Brake drag or bad alignment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevinInVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hello, I'm looking for some insight from some more experienced individuals.

I recently had my truck aligned and now it is pulling to the left. It did not pull previously, but felt like I had to constantly correct on the highway and my winter tires never wore right. Summer tires wore even for some reason.

The tech that worked on my vehicle said the left front caliper was dragging. I have taken all 4 calipers apart, cleaned and lubed pads, sliders, etc and verified everything moves freely. With the front end in the air I can spin the left front tire and I heard the pad drag very slightly. I get about 1 full rotation with minimal effort, but the wheel stops quickly. Right side will spin a few rotations with equal effort, no audible dragging. It does seem like the left caliper may not be fully retracting, although I can see it retract some.

What seems odd to me is that the truck pulls to the left when cruising as well as when I brake. There is no difference. If the alignment was good wouldn't it drive straight when braking and pull left when cruising? I did not get a print out from when they did the alignment.

Any insight is appreciated. If I should do further diagnosis please let me know. The only thing I can think to do is actually measure the retraction with a dial indicator.

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the alignment is off the outside side of the passenger front tire will feather or the inside driver’s front tire will feather if you’re pulling to the left. If the front driver side brake is dragging use an infrared temp gun and measure the temp. If it’s dragging it’ll be hotter than the right side. Be aware that infrared temp guns are sensitive to shiny surfaces and sometimes difficult to get a great reading. Shoot for a darker area but the same areas on both sides.

OP
OP
K

KevinInVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
If the alignment is off the outside side of the passenger front tire will feather or the inside driver’s front tire will feather if you’re pulling to the left. If the front driver side brake is dragging use an infrared temp gun and measure the temp. If it’s dragging it’ll be hotter than the right side. Be aware that infrared temp guns are sensitive to shiny surfaces and sometimes difficult to get a great reading. Shoot for a darker area but the same areas on both sides.
I forgot to add that I did measure with IR temp gun and after driving the left side was only 10 to 15 degrees hotter. Measured both sides where the pad makes contact bit close to the rotor hat as that was the hottest spot of the rotor on both sides. The temp difference seems minimal and was consistent after both a 20 minute drive and an hour drive on 50+ roads. I put my summer tires on just after the alignment and has only been a few hundred miles, no odd wear currently.

OP
OP
K

KevinInVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Flex line.
Any tips on how to test this? With the truck running, I have pumped the brakes several times and then cracked the bleeder. Fluid did not squirt out with force, but dribbled out and there was no noticable reduction in the drag when spinning the wheel after. That seems to be the main indicator I have read about it that fluid would shoot out and allow the caliper to release.

For whatever reason the flex hoses on these trucks are not terribly cheap. $50 for the driver front, non air suspension hose at Napa.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what made you get alignment in first place new tires? Its probably going to be a alignment issue take it to another shop check algnment if its off tell them print a sheet before they do the alignment so you can take it back to the shop you had it done at and get ur $$ back.

OP
OP
K

KevinInVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
what made you get alignment in first place new tires? Its probably going to be a alignment issue take it to another shop check algnment if its off tell them print a sheet before they do the alignment so you can take it back to the shop you had it done at and get ur $$ back.
I had the alignment done as it has never been checked since I bought the truck new in 2018. The winter tires never wore right and would always scallop. I wondered if that was due to the winters being directional tires, so they only get rotated front to back as I have them mounted on a second set of wheels. The summer tires always wore fine and were rotated normally.

My gut is also telling me to go to another shop and have the alignment checked again, being sure to request a printout this time.

OP
OP
K

KevinInVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Thanks everyone for their input. I was finally able to get it back in to check the alignment this morning and was sure to get a print out. Pretty alarming what the starting point was. Haven't driven the truck much, but so far it seems to track straight, although the steering wheel may be pointed to the left some.

Attachments

• PXL_20230502_140513100.jpg
    PXL_20230502_140513100.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 9

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
I know you got it solved but....if your brakes were dragging enough to pull you'd be able to feel the wheels (careful, hot) and the one that was dragging would be HOT HOT HOT after a drive. Wouldn't need the gun.