could say they feel more "sporty" than the OEM shocks. However, I never experienced them with the OEM wheels/tires. Right before I had 5100s installed (front & rear) I reduced my wheel size to 17"x8" and thus gained a lot of sidewall flex, and I feel that helped to offset the increased stiffness of the Bilsteins.

Personally, I love the overall effect the bouncier tire and stiffer suspension has had. Although it's not as "floaty" anymore, it does feel more "in control," and it's not unpleasant. It probably also helps that I only set the front 5100s to 2.1", as I think the more you extend your suspension, the harsher it feels.

@shadowhawk , I plan on increasing to 35" tires when my Coopers are finished, so I'll see how the 5100s handle those. But so far, I wouldn't hesitate to replace all four corners with the same 5100s, as they are a heck of a value, and I don't offroad enough to justify the added cost of a 6112 (front) or 5160 (rear) at this time.

OP
OP
shadowhawk

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I'm running Fox shocks on the rear. I really need a set of adjustable bags on the rear for trailer towing. Our scout trailer gets kinda heavy.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
@Rado, my experience has been very similar to what @crazykid1994 said, they are stiffer, and you could say they feel more "sporty" than the OEM shocks. However, I never experienced them with the OEM wheels/tires. Right before I had 5100s installed (front & rear) I reduced my wheel size to 17"x8" and thus gained a lot of sidewall flex, and I feel that helped to offset the increased stiffness of the Bilsteins.

Personally, I love the overall effect the bouncier tire and stiffer suspension has had. Although it's not as "floaty" anymore, it does feel more "in control," and it's not unpleasant. It probably also helps that I only set the front 5100s to 2.1", as I think the more you extend your suspension, the harsher it feels.

@shadowhawk , I plan on increasing to 35" tires when my Coopers are finished, so I'll see how the 5100s handle those. But so far, I wouldn't hesitate to replace all four corners with the same 5100s, as they are a heck of a value, and I don't offroad enough to justify the added cost of a 6112 (front) or 5160 (rear) at this time.
Thank you ,good info

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine

I've got 35's on my truck and running the stock black 20's with the 5100's all around and stock springs with the fronts set to 2.1" raised and the ride & control is spot on perfect.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could do 5100's again or if you want something a little smoother, you could move up to 6112's, Fox 2.0's, or even do the Eibach struts and front coils. These options all ride a little different but are smoother than the 5100's.

Message me if you would like a quote on anything.

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5100’s all around with 35’s. Not bad, but feels almost too stiff at times on the road. Probably my fault for running max height + stiffer sidewall BFGs + hitting bumps at 85.