Brake controller and no touch screen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

terrible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just ordered the dorman "factory" brake controller from rock auto and had a question. My 2014 express has the bargain basement non-touch screen head unit. When I install the controller will I be able to see the setting on the info screen on the dash or will I have to upgrade my head unit as well?

I plan on installing an aftermarket head unit after I get the brake controller, topper and a few other things done. But right now a new stereo is on the bottom of the list.

Thanks for any help!

Shiva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can't answer your question but pretty sure if you ask about ordering the factory controller at a dealer parts counter they will ask for your VIN and say it's a go or no.

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
On my 2012 1500, I installed the factory controller. It worked correctly, but I had to make all adjustments directly on the controller until I got AlfaOBD and turned on the ITBM. Once I did that, the controller showed up on my EVIC.

My 2014 2500 has a different trailer brake controller, that doesn't have a display on it. I'm guessing yours will be the same. I'm sure it would work, but may need to have the option added to the computer so it will show up in the EVIC to function correctly.