Block heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Voha123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
So I found the block heater and realized it only goes about 5". So I needed to put an extension cord. So when leaving in the morning I have to pop my hood and take out the extension cord and close the hood. Anyone found a remedy to this annoying situation. I thought there would be better engineering on a $80k truck.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it were me I'd drop the extension through the engine bay onto the ground and do it that way. I can see the ground from my truck, I'm pretty sure. That's the way I've used block heaters in the past.

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I put an inlet in the plastic part of the bumper.
Doesn't look like space to do that on the 2019 bumpers.

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
...or just put a permanent extension cord from the block heater to the bumper area. Then just unplug from outside without having to open the hood. I have mine located at the tow hooks.

OP
OP
V

Voha123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
...or just put a permanent extension cord from the block heater to the bumper area. Then just unplug from outside without having to open the hood. I have mine located at the tow hooks.

Yup this is what I am going to do. It shouldve been done from the factory IMO its a hassle.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had this complaint the second after I got home with my 5th gen. ALL my previous rams had enough cord to reach the front grille, not on the '19... I asked my dealer and he had no ideas.

Here's my thread with some discussion: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/2019-block-heater-issue-really.133309/

Basically right now I've been popping the hood. Once the weather stops being dire (in May) I plan to work out an extension zip-tied along a path that keeps the wire safe but accessible using an extension cord. I'm just not sure yet if I'll splice and shrink tube the extension on or just plug it in to the original cord and extend that way. Either way it seems a ridiculous way to save 0.50cents on wire at the factory.

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would just plug it into the original cord...that way, for warranty, they can't say you messed up the block heater with the splice.

OP
OP
V

Voha123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
So reading through the manual it says the cord is the near front. But on the truck it’s clearly near the back of the engine passenger side. Thoughts ?

E562606C-F8F7-4113-BD6E-E5B81F42B599.jpeg