Braking clunk/Slip Yoke/Xfer Case Fluid Level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I've been going through my new to me '14 with 67K on it. (CC/4x4/SB/44-44 Big Horn). I get an intermittent "clunk" when braking and sometimes when taking off from a stop.

I've read that the fix for this clunk might be greasing down the splines in the slip yoke.

Today I noticed the fluid level in the xfer case is about 3/4" down from the fill port. I could touch fluid but I had to work for it.

I'm curious if the xfer case fluid isn't supposed to lube the yoke splines in the normal course of driving?

I'm a little leery of running any kind of grease into the xfer case and affecting the clutch pack.

In any event some of MOPAR's mystery xfer case fluid is due in at the dealer and I'll do a drain and fill.

The "clunk'? Who knows?

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'd check front end components too.
A clunk when braking and accelerating could indicate a loose balljoint or worn bushings.

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The “clunk” might be the trans shifting. Mine is smooth on a regular basis. When I go on a long road trip 1200miles each way of pure highway driving the trans seems to learn that habit. The next day after I return I’ll get the clunk usually when slowing to a stop in around town driving. The day after it’s back to normal after doing some running around.

KiloHotel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it a quiet clunk? I get one from time to time, to me it feels like slack in the drive train

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it a quiet clunk? I get one from time to time, to me it feels like slack in the drive train
I’ve had that before as well.

Intermittent, not loud, but if you’re the driver you can feel it if you’re accelerating/decelerating the right (wrong) way.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I've read that the fix for this clunk might be greasing down the splines in the slip yoke.

Today I noticed the fluid level in the xfer case is about 3/4" down from the fill port. I could touch fluid but I had to work for it.

I'm curious if the xfer case fluid isn't supposed to lube the yoke splines in the normal course of driving?

I'm a little leery of running any kind of grease into the xfer case and affecting the clutch pack.

The transfer case fluid is just for the transfer case. Lubing the splines won't effect the clutches in the transfer case. Some people with Jeeps even use never-seizure greese on driveshaft splines.
With the BW44-44 transfer case, it's recommended to use the factory fluid but people have reported other fluids like Amsoil to work also.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The clunk could be from the trans downshifting or back lash from the rear diff, I get it sometimes on mine if I accelerate and have to hit the brake, the spline being dry don't help either.