black material on door frames wrinkled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
So step-father has a 2017 Laramie Longhorn and told me the black material on the door posts where the front and rear doors meet is wrinkled. I checked mine when I got home and mine is too. I don't have a pic right not but pretty sure you know what I'm talking about. I have seen others that were wrinkled too. The service manager told him he used a heat gun and just removed this material and the factory paint was underneath. Anyone done this or had theirs fixed?

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes, there is factory paint underneath, and lots of people remove this tape ... It’s easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had the same issue on two of my Rams. I had the dealership replace it one time under warranty and just removed it the next time. There is factory paint under the vinyl wrap.

Use a heat gun, be careful with the direct heat, and peel it off if you want.

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. Will check into peeling it if it gets much worse

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cool. Thanks

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My passenger side has been wrinkled since new. I didn't want to remove it and didn't want the dealership trying to replace it and making it worse.

I don't even notice it now.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Mine have been wrinkled for a couple years. Ive been trying to decide if i want to take it off, replace it with stock, or upgrade with something aftermarket.

Anyone used the Ferreus piano black panels? The pics in the reviews section look pretty good. They make it look like one continuous window. But, there are a couple reviews that indicate they dont fit very well.

The plus is they are polycarbonate panels, not stickers. Polycarbonate is some tough ****. Same stuff Oakley lenses are made of.

Ferreus Industries Piano Black Pillar Post Trim Cover fits: 2009-2014 Dodge Ram 4 Door Model PIL-118-GB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BD4V4MU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gjt3DbTFX6CXT

Last edited:

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My passenger side has been wrinkled since new. I didn't want to remove it and didn't want the dealership trying to replace it and making it worse.

I don't even notice it now.

Same here, think I'm just going to leave mine there unless they get worse (barely noticeable now).

Mine have been wrinkled for a couple years. Ive been trying to decide if i want to take it off, replace it with stock, or upgrade with something aftermarket.

Anyone used the Ferreus piano black panels? The pics in the reviews section look pretty good. They make it look like one continuous window. But, there are a couple reviews that indicate they dont fit very well.

The plus is they are polycarbonate panels, not stickers. Polycarbonate is some tough ****. Same stuff Oakley lenses are made of.

Ferreus Industries Piano Black Pillar Post Trim Cover fits: 2009-2014 Dodge Ram 4 Door Model PIL-118-GB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BD4V4MU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gjt3DbTFX6CXT

I like the looks of those but I actually usually close my door with the edge of my fingers on the flat black tape since it doesn't leave finger prints when the truck is clean. I'd have to figure out a new method with these but I like the way they look.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Same here, think I'm just going to leave mine there unless they get worse (barely noticeable now).

I like the looks of those but I actually usually close my door with the edge of my fingers on the flat black tape since it doesn't leave finger prints when the truck is clean. I'd have to figure out a new method with these but I like the way they look.

Yea, same here.

I have them in my Amazon cart, but im reluctant to pull the trigger without seeing better, closer up pics.

I wanna see detail, like how thick they are, what the edges look like, etc.

Thats the problem with most stuff. Not enough info. They expect you to buy somrthing based of little to no information.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea, same here.

I have them in my Amazon cart, but im reluctant to pull the trigger without seeing better, closer up pics.

I wanna see detail, like how thick they are, what the edges look like, etc.

Thats the problem with most stuff. Not enough info. They expect you to buy somrthing based of little to no information.

Yeah the pictures in the amazon reviews aren't the greatest. They appear to look pretty good with front tinted windows, but would like to see some better pictures regardless.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine still look good rt now...... and I like how it looks , so if mine go bad I'll prob. just remove the vinyl and have it painted there....

LHMegaCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Yea mine did this within the first year, the dealership replaced mine while the truck was there for some recalls and it happened again within a couple months ...

The service rep was trying to convince me to just have them remove it but I didn’t care for the look so now I live with the wrinkles

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It looks better removed to me and costs you nothing.

full

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think when mine gets bad enough I will just remove it. Another option might be plasti-dip in flat black?

bigdodge

Reaction score
You can buy the vinyl. I got some on Amazon for a few dollars. Very easy to do

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had same problem ,my dealer replaced all four of them. And now it is worse then before. Have to go back and have them re-due it . Was thinking of buying the caps that go over them if Mopar makes them that would be cool.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So step-father has a 2017 Laramie Longhorn and told me the black material on the door posts where the front and rear doors meet is wrinkled. I checked mine when I got home and mine is too. I don't have a pic right not but pretty sure you know what I'm talking about. I have seen others that were wrinkled too. The service manager told him he used a heat gun and just removed this material and the factory paint was underneath. Anyone done this or had theirs fixed?

Mine was wrinkled from the get go and after reading on here where people were just peeling it off, I decided to take a chance and peel mine off and I couldn’t be happier. 42f7f33788a5415fbd3b1389ceeb0240.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Those are cool. Wonder if those’ll fit the other 4 years of 4th-gens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro