Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
By the way, for those running 2017 and newer trucks that require the use of the new motor oils that meet the API SP and API SN and SN Plus (cans have a Starburst symbol), the lab motor oil tests are worthless.

These new motor oils are much more effective at low viscosity and need to be with their 5W and 0W ratings. The oils have to meet much more stringent testing that is based on actual hours of engine operation where the engines are torn down and the parts are examined and the wear is measured.

The new test requirements cover kinematic viscosity increase at 40 degrees celsius, piston deposits, average cam plus lifter wear, cam wear, engine sludge, rocker cover sludge, engine varnish, oil screen sludge, hot stuck rings, cold stuck rings, oil ring clogging, bearing weight loss, aged oil low temp viscosity, phosphorous retention, high temp high shear viscosity (this is critical with multi-grade motor oils to avoid polymer shearing), evaporation loss at 250 degrees celsius, percent flow reduction with various level of water in the oil, foaming tendency and stability, high temperature foaming tendency and stability, homogeneity and miscibility, high temperature deposits, emulsion retention, and elastomer compatibility. None of this information can be provided by consumer oil analysis lab.

If an oil meets these specifications then it will do the job. For my 2018 SUV I use Mobile 1 simply because it is easy to find. Amsoil is not fit for my diesel truck with its poor additive mix and not reason to pay more for less. For the diesel truck I use Valvoline Premium Blue which also happens to be what Cummins uses. The Valvoline has one of the best additive mixes for diesel engine use and it is reasonably priced and it is also available at the local Ram dealer.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
That may be all true, I'm not disagreeing about PUP 0w40,or other top tier oil's, not being great oil. What I'm monitoring is how much wear and contaminants are in a sample at a given time in my engines life. It's not necessarily the "oil" that I'm worried about.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
By the way, for those running 2017 and newer trucks that require the use of the new motor oils that meet the API SP and API SN and SN Plus (cans have a Starburst symbol), the lab motor oil tests are worthless.

These new motor oils are much more effective at low viscosity and need to be with their 5W and 0W ratings. The oils have to meet much more stringent testing that is based on actual hours of engine operation where the engines are torn down and the parts are examined and the wear is measured.

The new test requirements cover kinematic viscosity increase at 40 degrees celsius, piston deposits, average cam plus lifter wear, cam wear, engine sludge, rocker cover sludge, engine varnish, oil screen sludge, hot stuck rings, cold stuck rings, oil ring clogging, bearing weight loss, aged oil low temp viscosity, phosphorous retention, high temp high shear viscosity (this is critical with multi-grade motor oils to avoid polymer shearing), evaporation loss at 250 degrees celsius, percent flow reduction with various level of water in the oil, foaming tendency and stability, high temperature foaming tendency and stability, homogeneity and miscibility, high temperature deposits, emulsion retention, and elastomer compatibility. None of this information can be provided by consumer oil analysis lab.

If an oil meets these specifications then it will do the job. For my 2018 SUV I use Mobile 1 simply because it is easy to find. Amsoil is not fit for my diesel truck with its poor additive mix and not reason to pay more for less. For the diesel truck I use Valvoline Premium Blue which also happens to be what Cummins uses. The Valvoline has one of the best additive mixes for diesel engine use and it is reasonably priced and it is also available at the local Ram dealer.
Worthless is a stretch! You mention you like Valvoline premium blue because it has a good additive package, we use Oil Analysis to see what the additive package is in our oil of choice. There is No other way to obtain that information. Sheer stability and cSt in “real world applications “ are both important information.
You being in a v6 might not need to worry about a lifter seizing and eating the cam but us Hemi owners do. Oil strategy is all we got and oil analysis is part of that strategy.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It says the viscosity is a little thick?

Ya, not sure what’s up with that, no contaminates.......

Great report, that viscosity is on par with Redline. Over 10k miles on that oil, very impressive!

I thought it was pretty good, didn’t really mean to run it that long but life happens.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Finally did an oil sample, only took 5 1/2 years and 97k miles.........

View attachment 176826

Is that the first time you tried redline? Redline is often just over limits of weight, so they were mentioning that it is over 12.5 which is the limit of 30 weight. Looks very good, but I bet if you did another uoa the wear would fal very much only if that was first redline run. If not, those wear numbers are top 90% for hemi with 10k mile run. Your interval is solid and perfect, I would run that many miles everytime. Do you use a spun microglass filter?

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is that the first time you tried redline? Redline is often just over limits of weight, so they were mentioning that it is over 12.5 which is the limit of 30 weight. Looks very good, but I bet if you did another uoa the wear would fal very much only if that was first redline run. If not, those wear numbers are top 90% for hemi with 10k mile run. Your interval is solid and perfect, I would run that many miles everytime. Do you use a spun microglass filter?

Been running the Hemi Honey with a RP 20-820 for about 30k now.....

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Been running the Hemi Honey with a RP 20-820 for about 30k now.....

Then likely those will be your standard wear numbers, maybe trend down a bit, but not drastic. Still, I'll trade you, my wear numbers are times 3 that. Look through this thread, I'd feel pretty happy if I were you as far as wear goes.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Finally did an oil sample, only took 5 1/2 years and 97k miles.........

View attachment 176826
Imo [emoji1303] Great report for [emoji817] k on a 5.7 , I'll be doing one soon on my 14 Ram with near 90K [emoji1360][emoji1360]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Imo [emoji1303] Great report for [emoji817] k on a 5.7 , I'll be doing one soon on my 14 Ram with near 90K [emoji1360][emoji1360]

As much as I always “listen” to my truck and hear every little sound or noise she makes, I have to say she is still running strong............on the original plugs no less!

She’s been tuned for her whole life and even with 60k on the lift, I’m still rock’n all original upper and lower control arms, bushings, rear end links, you name it. I thoroughly DRIVE my truck and still enjoy it every dagum time I fire her up.

Now I purposely jinxed myself so I can justify buying some new “mods” for the suspension failures or engine “troubles” that are pending at any moment now ;)

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine

Have you been running Redline since day one?

J's_Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some of you guys have seen my videos on the engine clatter thread. I’ve been to the dealer twice to have the noisy valve train looked at. Both times I was told it is completely normal. So I decided to do a UOA. I changed the dealer fill out at 1500 miles since the engine seemed to be extra noisy after the last change. I’m completely clueless when it comes to this report, but, Blackstone states the engine wear is looking good. Also, I bought a maintenance package when I got the truck in 2015 so that is why I was going to the dealer for every change. Now I am running PUP and a wix xp filter and plan to change every 4-5k. Truck now has 45k.

7CFD2942-D411-4FC9-8B00-88873A8F5555.png

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Some of you guys have seen my videos on the engine clatter thread. I’ve been to the dealer twice to have the noisy valve train looked at. Both times I was told it is completely normal. So I decided to do a UOA. I changed the dealer fill out at 1500 miles since the engine seemed to be extra noisy after the last change. I’m completely clueless when it comes to this report, but, Blackstone states the engine wear is looking good. Also, I bought a maintenance package when I got the truck in 2015 so that is why I was going to the dealer for every change. Now I am running PUP and a wix xp filter and plan to change every 4-5k. Truck now has 45k.

View attachment 177386
The 3 main wear metals to look for are copper, iron and aluminum. Lead and tin are also bad but not usually associated with normal wear. Over all your report looks good, aluminum is a little high at 3 ppm for such a short run. It’s good your having your oil tested, you can now build trends moving forward to see the health of your engine.
Bottom line is you can sleep well knowing your engine is doing good.
PUP is a really good oil and I think your future reports will look good as well.

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK after 46 years of driving doing own oil changes I never had an oil analysis performed for any of my vehicles. Thanks to this forum i have since learned of the dreaded hemi tic. No i dont have it yet.....and i dont want it. Truck has about 7250 mi on it. At 2500 mi i changed out the factory oil with PUP 10w30. I perform my changes at 6000-6500 mi and do a tire rotation at the same time. Will have this OC tested and see how the PUP performed. Im going to tweek the next OC using PUP 5w30 and a moly additive Liqi Moly MoS2. The add may be snake oil.....will find out after second test.

Hope i can give some good readings to others but my OCI is almost 8 months.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
OK after 46 years of driving doing own oil changes I never had an oil analysis performed for any of my vehicles. Thanks to this forum i have since learned of the dreaded hemi tic. No i dont have it yet.....and i dont want it. Truck has about 7250 mi on it. At 2500 mi i changed out the factory oil with PUP 10w30. I perform my changes at 6000-6500 mi and do a tire rotation at the same time. Will have this OC tested and see how the PUP performed. Im going to tweek the next OC using PUP 5w30 and a moly additive Liqi Moly MoS2. The add may be snake oil.....will find out after second test.

Hope i can give some good readings to others but my OCI is almost 8 months.
I’ll be looking forward to the UOA of PUP 10w30. If your wanting more Moly I would add 2-3 quarts of PUP 0w40; the 40 weight has doubled the Moly. I think that would be better than adding an additive. But you have such low miles the 40 weight and warranty don’t play well together. So maybe the additive is an option.